Wiki Posts
Search

Pocket Pit lap timer

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclonetog
We haven't encountered that problem yet, there is already a 2s minimum built in, but let us know if you do get any false triggers.

Options coming your way soon...
At my local track we have 4 minute races for oval.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Perfect device for practice...
Old 08-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tbrymer
At my local track we have 4 minute races for oval.
Soon you will be able to set 240 seconds, as per the picture in my previous post.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Soon you will be able to set 240 seconds, as per the picture in my previous post.
Thanks! I totally glanced over the custom portion on the right.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

So I had a chance to test this thing out during my solid day of practice at my local asphalt track over the weekend. Overall my results and experience were great, and it has already become an invaluable tool for my tuning. Here's my initial thoughts after a good day's worth of use:

The Good:
  • Getting instant lap times in your ears is priceless for finding new lines that are surpringly fast.
  • I was able to compare it to our track's lap timer system and a MyLaps transponder; they were effectively dead on.
  • I used rechargeable AAA batteries, and was impressed to see it last all day long sitting by the track. I rarely turned it off between my runs.
  • Direct sunlight didn't seem to impact it.
  • Never had an issue with the bluetooth connecting as long as I had a good clear sight of the box from the driver's stand.
  • I'm sure this varies greatly on track layout, but I had no issue with getting any false positive hits.

The Slightly Unfortunate:
  • Loses connection if you turn your screen off on your iPhone, so I found myself eating a lot of battery.
  • I know it has been mentioned before, and it could be getting fixed already, but the voice is way too fast.
  • I'm an iPhone guy, so it doesn't impact me, but I'm sure an Android app would push a lot more of these.

I've been wanting a personal lap timer for a while, and really glad I waited for this to come along, its exactly what I wanted and works great.

Last edited by WesRaven; 08-24-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Wes,
Glad you're happy with the device, and you agree with my findings that the lap times are the same as AMB.
You will be getting the option to change voice speed very soon, take a look at my attachment on the previous page of this thread.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone care to show pics of their mounts for this.

I think my first attempt was too flexible so caused issues.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

I can get a picture of mine once I get home from work, but I simply used a paperclip. I bent it into a 90 degree turn with one end tightly looped so that I could screw it into an available hole on my chassis. I then used heat-shrink to hold the transponder and wire on to the paperclip and point it out the window. Worked great and I never had to mess with it. And since it was screwed in I could easily swap it to other cars.

You will be getting the option to change voice speed very soon, take a look at my attachment on the previous page of this thread.
Wonderful! Thanks for the update. The only thing left that I think would be extremely helpful is allowing the app to stay connected if you turn the iPhone screen off. With earbuds I just put the phone in my pocket anyway, and don't need to see the screen. With being able to turn the screen off the iPhone battery will last much longer.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I tried my Pocket Pit last weekend at the TCS Finals. and it worked perfect.
The only thing I'd like to get is the ability to expirt the saved files to a Excel or text file. for later analysis.
Thank you
for the great product
Old 08-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

I will ask the question for you.
I do know that the app has to force the screen to stay on because the screen going to sleep stops it working.
There may be issues with things like background app refresh that may stop it working properly, but I'm not the expert in these things. Will report back when I know more.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Here is another view of my mount.

It's just an ARC antenna mount, 50mm of antenna tube and 6mm heat shrink.
This sits on top of my servo, so if you're fitting to the chassis you may want a little more tube (though mine sits fairly high anyway).
I did use a dab of shoe goo at the base just for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails Pocket Pit lap timer-img_1986.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Can anybody in the US that has this tell me what the total price was with shipping in American dollars? Google tells me it's about $181 dollars shipped.. That's using the 99 pounds and 5 pounds they told me it would likely cost to ship. If that's the price then I think I'll have to get one.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I payed about 180 with PayPal. That's 99 + 15 for shipping.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Would it be possible to get multiple transponders, with the same code. That I can leave them in my cars, instead of moving them from one to another.
Thank you
Old 08-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes they sell clones.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-cloning.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.