R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,525
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tools!

I can't believe that I can't find a thread on tools, -so am starting one.

I have a question about the Tamiya Damper Oil Air remover tool, "TAM54152". Does it work with most all sized shocks (1/18 - 1/10th scale) including big bore shocks?

I've heard good things about this device, anyone have any first hand experience they can share. thanks
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Hello mr eR1c.

I was thinking about starting a thread on tools a couple of days ago. But my question was "what are the essential tools needed for RC?"

Regarding the damper oil air remover tool, yes it works! I never thought I needed it until I got one. It's not Tamiya but it's the Ride brand. http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1596

What I did was is I got my dampers which I installed months ago to which I didn't use the air remover tool. I put it there, pumped it up and to my surprise there were still a lot of bubbles. Those dampers I assembled were left for 30 minutes before putting the bladder on.

So to answer your question, yes it makes a difference. Shocks feel smoother and I'm guessing more consistent plus waiting time is cut significantly. Yes it can work on most shocks. I was also thinking it could work on gear diffs.

Add that to your wonderful workstation.

Regards!
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

I was also looking into this

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/losi-sh...osa99170/p5530
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 223
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
Hello mr eR1c.

I was thinking about starting a thread on tools a couple of days ago. But my question was "what are the essential tools needed for RC?"

Regarding the damper oil air remover tool, yes it works! I never thought I needed it until I got one. It's not Tamiya but it's the Ride brand. http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1596

What I did was is I got my dampers which I installed months ago to which I didn't use the air remover tool. I put it there, pumped it up and to my surprise there were still a lot of bubbles. Those dampers I assembled were left for 30 minutes before putting the bladder on.

So to answer your question, yes it makes a difference. Shocks feel smoother and I'm guessing more consistent plus waiting time is cut significantly. Yes it can work on most shocks. I was also thinking it could work on gear diffs.

Add that to your wonderful workstation.

Regards!
I'm really new to TC's and gear diffs, but from what I've seen you really only ever fill them up to the gears...which means there's lots of air left in the other half of the diff. So not sure it would help much there? I could be very wrong though.
xjwolfpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Tech Adept
 
funked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sacramento / Livermore
Posts: 234
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I heard it really sucks HAHAHAAHA
I'll be here all week.
__________________
Streetjam SJF01 / M05 Ver.II R / Spec-R S1 VTA / Speedworld Raceway
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Tech Adept
 
funked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sacramento / Livermore
Posts: 234
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Eric I missed you at GP last time. I got 4th in the A-Main, first time out with a Mini.
You going to P1 on 8/22?
__________________
Streetjam SJF01 / M05 Ver.II R / Spec-R S1 VTA / Speedworld Raceway
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwolfpacker View Post
I'm really new to TC's and gear diffs, but from what I've seen you really only ever fill them up to the gears...which means there's lots of air left in the other half of the diff. So not sure it would help much there? I could be very wrong though.
Yes come to think about it. It won't help. It was a silly thought!
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,525
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
I was thinking about starting a thread on tools a couple of days ago. But my question was "what are the essential tools needed for RC?"
Great! -Glad this is a topic that interests people.

Quote:
Eric I missed you at GP last time. I got 4th in the A-Main, first time out with a Mini.
You going to P1 on 8/22?
Funked1 ...who is this? Congrat's getting 4th in the A-Main (was that in the 17.5 TC class)? HOw did you do w/ your Mini?

Great to hear about the Tamiya oil air removal tool, -I may have to pick one up. I saw them online new for $38 shipped. Hey, does it work w/ most sized shocks including Big Bore shocks?
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #9
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,525
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Funked1, ...yes I missed last months GP race. I had some things I needed to take care of that weekend and it just didn't work out for me to be there.

Not sure if I'll be able to make it to P1 on the 8/22 ...i'd love to, but my son has his football opening day that day ...so I'll be there supporting him. But I will be at the Sept GP race event!
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

I think it does mr eR1c.

See pic attached. Different sizes of holes.

Regards!
Attached Thumbnails
Tools!-download.jpg  
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,525
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks SagaSetup,
-wasn't sure if that was what all the holes were for.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
vabroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: dark side of the moon
Posts: 936
Default

The tall Ride will fit shocks up to 15.5mm in diameter which includes big bore 1/10 offroad shocks.
__________________
RC racing is still trying to prove that two solid objects can be in the same place, at the same time.
vabroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabroom View Post
The tall Ride will fit shocks up to 15.5mm in diameter which includes big bore 1/10 offroad shocks.
Look into that sir eR1c.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,525
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks, checking out the ride shock tool now.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #15
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,525
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I like the price of the ride shock tool! -and it looks like it will do a great job.

Thanks for the tip!
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:08 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net