R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Motiv RC
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
NEW FOR 2017 - MC2!

MOTIV M-Code motors, now MC2 for 2017, come pre-set to perform well in most applications. Each MOTIV M-Code motor comes with a specification check list specific to that individual motor. All MOTIV M-Code spec motors come standard with the new "S-HIGH" rotor. If you prefer a different rotor, please send an email via the "Contact Us" page on the Motiv site and reference your order.

Motiv dealers in the U.S. that have received MC2s are:

ProLevel RC
Fordham Hobbies
Lefthander RC
TQ RC Racing
Activ RC
Gripworks RC
Stormer Hobbies
AMain Hobbies
NorCal Hobbies

& More - Check your local hobby shop!

“Defy” Series Pro Li-Po battery weights

“Shorty” 2 Cell, 7.4v, 5000mah, 65c+ - 215 grams
“Thin Shorty” 2 Cell, 7.4v, 3900mah, 65c+ - 159 grams
2 Cell, 7.4v, 5000mah, 60c+ - 258 grams
2 Cell, 7.4v, 6000mah, 90c+ - 311 grams

Following are some suggested starting points for the MC2 line of motors for each class (we will update/add to this as often as possible). One key piece to pay attention to when adjusting your motor is Amp Draw. Try to keep spec motors around 3.0.

25.5 F1
FDR: 2.9-3.2
Timing: 42-45* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard
Fan: Yes

25.5 USVTA
FDR: 3.6-3.9
Timing: 44-46* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard

21.5 USGT
FDR: 3.9-4.1
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH

17.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.1-4.4

17.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 3.8-4.0

17.5 1/12
Rollout: 83-85mm
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

13.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.7-4.9

13.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 4.4-4.6

13.5 1/12
Rollout: 78-80mm
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

WGTR
Rollout: 73mm
Timing: 46
Rotor: S-MID for larger tracks. S-HIGH for smaller tracks, or tracks with black carpet.

17.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 5.85-6.0
Timing: 45-48*

17.5 2WD SC & Stadium Truck
FDR: 7.5-7.8
Timing: 45-47*

13.5 4WD Buggy
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: 45-47*

Following are starting points for Mod motors in the MC1 line

7.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 10.2
Timing: @ 28*
Rotor: M-MID
Fan: Optional

5.5 TC
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: @ 30*
Rotor: M-HIGH

4.5 TC
FDR: 7.6-7.8
Timing: @ 20*
Rotor: M-HIGH

Every MOTIV Motor is hand checked, assembled and packaged by a professional in house at our WI, USA office. During this process every motor component must meet MOTIV requirements before assembly and packaging. Included is a specification check list which is filled out on a motor to motor basis all through the testing and assembly process to ensure the quality of our finished product

How its Made: Motiv RC Brushless Motor assembly w/ Paul Lemieux

Print Wikipost

Like Tree66Likes

Old 02-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #121
Tech Adept

High torque gauss reading of 1556

Yokomo BD7 15 & 16, Motiv 13,5, 3 Racing F113 21.5 & SP1 F1, Serpent 120LTX
Triplec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #122
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Just wired up the Motiv 21.5 into the USGT car. WOW!!! I haven't put it on the track yet, but just some bench testing, this thing has tons more torque than my Hobbywing did. It just sounds faster.

On a different note, the Motiv 25.5, was it built to meet ROAR specs, and has it been submitted for approval? I like USVTA being a single motor option class, but if they open it up to ROAR motors, and if the 25.5 is anything like the 21.5, I know which motor I want to get.

Merry Christmas to all.
When I switched my F1 from 21.5 to 25.5 to get ready for the inevitable. I first used my Boss VTA and ran it. Then Trinity came out with the D4 25.5; Major difference on power for the good.Ran it that way for quite awhile. I went to StL for the Hudy race and found out about Team Scream and Motive. Well when I went down for the 'Birds I purchased both and compared on a Motolyzer I ended up using my Paul Lemeux tuned Motive in F1. very very nice. The team Scream by the numbers was not far off the Motive. Just didn't see the need to try a change as I was making chassis changes and driver adjustments. I am waning to try the TS motor in my VTA car just for a comparison to the Boss. But with all the new 25.5 out there its a tough choice. Now to see about ESC's. I don't VTA race much anymore but now have turned to GT just because thats where more are showing up to race at our track along with 17.5 stock
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #123
Tech Elite

Hey Andrew,

Drew Ellis ran a 4.5 fdr and 47* timing on the motolyser at Birds with a High rotor. With the new carpet, it makes sense to me that he would need the extra bottom end. I'd be curious to hear how much your fall off is over the run. I would try to stay under 160F like you are now, but if you're not fading very hard maybe you could try adding 1 more tooth or another degree or 2 of timing. 170 should be safe but be careful that you don't start giving up time at the end of the run to chase a hotlap early in the run.

Which packs are you running?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #124
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
When I switched my F1 from 21.5 to 25.5 to get ready for the inevitable. I first used my Boss VTA and ran it. Then Trinity came out with the D4 25.5; Major difference on power for the good.Ran it that way for quite awhile. I went to StL for the Hudy race and found out about Team Scream and Motive. Well when I went down for the 'Birds I purchased both and compared on a Motolyzer I ended up using my Paul Lemeux tuned Motive in F1. very very nice. The team Scream by the numbers was not far off the Motive. Just didn't see the need to try a change as I was making chassis changes and driver adjustments. I am waning to try the TS motor in my VTA car just for a comparison to the Boss. But with all the new 25.5 out there its a tough choice. Now to see about ESC's. I don't VTA race much anymore but now have turned to GT just because thats where more are showing up to race at our track along with 17.5 stock
Glad you liked the 25.5 in F1! I think you'd like the 21.5 in USGT as well if you decide to go that route
Old 02-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #125
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
Glad you liked the 25.5 in F1! I think you'd like the 21.5 in USGT as well if you decide to go that route
Well I thought of doing the Motive 21.5; had not EA got the Fantoms in I ran that at the birds and was happy with it. with some numbers that Justin Lyons ran he thought the fantoms were dang close. so to keep my expenses in check i held off. Not to say I might not get one at the Carpet Nats in a few weeks if need be.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #126
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
Hey Andrew,

Drew Ellis ran a 4.5 fdr and 47* timing on the motolyser at Birds with a High rotor. With the new carpet, it makes sense to me that he would need the extra bottom end. I'd be curious to hear how much your fall off is over the run. I would try to stay under 160F like you are now, but if you're not fading very hard maybe you could try adding 1 more tooth or another degree or 2 of timing. 170 should be safe but be careful that you don't start giving up time at the end of the run to chase a hotlap early in the run.

Which packs are you running?

Thanks for the information R Dodge, i am using moorespeed and silverbacks 6300 90c and 6200 80c packs. At the moment times are constant to the end.

Yokomo BD7 15 & 16, Motiv 13,5, 3 Racing F113 21.5 & SP1 F1, Serpent 120LTX
Triplec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I race with Andrew and I'm yet to run my motors. We had 2 guys running motiv 13.5 for the first time locally this Friday and eventually found best results at the factory set 47 and geared to suit. I think we're under geared still and I think our heat differences are driving style and use of brakes too as Andrew was running hotter than the other motor.

We didn't go above the 47 on the track but What do you guys think is the max timing the motiv could run? And. Max amp draw? The R1 Im still using are putting out about 1500 more rpm at 47 degrees timing but amp draw is much higher(6vs9.7). The motiv needs to be cranked up to 55 to get the same amp and rpm numbers. I'm thinking its a case of accepting the lower rpm and running a couple of extra teeth as the motiv is going to fade less at the end of the run with the lower draw. Thoughts anyone.

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #128
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I last ran 13.5 at the Hudy Race at Prolevel RC, and geared at 4.7 with a 49-50 degrees timing on the can. It had good rip and felt strong down the straight. That said, I didn't get a chance to check the timing on a a dyno/motorlyser. I think this is generally a good place to start in 13.5 with a high torque rotor. I am interested in trying a 4.5 gear ratio with the same or 1-2 degrees less timing to see the result.

In other news, I did quite a bit of battery and 17.5 motor testing yesterday. The Motiv 5000 battery saves over 60 grams from the 7800 Defy battery. The punch was great and it seems to run well over the course of 5 or 6 minutes. Seemed very similar to the 7800 as far as I could tell. This will allow the weight balance to be more at the center of the car. As such, it will be easier to balance out the heavier 7800 and other competitive stock batteries.

I also tested the low torque rotor in 17.5 yesterday, just to get a comparison with the high torque rotors i have been running, Gearing at 4.3 and timing at 55 degrees. It had good top end and decent rip, but fell off after 2 minutes. I would recommend sticking with a high torque rotor, 4.0 gear ratio, and 50 degrees of timing for stock touring car applications. The HT rotor seemed to have more infield pull and just as much top end. The mid rotor is also a solid option, but I have preferred the HT rotor in both 17.5 and 13.5.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #129
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

On TQ racing they have the motors listed as 3 pole,

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...rd=motiv+motor

On Motiv website the motors are listed as 2 pole and have the same part number. Does TQ have them listed wrong?

http://motivrc.com/motors/
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #130
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

It's a 2 pole magnet and three phase stator (just confirmed with Paul).

Sam
Old 02-15-2016, 04:41 AM   #131
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i've already purchased a motor from a different vendor but i was wondering when motiv will restock? i looked for a 17.5 from them
phatboislim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #132
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got a m-code 21.5 last week and got to run it over the weekend. Man what a difference over my previous motor. I do have some questions though. Is the timing set pretty much at optimum from the factory and I should should gear around that or will I need to mess with it a bit for my track? It was set at about 43* according to the can( I do not have access to a motorlyzer) and I was geared at a 3.86 fdr, but I was lacking top end. I dropped the timing to about 37* on the can and went up one tooth on the pinion and gained most of the top end I was lacking but it seems like there is more to be had. With the last setup I'm coming of the track at about 135* after a 6 minute run. Any suggestions on what to try or should I leave it as is?

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #133
Tech Elite

Usually the motors come set near the ideal timing based on Paul's machine. Each motor should have a piece of paper in the tube that gives you all the info on the stator, timing, etc. Usually the actual timing is within a few degrees of what you see on the endbell. Paul usually tells us to leave the timing alone and gear to the track. If you're coming off that cool, you could probably raise the timing, at least halfway to where you started. So around 40*, run a few minutes and check temp. Finish your run an check temp again. If temps are still good, you could consider going back up to 43* and repeat on checking temps.

Unfortunately when I talked to Paul about motor availability last week, he mentioned that the Chinese New Year was affecting that. He also is a little worried about having stuff in time for ROAR Carpet Nats at ProLevel. We are hoping to have stuff available before then, but worst case it will be after Nationals. I will keep this thread updated as more info becomes available.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for that info. Just for my own piece of mind, what temp do i want to stay below. As of now I have been trying to keep below 140 at the hottest point on the motor. The fast guy at the track is running a Team Scream motor at a 4.0 fdr around the same timing as me but still seems to have a little edge toward the end of the straight and comes off around 130 to 135. I was thinking about puting the timing back to factory and gearing to a 4.0 and see how it runs.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #135
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboislim View Post
i've already purchased a motor from a different vendor but i was wondering when motiv will restock? i looked for a 17.5 from them
About two weeks they told me.
AlexPate is offline   Reply With Quote