R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi there,

I am looking for a setup board. What do you think about the integy's ones? I think they are thicker than the hudy's one, so probably better.

Just considering hudy vs integy vs tamiya trf. The one from tamiya is very rare and I do not think is as good as the others.

What do you think? Another brand to be considered?

Thanks for your comments.
Akaron
Do you mean a "setup board" or a "setup station". If a setup board, I'd recommend having a piece of 1/2" flat PVC plastic cut for you. We have "Tap Plastics" near us, ...they'll cut plastic to any size/shape and offer in various types of plastic and color. I opted for the PVC type of plastic as its cheap and perfectly flat. 1/2" is about as thin as you'll want to go otherwise the sheet may not be as rigid. I was able to get a piece cut for less than $20, -I just lay it down on my table when I want to set ride height/camber, etc... The ones from the various manufacturers are all pretty much the same in my opinion, just different graphics/colors. Some have mark lines yet not sure how necessary this is. Just be sure if you do have a sheet cut that you get it cut w/ at least 2-4" on each side of your car ...I like to be able to roll my car back and forth slightly to get more accurate measurements at different places on the tires.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #77
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Do you mean a "setup board" or a "setup station". If a setup board, I'd recommend having a piece of 1/2" flat PVC plastic cut for you. We have "Tap Plastics" near us, ...they'll cut plastic to any size/shape and offer in various types of plastic and color. I opted for the PVC type of plastic as its cheap and perfectly flat. 1/2" is about as thin as you'll want to go otherwise the sheet may not be as rigid. I was able to get a piece cut for less than $20, -I just lay it down on my table when I want to set ride height/camber, etc... The ones from the various manufacturers are all pretty much the same in my opinion, just different graphics/colors. Some have mark lines yet not sure how necessary this is. Just be sure if you do have a sheet cut that you get it cut w/ at least 2-4" on each side of your car ...I like to be able to roll my car back and forth slightly to get more accurate measurements at different places on the tires.
I mean board. What about the muchmore leds one? I do not think it is as useful as expensive, but hey, it looks awesome!
Akaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #78
Tech Champion

I'm not really a tools guy, I only use the minimal amount to get my cars on track but I do like EDS hex drivers.

Cheap and good wearing

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #79
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I can't believe that I can't find a thread on tools, -so am starting one.

I have a question about the Tamiya Damper Oil Air remover tool, "TAM54152". Does it work with most all sized shocks (1/18 - 1/10th scale) including big bore shocks?

I've heard good things about this device, anyone have any first hand experience they can share. thanks
Tadaa:

Pit Equipment
The Big Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #80
Tech Master

oh man, thanks Big Wig!
I really hate the search on these forums (I swear either I don't know how to use the search or it isn't showing me accurate results).

ah, okay, what to do now that there are two threads!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
I mean board. What about the muchmore leds one? I do not think it is as useful as expensive, but hey, it looks awesome!
Uh, sure, its still a board, but with fancy LED lights.
All a set-up board is, is a flat surface. That's it. You can certainly get a brand name one, one with lights, maybe even one with bells or whistles.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #82
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

http://www.redrc.net/2015/11/vp-pro-tool-base-v2/

RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #83
Tech Elite

Does that set have a lid or cover for carrying?
4PKS-R, DX4S, EX-5UR: Sabre4WD Mini, SabreFD Mini, M01, M02, M03, M04, M05 (2), M05ProV2, TA05 M-Four, CupRacer, BSR M-Rage, WR02, GF01 (2), CC01 (2), CW01, CR01, DF02, TT02B, TA02, RS4, MicroRS4, MR01, MR03-S (2), MR03VE, DigiQ (7), & more.. Updates of projects I am working on in my profile page.
sakadachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #84
Tech Apprentice

I see a lot of moaning in the Tamiya threads about tamiya phillips screws and how people strip them. The problem here is that they aren't phillips, they are JIS. Get a JIS screw driver and the screws are easy to use and less need for hex drives.

My 2p
Old 06-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #85
Tech Master

http://www.redrc.net/2016/06/jconcep...setting-board/

Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

looking for just a 2/56 nut driver. I don't need a set of nut drivers - just a 2/56 nut driver.
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
Yep, and have you seen the price....retail $260! and the replaceable film sheet to protect it is $22
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #88
Tech Master

http://www.redrc.net/2016/06/team-corally-ultra-tray/

Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #89
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaron View Post
RC boards are a major rip off. Often they aren't even perfectly flat.

I just get a glass cutitng board from Walmart and paint the rough side black. When I need to set ride ht or tweak, I flip it over and use the smooth flat side.

$5 for the onroad sized one. $10 for the larger offroad. $3 paint.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakadachi View Post
Thanks, RCBudda. I already threw it out. I thought about that, but there is no guarantee that it would not happen again. With my luck, it would happen at the worst times.

I think the primary reason it broke was from the heat. I use a Wera ratchet driver and can screw those setscrews rapidly. It creates A LOT of heat. The tool was probably not properly heat cycled at the factory. I will say that my Wera bits have not cracked like this..ever. But then I use Wera drivers for my real car hobby too, so durability is probably under much higher standards.
Your power tool put a shock load into a hardened and TINY 1.5mm wrench. Of course it snapped. The MIP tools are hardened steel like a drill bit. That's why they last so long. But The harder you go, the more brittle and snap-able the bit becomes.

I'd avoid using the 1.5mm power tool bit as much as possible, and just use the hand tool instead.

My MIP tools are way better than anything else I have, even my Hudy drivers.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote