R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Motiv RC
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
NEW FOR 2017 - MC2!

MOTIV M-Code motors, now MC2 for 2017, come pre-set to perform well in most applications. Each MOTIV M-Code motor comes with a specification check list specific to that individual motor. All MOTIV M-Code spec motors come standard with the new "S-HIGH" rotor. If you prefer a different rotor, please send an email via the "Contact Us" page on the Motiv site and reference your order.

Motiv dealers in the U.S. that have received MC2s are:

ProLevel RC
Fordham Hobbies
Lefthander RC
TQ RC Racing
Activ RC
Gripworks RC
Stormer Hobbies
AMain Hobbies
NorCal Hobbies

& More - Check your local hobby shop!

“Defy” Series Pro Li-Po battery weights

“Shorty” 2 Cell, 7.4v, 5000mah, 65c+ - 215 grams
“Thin Shorty” 2 Cell, 7.4v, 3900mah, 65c+ - 159 grams
2 Cell, 7.4v, 5000mah, 60c+ - 258 grams
2 Cell, 7.4v, 6000mah, 90c+ - 311 grams

Following are some suggested starting points for the MC2 line of motors for each class (we will update/add to this as often as possible). One key piece to pay attention to when adjusting your motor is Amp Draw. Try to keep spec motors around 3.0.

25.5 F1
FDR: 2.9-3.2
Timing: 42-45* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard
Fan: Yes

25.5 USVTA
FDR: 3.6-3.9
Timing: 44-46* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard

21.5 USGT
FDR: 3.9-4.1
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH

17.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.1-4.4

17.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 3.8-4.0

17.5 1/12
Rollout: 83-85mm
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

13.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.7-4.9

13.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 4.4-4.6

13.5 1/12
Rollout: 78-80mm
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

WGTR
Rollout: 73mm
Timing: 46
Rotor: S-MID for larger tracks. S-HIGH for smaller tracks, or tracks with black carpet.

17.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 5.85-6.0
Timing: 45-48*

17.5 2WD SC & Stadium Truck
FDR: 7.5-7.8
Timing: 45-47*

13.5 4WD Buggy
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: 45-47*

Following are starting points for Mod motors in the MC1 line

7.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 10.2
Timing: @ 28*
Rotor: M-MID
Fan: Optional

5.5 TC
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: @ 30*
Rotor: M-HIGH

4.5 TC
FDR: 7.6-7.8
Timing: @ 20*
Rotor: M-HIGH

Every MOTIV Motor is hand checked, assembled and packaged by a professional in house at our WI, USA office. During this process every motor component must meet MOTIV requirements before assembly and packaging. Included is a specification check list which is filled out on a motor to motor basis all through the testing and assembly process to ensure the quality of our finished product

How its Made: Motiv RC Brushless Motor assembly w/ Paul Lemieux

Print Wikipost

Like Tree68Likes

Old 10-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWINSLOWOUT View Post
I am not seeing the 10.5 on any lists yet, is there an ETA on when/if it will be approved? First race for me in the series is the 17th of this month, really don't want to go and buy another motor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
Paul has been absolutely slammed recently and I am not sure if he has had the time to proceed with the submittal process for the 10.5. In all honesty, I doubt you will see anything by the 17th. I asked him about it recently for the Reedy 1/12 race and the answer was that he just hasn't had the time yet to move forward with this. Sorry I don't have a better answer.
Hi Earl,

I spoke with Paul about this today. What LloydLoar says is spot on which is why we don't see much from Paul on here lately. He apologizes for the bind this puts you in and he is planning to submit the 10.5 to TOUR and ROAR soon.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
Hi Earl,

I spoke with Paul about this today. What LloydLoar says is spot on which is why we don't see much from Paul on here lately. He apologizes for the bind this puts you in and he is planning to submit the 10.5 to TOUR and ROAR soon.
It's not that big of a deal, I'm the one that bought it knowing it was not approved yet. I got a D4 coming, should get me by until this motor is approved, plus, you can never have too many motors, LOL.
WCICS.ca club rep. www.krcracing.ca
SLOWINSLOWOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #48
Tech Rookie

Edit wrong thread

Last edited by Henkka77; 10-05-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Henkka77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:13 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Congratulations to Paul and to Sam Isaacs who used a Motiv M-Code to TQ 17.5 TC at the Halloween Classic this past weekend at The Gate. Sam found some unfortunate luck in the main but was able to bring it home 2nd. Sam also used a Motiv M-Code in 13.5 TC to qualify and place 2nd in what was a close battle all weekend long.

After speaking with Paul and Sam yesterday, they are both very pleased with the result and feel that the spec motor program is coming around really well. Next event coming up is Stock Wars on October 23-25 in Middle River, MD. Thanks to Paul and Motiv for being the title sponsor for this event! http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-wars-mrh.html
Old 10-05-2015, 05:16 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Also want to congratulate Mike Hanulec who I just confirmed was also using a Motiv M-Code in his 17.5 Roche Rapide P12 to qualify 2nd and place 3rd in the hotly contested 17.5 1/12 class. Mike also used a Motiv 13.5 to power his Roche WGT to a 5th place qualifying and overall result. Great job guys!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #51
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The motor is pretty legit. I had hot lap in both Q4 and the main. Could have tq'd (but I failed). Was winning the main but things happen..
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

As Robbie mentioned, I ran Motiv motors in both 17.5 and 13.5 TC. They had great power and strong infield rip as well. A small tap cost me the win in 17.5 TC, but by no fault of the motor. The 13.5 was quite fast and easily capable of a win.

Looking forward to working with this motor more in the near future. Next up is Stock Wars at Middle River Hobbies in Middle River, MD in a few short weeks. Check it out and make the trip!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Paul has done an awesome job, not with just the motors and batteries but also with on hand customer service. At the Gate this past weekend he split his time between working on customer's motors and his own cars, with a majority of the time going to the customer. Almost every time I went through the auxiliary pit area he had his hands on customer motors, tweaking timing or rotors in an effort to get everyone running Motiv equipment on the same page.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I recently switched to Motiv and ran my 4.5t and 5000 pack this past weekend for the first time at the Halloween Classic..... along with an ORCA esc this is without a doubt the best HP combo I've ever driven. The 5000 pack never faded and the motor was as smooth as melted butter.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #55
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Gentlemen, here is an article on the 17.5 Motiv motor. If you can think of way to improve the content that would provide you with more value send me a p.m. Thanks!

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Gentlemen, here is an article on the 17.5 Motiv motor. If you can think of way to improve the content that would provide you with more value send me a p.m. Thanks!
Looks good to me. Lines up with what I've found so far with the 17.5 in TC on a small, high bite carpet track.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:14 AM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
Paul has been absolutely slammed recently and I am not sure if he has had the time to proceed with the submittal process for the 10.5. In all honesty, I doubt you will see anything by the 17th. I asked him about it recently for the Reedy 1/12 race and the answer was that he just hasn't had the time yet to move forward with this. Sorry I don't have a better answer.
Do they have a UK distributor?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Check his website: www.teamgravityrc.com It lists all his distributors, world wide
Old 10-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #59
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Team Powers are listed but show nothing, Chubbies are also listed but I don't think they still going. Are these motors only available in short stack?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar View Post
Team Powers are listed but show nothing, Chubbies are also listed but I don't think they still going. Are these motors only available in short stack?
Yes, only one stator length is available.