Wiki Posts
Search

Gearing for Carpet WGT Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Gearing for Carpet WGT Racing

Looking for help with a good gearing and rollout setup for my Xray X10 pan car on an indoor medium size high bite carpet track. Currently running avg 12-13 second laps with a pretty solid setup.

I have calculated a few pinion options based on the foams @ 52.5mm and 88 spur with the Team Powers 13.5 motor.
41 Pinion = 77.03 Rollout
39 Pinion = 73.26 Rollout
37 Pinion = 69.55 Rollout
35 Pinion = 65.67 Rollout

1. The larger pinion and more rollout produces more low end punch, correct? (Haven't noticed much power difference here at full timing)

2. Anyone running this same class and type of carpet track with the new 1S Trinity short stack 13.5 motor?

3. Any feedback on other 13.5 motors to be considered for this scenario?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Team Powers is a good motor, just stick with it. A track that size, you probably want to be more up in the 80s on rollout. Try max timing and 85mm and watch your temps.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wingracer
Team Powers is a good motor, just stick with it. A track that size, you probably want to be more up in the 80s on rollout. Try max timing and 85mm and watch your temps.
That's roughly a 43 or 45 pinion.. I'll give it a try.

Any weight to certified vs non-certified motors?
Old 08-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ghartman581
1. The larger pinion and more rollout produces more low end punch, correct?
No, it's the other way around.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by howardcano
No, it's the other way around.
Medium to high traction, medium size track with one long straight and lots of turns..
Looking for happy medium of punch out of corners and power in the straight..
This is confusing..
Old 08-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Medium to high traction, medium size track with one long straight and lots of turns..
This is confusing..
Lower rollout will give better acceleration out of the slow corners. Higher rollout gives more top speed. As usual, the gearing will be a compromise between the two. Start with the values wingracer mentioned and change from there for best lap time or to restrict the motor temperature.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by howardcano
Lower rollout will give better acceleration out of the slow corners. Higher rollout gives more top speed. As usual, the gearing will be a compromise between the two. Start with the values wingracer mentioned and change from there for best lap time or to restrict the motor temperature.
Thanks!
Old 08-14-2015, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

This is confusing..
Too make it less confusing

Gear for lap time / run time
Forget anything else, as the first car to cross the line in 6m ( or whatever your local race time is) wins

Punch and top speed are a side effect when the gearing is correct
Old 08-14-2015, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

I am running the Serpent S100 with a trinity 1s but D4 motor, on a track that sounds similar to yours. I am now running 88/40 at 50deg of timing. Car has great punch, and decent top end. I actually may go back to 88/42 to get my top end back. I started there, but felt I was lacking in the infield, but my times went up cause the car was too fast for me and I wasnt able to be as smooth through the infield. In short, 88/40-44 should work, try each and see what you like. I have a Team Powers motor and this gearing works for that motor also.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

If it is within the budget, certified is the way to go, especially in a spec class. Every little bit helps...I run certified motors in my TC and vowed never to go back to non-certified unless a mfr doesnt offer it. I am trying to build my inventory where I can then do my own certification, where out of the 3 or 4 motors i have, I will measure the stators and rotors and put the best parts together from the cert motors I own. If you like the D4, wait till you run a D4 built by EA or Fantom racing...they build some wickedly fast D4 motors...
Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have been all around this planet before. The answer on rollout is "it depends". Electric motors produce peak torque at stall and very little torque at full rpm. The peak power seems to be half way in between. You can decrease your acceleration by having to low of a rollout or to high. I have run WGT a long time and with most motors I hit 81mm rollout and adjust the timing to temp. This applied to D3, D3.5, Revtech and TSR. Our track is built in a 90x40 box (that is feet). I have been to other tracks that have different dimensions (all inside) and the rollout still stays pretty much between 77 and 83. When tuning rotors are an option I stick with a lower strength model. In Trinity it was the purple which was 12.3 and medium strength. All of this is for blinky mode.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Garrett, I am running a 43/88 on 51mm tires with 30deg timing and mine is very fast and has a lot of punch. But I am using a Thunder Power motor. I put 2 laps on the field Saturday with that.

Just run 6 minute runs in practice, note the times, temperature of the motor, timing etc., then change the gearing and/or timing and do it again, see which way gets you turning faster laps overall on average. Start writing it all down and you will see the patterns come to light.

Are you racing with us Saturday night? We should be running WGT again in prep for the races next weekend.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bdmpastx
Garrett, I am running a 43/88 on 51mm tires with 30deg timing and mine is very fast and has a lot of punch. But I am using a Thunder Power motor. I put 2 laps on the field Saturday with that.

Just run 6 minute runs in practice, note the times, temperature of the motor, timing etc., then change the gearing and/or timing and do it again, see which way gets you turning faster laps overall on average. Start writing it all down and you will see the patterns come to light.

Are you racing with us Saturday night? We should be running WGT again in prep for the races next weekend.
Hey B, wish I could have made it. Won't be available until the sunday 23rd race. Gonna give 41 & 43 a try during the race. Looking forward to the WGT turnout as well as my first big race at RSD.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? 10.5T rollout

does anyone have a suggested rollout for 10.5T motors?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dork Missile
does anyone have a suggested rollout for 10.5T motors?
Blinky or boosted? I'm running 45-55mmpr at the moment in boosted (depending on the track), someone else was running blinky at 65mmpr (1S batteries and 10.5T motor in both cases).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.