R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree39Likes

Old 10-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #841
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumper View Post
What would people's thoughts be if we were to go to 13.5 1s on tracks 80 feet and longer? Please be honest. If you want your opinion heard privately, feel free to PM Me......

I ran 13.5 at IIC for a practice, and I thought my car handled exactly the same, just a little quicker in a straight line. Granted that track was huge, and not the most technical layout ever, but it was fun.

Anyways, let us know what you think.
Works for me

Seems to me the cars could handle the extra power. I'd run 13.5 and 1S for a season of F1 in the UK, and had plenty of grip with good handling. The UK Nationals tend to be on larger tracks so 13.5 would attract more interest (for reference World GT foam has just gone to 10.5 blinky here).
MarkBurgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #842
Tech Addict

Quote:
What would people's thoughts be if we were to go to 13.5 1s on tracks 80 feet and longer? Please be honest. If you want your opinion heard privately, feel free to PM Me......

I ran 13.5 at IIC for a practice, and I thought my car handled exactly the same, just a little quicker in a straight line. Granted that track was huge, and not the most technical layout ever, but it was fun.

I would be interested in trying it and I will float the balloon at the Gate.
Several have said they think our rubber tire oval class needs more power than our current 17.5 spec motor. I plan on testing a 13.5 in that at the next oval race.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #843
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
I've always been a proponent of sticking with the original recipe. WGT has been 13.5t 1s for quite a while so why change it just because the tires and bodies had changed. I think 13.5 adds more opportunity for passing for both large and smaller tracks. I ran mine with a 13.5 on the Fresno outdoor track and it was a lot of fun. Grant it, I was the only one with a WGT-R so I was forced to run with the USGT cars. I still took 3rd! Many of the races I've seen and viewed the results of, were just a freight train with practically no passing. The only passing was due to mistakes and then the driver who made the mistake had almost no opportunity to recover. Maybe have an FDR limit based on the size of the track and let the power plant be 13.5 for all tracks. That would be interesting. Top end for biggies and grunt for the smaller tracks.
FDR is never a good option for 1 cell blinky IMO. It creates a "have to buy this motor to run this ratio"
TOM MAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #844
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I wish that it was 2s with a 21.5 or 25.5. With the low profile shorty 2s batteries getting close to 4000mah, I think it could work.
Has anyone tried 2s non-LCG shorty batteries with taller standoffs? I am concerned that it might significantly change the handling.
Hey Scott - This is what I am going to be playing with. I am running the older LE with the slider pod conversion. I have the normal height 2S shorty pack with taller stand-offs and 21.5. My car is finished, just need to paint my body and it will be ready to hit the track for the next on-road race/practice at The RUG. Dodson also has his WGT-R car ready to go with 2S (1S Size) / 21.5.

https://www.facebook.com/SBRCMotorsp...PAGES_TIMELINE

Justin
jdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #845
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

Totally agree that the current WGT-R with a 17.5 blinky/1S pack combo is too slow on larger carpet and asphalt tracks. So, I plan on dropping in a 13.5 motor (still blinky) for both forms of on-road racing in the future. And hoping that the IIC, Snowbirds and the other big races will follow suit.

Bill
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #846
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Totally agree that the current WGT-R with a 17.5 blinky/1S pack combo is too slow on larger carpet and asphalt tracks. So, I plan on dropping in a 13.5 motor (still blinky) for both forms of on-road racing in the future. And hoping that the IIC, Snowbirds and the other big races will follow suit.

Bill
It's what kept me from considering this class. f1 guys have run 21.5/2s or 13.5/1s with very similar performance. The speed is more appropriate for outdoor tracks and the tires will have no problem with the increase in speed.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #847
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
It's what kept me from considering this class. f1 guys have run 21.5/2s or 13.5/1s with very similar performance. The speed is more appropriate for outdoor tracks and the tires will have no problem with the increase in speed.
John,

If you want to play, we could meet mid-way at Speedworld for some WGT-R using 13.5s?

Speedworld is really nice with its new berms.

Bill
Old 10-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #848
Tech Elite

I don't have one yet but would meet you there for some practice.
Quote:
John,

If you want to play, we could meet mid-way at Speedworld for some WGT-R using 13.5s?

Speedworld is really nice with its new berms.

Bill
Old 10-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #849
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
I don't have one yet but would meet you there for some practice.
But, I have two...and two radios. And, could easily convert another WGT over to a WGT-R.

Bill
Old 10-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #850
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

great roller to get into WGT-R... make me an offer if seriously interested..

Barely Ran Xray X10 '16 WGT-R Roller (any interest)
Old 10-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #851
Tech Elite

Quote:
But, I have two...and two radios. And, could easily convert another WGT over to a WGT-R.

Bill
Hey Bill,Carpet season has been announced at 209.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #852
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone have any links to setups for the gen-x 10 se to convert it to run rubbers?
Thanks guys.
Paco1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #853
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:

We are on a large track (112 foot straight) and running the 13.5. As you stated, infield speed is the same for either motor. One of our racers was running a 17.5 and was only a couple tenths off and it was only noticeable on the long back straight.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #854
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
We are on a large track (112 foot straight) and running the 13.5. As you stated, infield speed is the same for either motor. One of our racers was running a 17.5 and was only a couple tenths off and it was only noticeable on the long back straight.
We had pretty much the same results when we tried 13.5.s a few weeks ago our track has a 70' Straight & ran the same lap times as my 17.5
TOM MAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #855
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1001 View Post
Does anyone have any links to setups for the gen-x 10 se to convert it to run rubbers?
Thanks guys.
When I decided to convert one of my SE cars over to WGT-R, I called Dumper (Brian Wynn) at CRC.

Dumper said that I had two options:
1) Buy the left and right pod side plates ("tall tire" for the f1 car #3440 & #3442) to convert the back; and, add spacers to the front plate to accommodate the taller tires. Cost: About $40.
2) Add spacers under the left and right pod side plates to convert the back; and, same as above for the front. Cost: Less than $10.

I chose the first option; but, Dumper says the cheaper second option is just as good. Had some old Manutech aluminum spacers to do the front which worked very well.

And, since then, I have also built a new WGT-R/T car too.

Cheers!

Bill