Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree823Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Let's post up some pics of everyone's chassis and body!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Nice car!

The Ford GT body is almost 20 grams heavier than most WGT-R bodies; so, the BMI car's light weight should help that situation. Wish that Protoform would come out with a lightweight version of the body.

Although it is hard to tell from the picture...Looks like the steering servo should be spaced forward (with spacers) to improve the angle of the steering tie rods going from the servo saver to the steering knuckles.
But...it could just be a perspective issue with the photo.

Bill
Thanks Bill, you pointed that out at 209 last week. I will be adjusting that before the next outing. I'm curious to see what effect the GT body has on the car. I hope we get a couple more carpet days at 209 since the weather is questionable and the turnouts are still pretty strong. Fingers crossed...🤞
Old 02-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog
Thanks Bill, you pointed that out at 209 last week. I will be adjusting that before the next outing. I'm curious to see what effect the GT body has on the car. I hope we get a couple more carpet days at 209 since the weather is questionable and the turnouts are still pretty strong. Fingers crossed...🤞
Rick,

Going in for knee surgery in a few days here; so, this carpet season is pretty much done for me. Dang!

When I am up to it, I will be showing up at Speedworld and Ripon with my outdoor WGT-R car.

But, a second knee surgery looms; so, I am writing off most of 2017...

Yes, you drove great at the last race at Stockton. We need more like you in the class! Thanks for joining in.

Bill
Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
Let's post up some pics of everyone's chassis and body!
Chris,

Here are pictures of my current CRC WGT-R cars.

First one is configured with an in-line battery and a Protoform PFM-10 body and the second one is configured with a transverse battery and a Protoform Ford GT body.

The in-line battery car features a fifth body post on the front brace (something I am still experimenting with); and, uses pretty much the same setup as Dumper (Brian Wynn). Forgive the red center spring (more experimenting).

The transverse battery car is a work in progress. Car weighs almost 1050 grams which is a tad heavy. Planning on installing the new Hobbywing 1S ESC to help bring the weight down towards the 1025 gram minimum. Will also clean up the wiring when I get around to it.

Both cars are using the GFRP body posts that I got from CRC. Love these posts that Dumper recommended; but, they do add weight to the car.

Hope these pictures help.

Questions?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails World GT-R Rules and Discussion-20170219_095602_resized.jpg   World GT-R Rules and Discussion-20170219_095011_resized.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Chris,

Here are pictures of my current CRC WGT-R cars.

First one is configured with an in-line battery and a Protoform PFM-10 body and the second one is configured with a transverse battery and a Protoform Ford GT body.

The in-line battery car features a fifth body post on the front brace (something I am still experimenting with); and, uses pretty much the same setup as Dumper (Brian Wynn). Forgive the red center spring (more experimenting).

The transverse battery car is a work in progress. Car weighs almost 1050 grams which is a tad heavy. Planning on installing the new Hobbywing 1S ESC to help bring the weight down towards the 1025 gram minimum. Will also clean up the wiring when I get around to it.

Both cars are using the GFRP body posts that I got from CRC. Love these posts that Dumper recommended; but, they do add weight to the car.

Hope these pictures help.

Questions?

Bill
I tried to mount that body on my LE and didn't like how it fit in the back looks like you made it work on yours.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hobbyten
I tried to mount that body on my LE and didn't like how it fit in the back looks like you made it work on yours.
Per the Protoform guy that designed the Ford GT body, I was told to utilize the widest rear holes of the newer WGT-R/T chassis to mount the body.

In checking my WGT-R/T, SE and LE chassis...Looks that the widest position of the mounting holes for the rear posts on the new WGT-R/T kit are placed about 1/8" wider and 1/8" back from where they are on the SE chassis...And there is even more difference (huge) in the LE chassis.

Explains your issue with its mounting on an LE chassis; so, I would probably nix the Ford GT body with the older CRC Gen X-10 chassis'.

Didn't notice that until you brought it up. Good catch!

Bill
Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Per the Protoform guy that designed the Ford GT body, I was told to utilize the widest rear holes of the newer WGT-R/T chassis to mount the body.

In checking my WGT-R/T, SE and LE chassis...Looks that the widest position of the mounting holes for the rear posts on the new WGT-R/T kit are placed about 1/8" wider and 1/8" back from where they are on the SE chassis...And there is even more difference (huge) in the LE chassis.

Explains your issue with its mounting on an LE chassis; so, I would probably nix the Ford GT body with the older CRC Gen X-10 chassis'.

Bill
Hey all, I would like to gather some info on these mounting locations to design a more universal plate to provide a wider selection of body post positions regardless of which CRC you have.
1 are all CRC chassis using the same hole pattern for where the rear plates attach to the chassis plate?

More questions to come.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Actually, the body post holes in the carbon fiber front bumper moved when that part was updated too. Caused me fits with my body fitment until I noticed then too. LOL

Did recently suggest to CRC that we need optional holes for body post placement in the front bumper like we have at the back.

FYI...Three of my past suggestions have been incorporated into production changes and/or parts for the WGT and 1/12th cars. CRC (Frank and Brian) listens!

Bill
Old 02-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by YoDog
Hey all, I would like to gather some info on these mounting locations to design a more universal plate to provide a wider selection of body post positions regardless of which CRC you have.
1 are all CRC chassis using the same hole pattern for where the rear plates attach to the chassis plate?

More questions to come.
Rick,

I would regard all the rear body post positions as "improvements" between the CRC Pro/LE/SE/RT chassis.

I am thinking that there is too limited a market for a universal plate because the great majority committed to the class are running the new R/T chassis; and, it would only apply to the fitment of the Ford GT body.

Bill

Last edited by Still Bill; 02-19-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Clarifications
Old 02-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is my ride....

Chassis is converted CRC LE car with a modified servo mount of my own creation. Time will tell how well it works, first race with this arrangement is about a week away. She's a tick heavy (1050 I believe) but I can shave some weight here and there if needed. The TSR motor should be a little lighter than the motor that is in there now so that will help.

Body is a HPI 7447 Trans Am. Only had it (and the car as a whole) out for a shakedown run and it felt pretty good. I did have to make up some pieces to widen the rear mounts to get the TA body to fit right. The widest stock LE mounts put the posts right in the rear sail panel. I plan to make up some new one piece mounts or see if the new RT car mount will bolt to the LE.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the Protoform Ford GT body mounted on my older LE chassis in this position:

They come out on the body here:

I like how they are kind of hidden, but they can be a pain to get the body pins in and out of, and the lexan is really thin in that spot...
Old 02-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Bill
I went ahead and sold the body so I could try something else.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ccm399
Here is my ride....

Chassis is converted CRC LE car with a modified servo mount of my own creation. Time will tell how well it works, first race with this arrangement is about a week away. She's a tick heavy (1050 I believe) but I can shave some weight here and there if needed. The TSR motor should be a little lighter than the motor that is in there now so that will help.

Body is a HPI 7447 Trans Am. Only had it (and the car as a whole) out for a shakedown run and it felt pretty good. I did have to make up some pieces to widen the rear mounts to get the TA body to fit right. The widest stock LE mounts put the posts right in the rear sail panel. I plan to make up some new one piece mounts or see if the new RT car mount will bolt to the LE.

ccm399,

I dug into my spare parts and came up with the optional CRC front plate used to turn the servo around on the LE model. If you want it, PM me your address and I will mail it your way.

By turning your battery end-to-end you can shorten those two battery wires significantly which will lower your weight about 10 grams...and reduce resistance. Attached is a picture of how I dremeled out my top deck to accommodate the connections. And this also applies to jdob's car.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails World GT-R Rules and Discussion-20170219_175031_resized.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Which rear bumper brace is working the best on the PFM 10 bodies?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ccm399,

I dug into my spare parts and came up with the optional CRC front plate used to turn the servo around on the LE model. If you want it, PM me your address and I will mail it your way.

By turning your battery end-to-end you can shorten those two battery wires significantly which will lower your weight about 10 grams...and reduce resistance. Attached is a picture of how I dremeled out my top deck to accommodate the connections. And this also applies to jdob's car.

Bill
Thanks for the offer! I'll shoot my address over to you. Thanks for the pic on the Dremel mod. I was planning to swap the top plate for something different so I could swap the battery end of end. I hadn't gotten around to taking a closer look at it but I'm sure I could Dremel it out like your pic shows. Plus I need to pickup some 14ga wire, all I had was 12 and I'm guessing that is over kill for a 17.5 (even a TSR 17.5). Both those things will shave some weight.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.