R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Motiv RC
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: R Dodge
NEW FOR 2017 - MC2!

MOTIV M-Code motors, now MC2 for 2017, come pre-set to perform well in most applications. Each MOTIV M-Code motor comes with a specification check list specific to that individual motor. All MOTIV M-Code spec motors come standard with the new "S-HIGH" rotor. If you prefer a different rotor, please send an email via the "Contact Us" page on the Motiv site and reference your order.

Motiv dealers in the U.S. that have received MC2s are:

ProLevel RC
Fordham Hobbies
Lefthander RC
TQ RC Racing
Activ RC
Gripworks RC
Stormer Hobbies
AMain Hobbies
NorCal Hobbies

& More - Check your local hobby shop!

“Defy” Series Pro Li-Po battery weights

“Shorty” 2 Cell, 7.4v, 5000mah, 65c+ - 215 grams
“Thin Shorty” 2 Cell, 7.4v, 3900mah, 65c+ - 159 grams
2 Cell, 7.4v, 5000mah, 60c+ - 258 grams
2 Cell, 7.4v, 6000mah, 90c+ - 311 grams

Following are some suggested starting points for the MC2 line of motors for each class (we will update/add to this as often as possible). One key piece to pay attention to when adjusting your motor is Amp Draw. Try to keep spec motors around 3.0.

25.5 F1
FDR: 2.9-3.2
Timing: 42-45* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard
Fan: Yes

25.5 USVTA
FDR: 3.6-3.9
Timing: 44-46* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard
Fan: Yes

21.5 USGT
FDR: 3.9-4.1
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

17.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.1-4.4
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

17.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 3.8-4.0
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

17.5 1/12
Rollout: 83-85mm
Timing: 44-46* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

13.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.7-4.9
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

13.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 4.4-4.6
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

13.5 1/12
Rollout: 78-80mm
Timing: 44-46* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

WGTR
Rollout: 73mm
Timing: 46
Rotor: S-MID for larger tracks. S-HIGH for smaller tracks, or tracks with black carpet.

17.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 5.85-6.0
Timing: 45-48*
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

17.5 2WD SC & Stadium Truck
FDR: 7.5-7.8
Timing: 45-47*
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

13.5 4WD Buggy
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: 45-47*
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

Following are starting points for Mod motors in the MC1 line

7.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 10.2
Timing: @ 28*
Rotor: M-MID
Fan: Optional

5.5 TC
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: @ 30*
Rotor: M-HIGH
Fan: Optional

4.5 TC
FDR: 7.6-7.8
Timing: @ 20*
Rotor: M-HIGH
Fan: Optional

Every MOTIV Motor is hand checked, assembled and packaged by a professional in house at our WI, USA office. During this process every motor component must meet MOTIV requirements before assembly and packaging. Included is a specification check list which is filled out on a motor to motor basis all through the testing and assembly process to ensure the quality of our finished product


How its Made: Motiv RC Brushless Motor assembly w/ Paul Lemieux

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2017, 03:04 AM   #586
Tech Regular
 
Jorge T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At a chemical plant in TX
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage9270 View Post
Yeah, I read ..... In the case of the MC1...it is not.
Look at ROAR approval list on their website. Both versions are there.

Look for "detail" link in red on the chart...click on it and the approved motor + option parts is detailed there.
Jorge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #587
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 926
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge T View Post
Look at ROAR approval list on their website. Both versions are there.

Look for "detail" link in red on the chart...click on it and the approved motor + option parts is detailed there.
Detail link takes you here:

SPEC 17.5-Motiv RC-M-Code-MOV10705S-06/10/2015+(listed option rotors)

Only one rotor shown for the first mcode motor. MC2 has many.
__________________
-Mike B.
Carnage9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #588
Tech Regular
 
Jorge T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At a chemical plant in TX
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage9270 View Post
Detail link takes you here:

SPEC 17.5-Motiv RC-M-Code-MOV10705S-06/10/2015+(listed option rotors)

Only one rotor shown for the first mcode motor. MC2 has many.
Scroll down to the tuning rotor section, it's specifies what rotor can go in what motor.
Jorge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #589
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,633
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage9270 View Post
Detail link takes you here:

SPEC 17.5-Motiv RC-M-Code-MOV10705S-06/10/2015+(listed option rotors)

Only one rotor shown for the first mcode motor. MC2 has many.
Mike

SPEC/MOD-Option Rotor- MOTIV M CODE-12.5mm x 7.2 x 25.0-MOV1315 (S-HIGH)
SPEC/MOD-Option Rotor- MOTIV M CODE-12.5mm x 7.2 x 25.0-MOV1315 (S-HIGH)
Can be used in all MOTIV winds (SPEC + MOD), EXCEPT 25.5T.

Arrival/Approval Date: 12/24/2015
Tracking: 9405503699300225540700 (USPS)
Inspection: 12/26/2015
Availability check: teamgravityrc.com, ProLevel RC
ExCom Final Approval:1/12/2016
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work

Last edited by OVA; 04-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #590
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 926
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Mike

SPEC/MOD-Option Rotor- MOTIV M CODE-12.5mm x 7.2 x 25.0-MOV1315 (S-HIGH)
SPEC/MOD-Option Rotor- MOTIV M CODE-12.5mm x 7.2 x 25.0-MOV1315 (S-HIGH)
Can be used in all MOTIV winds (SPEC + MOD), EXCEPT 25.5T.

Arrival/Approval Date: 12/24/2015
Tracking: 9405503699300225540700 (USPS)
Inspection: 12/26/2015
Availability check: teamgravityrc.com, ProLevel RC
ExCom Final Approval:1/12/2016
Answers your question as well, it fits!
__________________
-Mike B.
Carnage9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #591
Tech Adept
 
antlockyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Coast of England
Posts: 198
Default

Hi guys any starting point for 13.5 boosted TC with original mcode with the s-high rotor?
Edit.
Should have said I've been using it in blinky. 4.5fdr high 40s timing with a fan and it never gets hot (I can keep my finger on the can). That's on a small flowing fairly good grip outdoor track. Will be boosting there and a bigger 8th scale sized track with long straight.

Last edited by antlockyer; 04-15-2017 at 11:26 AM.
antlockyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #592
Tech Elite
 
R3VoLuTiOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,274
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlockyer View Post
Hi guys any starting point for 13.5 boosted TC with original mcode with the s-high rotor?
Edit.
Should have said I've been using it in blinky. 4.5fdr high 40s timing with a fan and it never gets hot (I can keep my finger on the can). That's on a small flowing fairly good grip outdoor track. Will be boosting there and a bigger 8th scale sized track with long straight.
crank timing up to 50-55 on the can and see if the temp spikes. if not, lower down to 4.2 or even 4.0 if the temp allows

what esc settings are you running? max out the punch setting and lower the drive frequency too.
__________________
John Tsang 🏁 VBC Racing 🚗 ORCA RC 🚗 GripworksRC 🚗 MotivRC 🚗 GravityRC 🚗 RC America

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #593
Tech Adept
 
antlockyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Coast of England
Posts: 198
Default

Sorry didn't make it clear. I'm currently running blinky and think it's a decent if slightly conservative setup (it's cold here at the moment). I'm looking to move to boosted and looking for some settings.

Running xr10 pro
antlockyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #594
JAE
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,547
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

What's a good gearing range for a larger track in 17.5 stock buggy? Ocrc in socal where the Reedy race was
JAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #595
Tech Addict
 
Adamska27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The land of cheese and beer
Posts: 666
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post
What's a good gearing range for a larger track in 17.5 stock buggy? Ocrc in socal where the Reedy race was
I've been gearing one tooth taller than the Reedy motor guys
It feels like 34-36/69, but I'm in the midwest
I would start one tooth taller than the Reedy drivers and then fine tune with temperature. I would certainly be using a fan there.

I'm assuming a B6 transmission ratio
Adamska27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #596
JAE
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,547
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

THanks! All other motors are moving in the other direction. 69/28-30 seems to be the new norm. Guess this motor needs a few teeth up from older gen motors. Must be the strong rotors 100 points stronger then their competitors. Gearing this tall is great news. What are your temps in this range?

so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamska27 View Post
I've been gearing one tooth taller than the Reedy motor guys
It feels like 34-36/69, but I'm in the midwest
I would start one tooth taller than the Reedy drivers and then fine tune with temperature. I would certainly be using a fan there.

I'm assuming a B6 transmission ratio
JAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #597
Tech Adept
 
RoyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manteca. CA
Posts: 195
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Looking at Wiki for uSGT,
21.5 USGT
FDR: 3.9-4.1
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

I am assuming that the FDR is for a small track. Will be running outside with 120-140 ft. straight. Where should I start with Gearing?
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #598
Tech Addict
 
Adamska27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The land of cheese and beer
Posts: 666
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post
THanks! All other motors are moving in the other direction. 69/28-30 seems to be the new norm. Guess this motor needs a few teeth up from older gen motors. Must be the strong rotors 100 points stronger then their competitors. Gearing this tall is great news. What are your temps in this range?

so

Temps are your key, but I was taller than 69/30 indoors medium sized track and coming off super chilly. I don't record temps like a smart person, but I'm no where near 160*
Adamska27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #599
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queens nyc
Posts: 717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Looking at Wiki for uSGT,
21.5 USGT
FDR: 3.9-4.1
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

I am assuming that the FDR is for a small track. Will be running outside with 120-140 ft. straight. Where should I start with Gearing?
I ran 3.6 to 3.7 FDR on black carpet for indoor Nationals on a mc1 with a s-high rotor
__________________
Ae sc10.2, xray t4 2016 usgt,xray t4 2016 17.5 tc, Tamiya m05 mini
Expensive is not always faster
Scionara05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 AM   #600
Tech Elite
 
R Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Looking at Wiki for uSGT,
21.5 USGT
FDR: 3.9-4.1
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH
Fan: Yes

I am assuming that the FDR is for a small track. Will be running outside with 120-140 ft. straight. Where should I start with Gearing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionara05 View Post
I ran 3.6 to 3.7 FDR on black carpet for indoor Nationals on a mc1 with a s-high rotor
Yea, that recommendation is for normal size carpet tracks. For larger tracks like 360V2 and outdoors I would gear up 1-2 teeth from that to start, so you are looking at around a 3.7-3.8. I always tend to start the gear lower and work my way up if temps allow. You might find that 3.6 or even higher is better for such a large track, especially if it is a flowing layout that doesn't require much use of brakes. I don't think anyone has really run the motor on such a large track yet.

The downside to starting lower is that you could start too low and create heat from the RPM hanging, so that's something you'll need to keep in mind as well. Best bet is to run for 2-3 minutes in practice, check temp and make an adjustment if necessary. I do think 3.7ish would be a good starting point though.
__________________
★RCAmerica •Xray •Hudy •Motiv •PROTOform •Gravity •Avid •TQ Wire •Sanwa •BSR •ProLevelRC •2mmDesigns •Timmy★
R Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
TeamDog Racing
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net