R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #196
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren007 View Post
Thanks a lot for the response .... I figured the Spektrum wasn't a wise choice but just needed to hear it from someone with more experience. I will go with the Futuba radio.
Can't go wrong with Futaba man.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #197
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren007 View Post
Thanks a lot for the response .... I figured the Spektrum wasn't a wise choice but just needed to hear it from someone with more experience. I will go with the Futuba radio.
I have heard that Spektrums should be avoided if possible. Let us know which Futaba transmitter you decide to go with and do a range test with it so we can see some real world results.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #198
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 483
Default

Tested my brushless 8th on the street I got 46 MPH.
Thats actually fast for an 8 pound buggy.
__________________
Associated B6 "Dirt Version" latemodel, Team Losi Racing 22T 2.0 Bomber Truck.
Team Losi Racing 22 2.0 2wd Short Course Truck,Duratrax 835e Brushless 8th scale Buggy,
Stock Slash, B4.1 latemodel(retired), T4.2 Factory Team BOMBER CAR
Castle Creations( Since April 2016)
bmag5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #199
Tech Regular
 
M3Man03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 448
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Here is my speed car that I've been working on for a couple years....

Started as an Ofna DM-1e, with heavy modifications.

Here's the rough body that has seen it's share of use. Hasn't hit anything, but the paint is flaking off because of the vibration of the body flapping at high speeds...




Oooh, but wait, what's that in the back picture?



I love to focus on the aerodynamics more than anything. I want a completely STABLE car at 100mph+. What I've done is create a carbon fiber venturi channel tunnel bottom plate that bolts to the main chassis. This also provides a very strong and stable splitter on the front.





But you may also notice that there's heatsinks in each of the tunnels. Yes, that is correct, they are connected to water cooling blocks because my motor is water cooled!

I've found that after a single run or two, the motor is CRAZY hot and I didn't really want to go through $100 motors every other run. Since I had water cooling gear from boats I've done, I set the car up with it. The weight added is surprisingly minimal. If you take a look at the inside shots, you'll see the pump, hoses and water jacket around the motor.





So far, I've had runs slightly past 100mph (104 and 107) but I haven't gone past a 6S battery configuration yet while it supports an 8S. I need to find a better (longer and smoother) stretch of road and some additional help to go faster. At those speeds, it is completely stable. I've even hit a bump at 80 where it got airborne and it just sucked right back down to the ground with no issues. The rear wing is also enlarged and reinforced with CF and you'll also see a CF support plate where the pressure from the rear wing pushes down on the suspension. I have to have VERY hard springs in the car because at speed it even starts to bottom out with all the downforce.

Here's a couple shots of previous versions of my chassis:

V1 with no tunnels:


V2:


V3:
__________________
Team Durango DESC210R / DEX210 / DEX410 / DETC410 / SJF01-F1 / Tamiya 416x / TE-Maxx 3.3 / OFNA DM-1e
M3Man03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #200
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Man03 View Post
Here is my speed car that I've been working on for a couple years....

Started as an Ofna DM-1e, with heavy modifications.

Here's the rough body that has seen it's share of use. Hasn't hit anything, but the paint is flaking off because of the vibration of the body flapping at high speeds...




Oooh, but wait, what's that in the back picture?



I love to focus on the aerodynamics more than anything. I want a completely STABLE car at 100mph+. What I've done is create a carbon fiber venturi channel tunnel bottom plate that bolts to the main chassis. This also provides a very strong and stable splitter on the front.





But you may also notice that there's heatsinks in each of the tunnels. Yes, that is correct, they are connected to water cooling blocks because my motor is water cooled!

I've found that after a single run or two, the motor is CRAZY hot and I didn't really want to go through $100 motors every other run. Since I had water cooling gear from boats I've done, I set the car up with it. The weight added is surprisingly minimal. If you take a look at the inside shots, you'll see the pump, hoses and water jacket around the motor.





So far, I've had runs slightly past 100mph (104 and 107) but I haven't gone past a 6S battery configuration yet while it supports an 8S. I need to find a better (longer and smoother) stretch of road and some additional help to go faster. At those speeds, it is completely stable. I've even hit a bump at 80 where it got airborne and it just sucked right back down to the ground with no issues. The rear wing is also enlarged and reinforced with CF and you'll also see a CF support plate where the pressure from the rear wing pushes down on the suspension. I have to have VERY hard springs in the car because at speed it even starts to bottom out with all the downforce.

Here's a couple shots of previous versions of my chassis:

V1 with no tunnels:


V2:


V3:
Wow! Awesome work! Are you rhouse from youtube and instagram?
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #201
Tech Regular
 
M3Man03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 448
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
Wow! Awesome work! Are you rhouse from youtube and instagram?
Nope. They do the same thing?
__________________
Team Durango DESC210R / DEX210 / DEX410 / DETC410 / SJF01-F1 / Tamiya 416x / TE-Maxx 3.3 / OFNA DM-1e
M3Man03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #202
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Man03 View Post
Nope. They do the same thing?
He's been making very similar chassis and difffusors and he also likes bright orange colors on his bodies. Very similar work. Check it out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEyqx-DmvVp/?r=2677730289
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #203
Tech Regular
 
M3Man03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 448
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
He's been making very similar chassis and difffusors and he also likes bright orange colors on his bodies. Very similar work. Check it out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEyqx-DmvVp/?r=2677730289
Kinda - but I think mine are a little cleaner.

I wouldn't have painted the orange on the bottom but the CF didn't make it to the sharp corner with the method I used and it was just epoxy, but it's not a load bearing surface, so I just decided to paint it.
__________________
Team Durango DESC210R / DEX210 / DEX410 / DETC410 / SJF01-F1 / Tamiya 416x / TE-Maxx 3.3 / OFNA DM-1e
M3Man03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #204
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Man03 View Post
Kinda - but I think mine are a little cleaner.

I wouldn't have painted the orange on the bottom but the CF didn't make it to the sharp corner with the method I used and it was just epoxy, but it's not a load bearing surface, so I just decided to paint it.
Your work is defintely much cleaner. I believe he uses cardboard! Lol
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #205
Tech Regular
 
M3Man03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 448
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
Your work is defintely much cleaner. I believe he uses cardboard! Lol
Yeah, I think 3/16" of CF is a little stronger.
__________________
Team Durango DESC210R / DEX210 / DEX410 / DETC410 / SJF01-F1 / Tamiya 416x / TE-Maxx 3.3 / OFNA DM-1e
M3Man03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #206
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 108
Default

M3Man03 - What are you using to make your molds?
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 AM   #207
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
I have heard that Spektrums should be avoided if possible. Let us know which Futaba transmitter you decide to go with and do a range test with it so we can see some real world results.
I ordered the Futaba 4PLS and it so happens that a friend of mine purchased the Spektrum radio so once my car is up and running will do some comparisons and share the results .
Warren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:30 AM   #208
Tech Addict
 
phildoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N.C.
Posts: 668
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren007 View Post
I ordered the Futaba 4PLS and it so happens that a friend of mine purchased the Spektrum radio so once my car is up and running will do some comparisons and share the results .
There will be no comparison, the futaba will have the range.. you will be happy..
phildoggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #209
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Man03 View Post
Here is my speed car that I've been working on for a couple years....

Started as an Ofna DM-1e, with heavy modifications.

Here's the rough body that has seen it's share of use. Hasn't hit anything, but the paint is flaking off because of the vibration of the body flapping at high speeds...




Oooh, but wait, what's that in the back picture?



I love to focus on the aerodynamics more than anything. I want a completely STABLE car at 100mph+. What I've done is create a carbon fiber venturi channel tunnel bottom plate that bolts to the main chassis. This also provides a very strong and stable splitter on the front.





But you may also notice that there's heatsinks in each of the tunnels. Yes, that is correct, they are connected to water cooling blocks because my motor is water cooled!

I've found that after a single run or two, the motor is CRAZY hot and I didn't really want to go through $100 motors every other run. Since I had water cooling gear from boats I've done, I set the car up with it. The weight added is surprisingly minimal. If you take a look at the inside shots, you'll see the pump, hoses and water jacket around the motor.





So far, I've had runs slightly past 100mph (104 and 107) but I haven't gone past a 6S battery configuration yet while it supports an 8S. I need to find a better (longer and smoother) stretch of road and some additional help to go faster. At those speeds, it is completely stable. I've even hit a bump at 80 where it got airborne and it just sucked right back down to the ground with no issues. The rear wing is also enlarged and reinforced with CF and you'll also see a CF support plate where the pressure from the rear wing pushes down on the suspension. I have to have VERY hard springs in the car because at speed it even starts to bottom out with all the downforce.

Here's a couple shots of previous versions of my chassis:

V1 with no tunnels:


V2:


V3:
dang, thats the most impressive set up I have seen. any vids?

I knew you werent rhouse because he doesnt use the water cooling set up.

but he is slightly faster...he is a good guy tho.
stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #210
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren007 View Post
Has anyone tried the Spektrum radios for high speed runs ? I have read they only work up to 650ft is the true ?
Would you say the Futuba is definetly the way to go or could I get away using the Spektrum ?

What about a gyro sensor for stability control is this beneficial for high speed runs ?
I have always heard Futaba is better for range but I've always used Spektrum and haven't had any issues! I'm currently running a Spektrum 4C with a 4ch Spektrum rx with built in gyro(avc), haven't done a range test but let's put it this way, I have 20/20 vision and I've had my cars so far away to where I could barely see them/don't know which way they're facing! If I'm able to run my cars as far as I can possibly see that's far enough for me!
MallenP30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:07 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net