Search
Like Tree827Likes

World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ah ha! Now I know who jetnjme is...

Back to business...Unpackaging the Ford GT today to check its fitment on my CRC WGT-R car.

Bill
Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It fits well. I have already seen pictures of them on people's cars.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnn27
As far as fit, weight, handling and popularity which bodies on the list are most popular for 200mm Rubber tires??
The HPI Porsche 911 GT1 and PF M10 are the two I run. I've also run the HPI Supra, GT-R and PF Camaro ZL1. The narrowest one is the PF M10 and it will fit over the CRC and SpeedMerchant. With the CRC, all you have to do is put in two long screws in the two corners where the front bumper mounts instead of using the body post holes in the CF bumper brace, then shave the foam bumper to fit the body. I run an old school CRC foam bumper on my Speedmerchant trimmed to fit most bodies.

Again, these are mostly preference. One of the best bodies I've seen on other cars is the PF Cadillac. Another is the HPI MR2.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

CRC Rubber Tires:

Hey Dumper, we are wanting to try a variation of the GT-R class on the high banked/high speed VELODROMES.

Running a pretty stock WGT type flat track setup with an oval truck body (lower front downforce) that truck was a nightmare at speed, very unpredictable. We're thinking the tires may need to be a bit firmer to pull this off - so we'll try to do something different with inserts.

For our VELO racing we currently use JOHN'S BSR EHW Capped Tires which work very well for our needs, but we're looking for other options towards the future with a Turn Key car/chassis that can be used for velo racing (where what we use now is all custom built or modified old oval chassis cars)

Any tips you might suggest in trying to make these tires work at speeds in excess of 50 MPH?
Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default Bodies

Well I scrapped the Sofia and I will try mounting the new ATSV-R 200mm protoform body I picked up on my old 10R5/0n-point conversion .
May even pick up the GT !
Old 09-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default Bodies

Well I scrapped the Sofia and I will try mounting the new ATSV-R 200mm protoform body I picked up on my old 10R5/0n-point conversion .
May even pick up the GT !
Old 09-19-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SWTour
CRC Rubber Tires:

Hey Dumper, we are wanting to try a variation of the GT-R class on the high banked/high speed VELODROMES.

Running a pretty stock WGT type flat track setup with an oval truck body (lower front downforce) that truck was a nightmare at speed, very unpredictable. We're thinking the tires may need to be a bit firmer to pull this off - so we'll try to do something different with inserts.

For our VELO racing we currently use JOHN'S BSR EHW Capped Tires which work very well for our needs, but we're looking for other options towards the future with a Turn Key car/chassis that can be used for velo racing (where what we use now is all custom built or modified old oval chassis cars)

Any tips you might suggest in trying to make these tires work at speeds in excess of 50 MPH?
We have seen our tires used in a 2 cell 13.5 boosted road course application over in Europe and they work great. You may need to try a different insert in the rear. One that fills up the tire better. The G forces that the tires see in your type of racing is not what we see in road racing. These tires are nothing like caps. Caps are hard as a rock, ours are not.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Ford GT body

Gotta say that fitting the new Ford GT body was a tad more involved than usual. The PFM-10, HPI Corvette C6 and HPI Porsche GT-1 were all easier projects in comparison. But, the Ford GT fits pretty well...and looks trick...Thanks to Dale Epp of Protoform.

On my CRC WGT-R/T car (with short wheelbase setup), I did find:
1) After painting...Trimmed body to bottom cutline all around which made for easy alignment on chassis. Chassis is 5.5 mm high; bottom of body is at 7.0 mm.
2) Front grill of body aligned almost 3/8" ahead of the standard CRC foam bumper. If I had gone with the long wheelbase, the gap would have been 1/2" plus.
2) Front wheel wells aligned nicely. Very close.
3) Rear wheel well cut lines are placed somewhat high on the body. Would probably align better (front-to-rear) with long wheelbase; but, not any better vertically.
4) Stiffness of body structure is exceptional. Have to credit all the contours and rear tunnels. Shouldn't have any issues with rear body tucks if hit from behind.
5) Ford GT body weighs about 10-15 grams more than the other bodies mentioned. Just have to remove an equal amount of ballast to be at min wt.
6) Body is a tad longer than the PFM-10; but, is shorter than the HPI bodies noted above.
7) Car is both attractive and different. Certainly is deserving of a kewl paint job.

Conclusion: Probably will run this or the PFM-10 at the IIC.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails World GT-R Rules and Discussion-dsc_0145.jpg  

Last edited by Still Bill; 09-19-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default PF Ford GT Body

Bill- Thank you for providing the in-depth info on the PF Ford GT body mounting. Your picture is fantastic!

I got my body from the local UPS driver late last night.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

very nice, thank you Bill
Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Can anyone recommend a good starting FDR for 17.5?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I race on the new CRC carpet. 38-44 pinion with 78 or 86 spur. Motor timing at 38-40 degrees for me.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Can some of you guys post up some chassis photos? I'm trying to get my esc / wiring finished up and need some inspiration. This is the part that I spend forever trying to figure out what to put where! Come on wireless electronics - where are you at? Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I personnely like the shotrest wires as possible. I would attempt to send pictures but I'm experimenting with the different battery positions. I orginally had the battery down the center. Now I'm trying the battery in the transverse set-up. With the battery down the middle I had my esc in front of the motor under the damper tubes.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
I personnely like the shotrest wires as possible. I would attempt to send pictures but I'm experimenting with the different battery positions. I orginally had the battery down the center. Now I'm trying the battery in the transverse set-up. With the battery down the middle I had my esc in front of the motor under the damper tubes.
Battery under the damper tubes ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.