Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tools!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Speaking of tools and shocks, one tool that I thought I'd never need but after using one wondered how I could ever live without one: shock pliers. Seriously just get one.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littleZEN
Speaking of tools and shocks, one tool that I thought I'd never need but after using one wondered how I could ever live without one: shock pliers. Seriously just get one.
+1 I agree. I got one this year and can't build/rebuild my shocks without it.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

+2

I like the Protek version. It also has a ball popper that has been immensely useful.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey there, littleZEN. Which one do you use?

I always worried that the shaft would scratch from these metal pliers. No issue? I use the Tamiya non-scratch long nose pliers. When I have slip, I just pinch a paper towel between the shaft and the plastic plier jaw.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I use the same Protek version that RCBuddha mentions. It does not scratch the shaft at all. It provides a firmer grip than needle nose pliers. Not only that, the pliers have a larger opening to grip shock bodies when you need to tighten shock caps. The protek version also has pillow ball popper that allows you to pop in/out the balls from shock ends/ball end turn buckles etc. Other pliers I've seen only work on the shock shafts. The protek version has 3 functions: shock shaft, shock body, shock end balls.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

I use the same Protek version that RCBuddha mentions. It does not scratch the shaft at all. It provides a firmer grip than needle nose pliers. Not only that, the pliers have a larger opening to grip shock bodies when you need to tighten shock caps. The protek version also has pillow ball popper that allows you to pop in/out the balls from shock ends/ball end turn buckles etc. Other pliers I've seen only work on the shock shafts. The protek version has 3 functions: shock shaft, shock body, shock end balls.
Cool, thanks for the info. I am sold. I watched the Protek demo video a couple of minutes ago. Ordering one tonight. I'm those tool collector types.

EDIT: They're out of stock on back order. So ordered the Integy one with the ball joint remover similar to the Protek. You know what this thing looks like? A nutcracker. ouch!

Last edited by sakadachi; 08-18-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, agreed on the shock pliers.

Got to give props to the most iconic tool. The Tamiya 4-way wrench.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
Yes, agreed on the shock pliers.

Got to give props to the most iconic tool. The Tamiya 4-way wrench.
I like the HPI one better because it has an end for ball connectors.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xjwolfpacker
I'm really new to TC's and gear diffs, but from what I've seen you really only ever fill them up to the gears...which means there's lots of air left in the other half of the diff. So not sure it would help much there? I could be very wrong though.
It helps. On my hb car there's a bleeder screw in the geardiff. No air bubbles whatsoever ��
Old 08-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

"I like the HPI one better because it has an end for ball connectors"

-your correct sakadachi, the hpi does have the notched end for ball connectors and It is an I provement.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

"I like the HPI one better because it has an end for ball connectors"

-your correct sakadachi, the hpi does have the notched end for ball connectors and It is an I provement.

So I got the RIDE damper pump and gave it a try on my new vintage pink colored Tamiya low friction dampers from like 20yrs ago. I didn't know what to expect for the 'compatible with TC and offroad long dampers' but it was just allowing an extension collar to be placed on top of the base cup. Not a bad design at all.

Poured in some thicker damper oil and pumped it 10x. Waited the 30seconds per instructions. Still had bubbles. Pumped it again 5x, waited another 30sec or so. Still had bubbles. Pumped it the 3rd time 5x, waited another 30sec or so and the bubbles were pretty much gone.

So it accelerated the build by roughly 25-30min.

Should have my nutcracker by end of the week..
Old 08-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

So I got the RIDE damper pump and gave it a try on my new vintage pink colored Tamiya low friction dampers from like 20yrs ago. I didn't know what to expect for the 'compatible with TC and offroad long dampers' but it was just allowing an extension collar to be placed on top of the base cup. Not a bad design at all.

Poured in some thicker damper oil and pumped it 10x. Waited the 30seconds per instructions. Still had bubbles. Pumped it again 5x, waited another 30sec or so. Still had bubbles. Pumped it the 3rd time 5x, waited another 30sec or so and the bubbles were pretty much gone.

So it accelerated the build by roughly 25-30min.

Should have my nutcracker by end of the week..
So do you like the Ride shock tool? I've had it in my cart for several days but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Does it work well in your opinion? Does it work on your Tamiya Mini shocks? -I am hoping to use it on my Tamiya Mini shocks, on-road 1/10th scale and SC Truck shocks. ...all in one
Old 08-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

So do you like the Ride shock tool? I've had it in my cart for several days but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Does it work well in your opinion? Does it work on your Tamiya Mini shocks? -I am hoping to use it on my Tamiya Mini shocks, on-road 1/10th scale and SC Truck shocks. ...all in one
Hi eR1c. It does work with my Mini shocks and speeds up the waiting for sure.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes, I've had this for quite some time. It has a narrow hole side and a large bore side so all shock sizes work.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Hi eR1c. It does work with my Mini shocks and speeds up the waiting for sure.
Yes, I've had this for quite some time. It has a narrow hole side and a large bore side so all shock sizes work.
Thanks Sakadachi and Carnage9270, will click buy in my cart!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.