Search

Wheelspin at the starting line

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 AM
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wheelspin at the starting line

I think I'm at the stage where my driving's improved to the point where I can be a little more aggressive in certain situations and one place might be at the starting line. I'm finding that when the siren goes and I stick it into full throttle (19t tc) I get a bit of wheelspin before it scoots off. Question is, do you guys think it's quickest to allow it to wheelspin or is it better to be more gradual with the throttle?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wheel spin is a waste. At least that is what I have always been told. So, I roll into the throttle, even going through corners. It's also easier on the motor and batteries. The cooler you keep the motor, the stronger it will run deeper into the race.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

think formula 1. if the tire's contact patch is sliding (as opposed to rolling/gripping) across the surface then 9 time out of 10 you are losing out on travel in the proper direction which equals time on the clock. There are some cases where slide is faster and that is usually where a tight car is slow to rotate such as hairpins. It all depends on how wide the lanes are and such.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

JL, You might not be experiencing "Wheel Spin". Instead check your diffs. A loose diff or a diff with a problem can slip under the sharp load of a 19turn car trying to launch off the line.

Snowy.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Also make sure the back end of the car isn't hitting the ground when it squats under power.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

if you have got a soft car it vill just sit down and go
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some great tips guys!

Snowy, i'll check my diff (I've been running a spool up front) just in case. I think I'll spend the next few races experimenting in the finals to see how I go.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

try puting the throttle speed if you have a ko transmitter to about 80. put it on the button up top as well. this way u can have a fast start everytime off the line and then when the heat dies down from start of race click the button switch it off and ya well away. dunno weather other transmitter got that sort of thing on them tho suppose must have sumit like that.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Well, in an ideal world 5% wheel slip should be acheived. This is not realistically acheivable. I think the best thing to do would to set your car up to grip with you on full throttle without really compromising race setup. like the others say, make sure your car isnt too low at the rear etc. Try changing the droop a little. dont worry if it is still slipping a little though, what you loose at the start from a stand still you should be able to gain on the following 250 corners easily concentrate more on nailing the first corner without getting into an accident, i always move to the inside off the line and really take a slow tight line through the first corner, then jump on the throttle as soon as you are confident the coast is clear.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Make sure your tyres are up to temperature and you are using a goop that isn't slippery at the beginning of the run. You shouldn't have that much wheel spin with a 19t anyway.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

if possible you can use the amp rate controller on the esc and lower it, if that is you can do that on your esc

as you can pin down the throotle and wont have to worry about fast wheel spin off th line
Old 05-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by makytc4
try puting the throttle speed if you have a ko transmitter to about 80. put it on the button up top as well. this way u can have a fast start everytime off the line and then when the heat dies down from start of race click the button switch it off and ya well away. dunno weather other transmitter got that sort of thing on them tho suppose must have sumit like that.
The 3PK has that as well, I imagine the M11 would too.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pheyhoe
Try changing the droop a little.
In what way do you change droop to reduce wheelspin?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

If you increase droop (in the case of straight line acceleration, front end droop), your tyres are more likely to stay in contact with the ground without unloading and slipping.

And forget these special "fast start" and "torque control" settings on your TX and speedo. The best way of controlling wheelspin is throttle control.

Just try a few standing starts in practice, and feed the throttle in more gently each time until you get the perfect combination of traction and acceleration.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Tech Adept

But increasing front droop allows more weight to be transferred off them.
I thought this was about wheelspin not wheelie?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.