You try to mount it up yet?
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #437
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
You try to mount it up yet?
Still waiting for a mount that is supposed to work from china
But the room is there length wise at least.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #438
Tech Initiate

That looks like a 6 bolt mount pattern. What size is the can if you don't mind me asking.
Gunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #439
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
That looks like a 6 bolt mount pattern. What size is the can if you don't mind me asking.
58-116 the holes line up either 30mm or 35mm. The mount I have coming is for a 1717 sized motor. So I may just buy the kershaw adapter if it doesn't work out. I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew with this beast. It's REALLY big and heavy lol.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #440
Tech Initiate

Thats pretty big. What KV did you order. Those usually have a pretty heavy watts load.
Gunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 PM   #441
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
58-116 the holes line up either 30mm or 35mm. The mount I have coming is for a 1717 sized motor. So I may just buy the kershaw adapter if it doesn't work out. I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew with this beast. It's REALLY big and heavy lol.
You gonna power that with a hobbywing?!?! 😂😂😂😂
Old 01-18-2017, 04:37 AM   #442
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
That's a pretty hefty motor, awesome! 1717 motor has same mounting pattern as normal 40/42 mm diameter motors, so probably won't fit, even if you shim the mount up for the 58 mm diameter. Looking forward to seeing more of your build and indeed also curious how that HW ESC will perform with the big TP motor. 6-pole means it's less likely to cog at low speeds with tall gearing, but trade-off is that, theoretically, the higher ERPM results in higher "high-RPM losses", both in ESC and motor, and you might run into the ESC's kv limit earlier. Also be sure to have some badass batteries, as that motor will suck up a lot of Current .

Compared to you, I have just a "baby"-sized TP5660 6D (~1500kv) in my buggyfied GT2 - see video below. I looked into the Kershaw mount too, but I decided to get a custom 56 mm diameter motor mount from Koval because it is better quality (I have a Kershaw 1/5 scale Rampage XBE mount in a 1/5 buggy as well for comparison) - see link with contact details in post below, can't seem to get link correct into this post... Anyway, I crashed my car before I could really get a feeling for the speed of the TP5660 on 8S, but it's up-and-running again; only thing lacking is a good place to drive it now.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Dr_T; 01-18-2017 at 06:02 AM. Reason: tried fixing link, doesn't work...
Dr_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #443
Tech Addict

Koval mounts: The Kyosho Inferno GT/GT2 VE Race Spec ELECTRIC on road 1/8th thread
Old 01-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #444
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
You gonna power that with a hobbywing?!?! ��������
I don't see why not, till I pick up an XLX at some point. Though the motor does have me worried a bit on any ESC. may end up with something less beastly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
Thats pretty big. What KV did you order. Those usually have a pretty heavy watts load.
1440 kv, it does have a max 441amp draw so I may end up with a smaller version or a leopard 5682 they pull 152 max from the specs. yea this baby might be TOO big lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_T View Post
That's a pretty hefty motor, awesome! 1717 motor has same mounting pattern as normal 40/42 mm diameter motors, so probably won't fit, even if you shim the mount up for the 58 mm diameter. Looking forward to seeing more of your build and indeed also curious how that HW ESC will perform with the big TP motor. 6-pole means it's less likely to cog at low speeds with tall gearing, but trade-off is that, theoretically, the higher ERPM results in higher "high-RPM losses", both in ESC and motor, and you might run into the ESC's kv limit earlier. Also be sure to have some badass batteries, as that motor will suck up a lot of Current .

Compared to you, I have just a "baby"-sized TP5660 6D (~1500kv) in my buggyfied GT2 - see video below. I looked into the Kershaw mount too, but I decided to get a custom 56 mm diameter motor mount from Koval because it is better quality (I have a Kershaw 1/5 scale Rampage XBE mount in a 1/5 buggy as well for comparison) - see link with contact details in post below, can't seem to get link correct into this post... Anyway, I crashed my car before I could really get a feeling for the speed of the TP5660 on 8S, but it's up-and-running again; only thing lacking is a good place to drive it now.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Insides of Leopard 58110-950kv vs TP5670-1195kv: the TP motors have very dense copper wiring, which makes them able to carry more Current.
Thanks for the info & pics man, your setup looks real nice! it's a handful for sure! lol
I am going to contact Koval and see if he can make me something special for my car
The mounts actually measure 35mm across and if I tilt the motor I can make the 30mm spacing match up which measures up against my xo-1 motor. All is a moot point though since I want to get a custom mount anyway. I am considering the leopard 5682 because of the much lower amp draw compared to this monster I bought out of sheer excitement and not thinking it through much. I am going to upgrade to an XLX at some point but I am not sure I am going to run this motor anymore lol. Hobbywing hasn't let me down yet but the castle is a better piece for sure and datalogging would be cool.
For batteries I am hoping this little guy is up to the task, I am sticking to 6s.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #445
Tech Addict

Thanks, and you're welcome! I think considering a slightly smaller motor is not such a bad idea indeed . That TP5860 you got is just incredibly big and heavy for 1/8 scale and it's gonna be very hard to get enough battery capacity in a 1/8 car to get it even near its full potential.

Would be cool to see a nice Leopard 5682 build. Unless you really want a 1/5 motor (which I understand obviously ), you could also consider a TP4070. I have had one in a 1/8 truggy since 2014 and always liked it for its massive power and ability to run unusually tall gearing for off-road without heat issues. Recently the speed pros here have proven it's also very good for speed runs. Might be a simpler, possibly even better performing option than a 56 mm can Leopard. The ~1500kv 3Y wind TP4070 should be safe choice for 6S, and leaves the door open for 8S as well. I currently have one paired with a Hobbywing Max 6 myself and seems to work ok (more info here), although I haven't driven it much yet, and my gearing and intended speed is way lower than tc4basher's, so I don't want to claim it will work well for real Guinness book speed-run territory .

TP4070 v2 (2 piece can):

TP4070 v1 (3 piece can)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #446
Tech Adept

Got enough tire there, bud!? lol
Currently in the car is a 4060 TP @1950 kv with the max6. I have yet to see it's potential as it's been pretty ugly & wintery where I am. I only ran it once and was not able to get up the full throttle due to the ground being pretty cold. I also am not chasing any records, a few years back I went 112 with my 1515-2200 and I was happy as a clam, I left RC for a bit and came back and people are doing 120-140 all day.. so of course that's when the eBay shopping starts and it's all downhill from there :P

I've been reading up on people having good luck with the 5682 and I like the max amp of 152, I want to try not to blow anything up if I can. But that's all part of the game haha.
Nice ride though man, have you been running it?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #447
Tech Addict

Cool, keep us posted on the 5682 then .

Yeah, set-up with the v2 can has been running, although only 3 packs with the Max 6 yet (used to run it with HW Xerun, both on and off road) - the v1 motor I got recently and haven't ran that and the Sweep tires at all yet. Also not really speed-run set-up, more for 80-90 mph parking lot bashing.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #448
Tech Addict

No hobbywing or castle ESC will be able to power a motor that pulls 441 amps. Not even close.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #449
Tech Addict

Well, the Current rating of a motor doesn't really mean it's gonna pull that under any circumstances. You'd probably have to gear a 1/8 car for Mach 3 to get to those numbers . But the numbers do indicate that if anything in the car is gonna die from over-Current, the motor will be the last one to do so.

Edit:
For reference: my TP5660 is rated around 280 A, but in my GT2, it pulled less Current (235 A) on 6S geared for a 99 mph pass, than a 120A rated CC1515 2200 kv doing 95 mph in a truggy (288 A, more details: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...=237876&page=8). Difference is that the TP5660 could be doing those passes continuously, while the the 1515 would probably need some rest after seeing such a spike.

Last edited by Dr_T; 01-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Dr_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #450
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_T View Post

+ YouTube Video

That thing is badass, love the video at the end really shows of the speed well.
spectre is offline   Reply With Quote