Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree240Likes

Motiv RC

Hide Wikipost
Old 02-13-2019, 04:00 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Motiv RC
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Johnny Carey
NEW FOR 2018!
  • Defy G, Graphene LiPos
  • More Coming Soon...

MOTIV M-Code motors, now MC2 for 2017, come pre-set to perform well in most applications. Each MOTIV M-Code motor comes with a specification check list specific to that individual motor. All MOTIV M-Code spec motors come standard with the new "S-HIGH" rotor. If you prefer a different rotor, please send an email via the "Contact Us" page on the Motiv site and reference your order.

Motiv dealers in the U.S. are:

ProLevel RC
Fordham Hobbies
Lefthander RC
TQ RC Racing
Activ RC
Gripworks RC
Stormer Hobbies
AMain Hobbies
NorCal Hobbies
John's Mobile Raceway / 180 Raceway

& More - Check your local hobby shop!

Defy Series Pro Li-Po batteries

MOV2015: GREY GRAPHENE PRO LIPO, 2S SHORTY
  • COMMON APPLICATION: Stock 10th Off Road, Mod 10th off road, F1
  • 95.5mm Length X 46.5mm width X 24.5mm height
  • 5000 MAH, 2S, 100C, 7.6V, 38WH.
  • 5mm through Bullet
  • Weight: 202g
MOV2015: GREY GRAPHENE PRO LIPO
  • COMMON APPLICATION: Stock TC, 4WD Shortcourse, Stock Dirt Oval
  • 137.5mm Length X 46.5mm width X 24.5mm height
  • 8400 MAH, 2S, 100C, 7.6V, 63.8WH.
  • 5mm through Bullet
  • Weight: 329G
MOV2018: GREY GRAPHENE LOW PRO LIPO
  • COMMON APPLICATION: Mod TC, Loose Track Mod Dirt Oval
  • 138.5mm Length X 46.5mm width X 22mm height
  • 6000MAH, 2S, 100C, 7.6V, 45.6WH
  • 5mm Through Bullet
  • Weight: 273g
  • Low CG
MOV2037: LOW PROFILE GREY GRAPHENE 2S LP Shorty
  • COMMON APPLICATION: Mod Offroad, F1
  • 92.7mm Length X 46.5mm width X 18.5mm height
  • 4100MAH, 2S, 90C, 7.6V, 30.4WH
  • 5mm Through Bullet
  • Weight: 153g
  • Low CG

MOV2001: V6000 LIPO
  • COMMON APPLICATION: Stock & Mod 1/12 On-Road and Oval
  • 6000MAH, 1S, 90C+, 3.7V, 22.2WH
  • 4mm Bullet
  • Weight: 150g
MOVXXXX: GREY GRAPHENE PRO LIPO, 1S
  • COMMON APPLICATION: Mod 1/12 and Oval
  • 8200MAH, 1S, 100C, 3.8V, 31.2WH
  • 4mm Bullet
  • Weight: 150g
MC2 Series Brushless Motors

Following are some suggested starting points for the MC2 line of motors for each class (we will update/add to this as often as possible). One key piece to pay attention to when adjusting your motor is Amp Draw. Try to keep spec motors around 3.0.

25.5 F1
FDR: 2.9-3.2
Timing: 42-45* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard
Fan: Yes

25.5 USVTA
FDR: 3.6-3.9
Timing: 44-46* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard

21.5 USGT
FDR: 3.9-4.1
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH

17.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.1-4.4

17.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 3.8-4.0

17.5 1/12
Rollout: 83-85mm
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

13.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.7-4.9

13.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 4.4-4.6

13.5 1/12
Rollout: 78-80mm
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

WGTR
Rollout: 73mm
Timing: 46
Rotor: S-MID for larger tracks. S-HIGH for smaller tracks, or tracks with black carpet.

17.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 5.85-6.0
Timing: 45-48*

17.5 2WD SC & Stadium Truck
FDR: 7.5-7.8
Timing: 45-47*

13.5 4WD Buggy
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: 45-47*

Following are starting points for Mod motors in the MC1 line

7.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 10.2
Timing: @ 28*
Rotor: M-MID
Fan: Optional

5.5 TC
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: @ 30*
Rotor: M-HIGH

4.5 TC
FDR: 7.6-7.8
Timing: @ 20*
Rotor: M-HIGH

Every MOTIV Motor is hand checked, assembled and packaged by a professional in house at our WI, USA office. During this process every motor component must meet MOTIV requirements before assembly and packaging. Included is a specification check list which is filled out on a motor to motor basis all through the testing and assembly process to ensure the quality of our finished product

How its Made: Motiv RC Brushless Motor assembly w/ Paul Lemieux

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by big_ads
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Vex Vegaz had it posted on his facebook page.
Ok thanks! That had to be it, it looked like a great idea to me.

I talked with Paul today, he mentioned that the fit is supposed to be tight in order to keep the bearings lined up perfectly. He seemed to be aware of the tool Vex made. He didn't really have any feedback on it at this time though. He recommended backing off the countersunk screw 3 turns and sliding the plate out, then adjusting the timing.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Hello my friends!!!
THanks for the plug adam b. your shirts should be with you soon enough

As for the tool, its simple tool that was actually Courtney Townend's idea. I was done to help simplify making minute changes to the motors timing. in his own words...
""i have noticed that the difference between 45 and 55 is very small when setting timing... with vex help this little doo dad should make setting small timing changes less challenging. basically a motiv timing wrench" - CJ Townend"
Anyways here are some pics of the tool as well as a link to the download site for those who have access to a 3d printer. To the Motiv crew, you can go ahead and take this design and make changes, reprint, sell, or even give away to your customers if you chooses to do so.

Enjoy my friends

and download link : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1423431
Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great job Coach&Vex... Nice tool..... See you guys soon....
Old 03-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Hey Vex & CJ, I shared this with Paul and he appreciates your work and the kind offer. So on behalf of Paul and everyone with Motiv, thank you!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well my Motiv 17.5 and 13.5 are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some testing done to get them geared correctly for this Sundays race.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi! Any info about Motiv 25.5 in F-1 car will be appreciated!
I have only geared mine to 2.5fdr with factory timming at 42 deg!
curious about what other drivers have tested?
amps draw, timming, final drive...
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Just want to say that I'm impessed with how smooth the power is with these motors and their ability to handle big pinions. Ran my 13.5 motor at 50 degrees and 3.9 ratio on a very large outdoor track and had the sme times as my best R1 ultra premium. However the sensor assemblies are just shit IMO. We had 2 out of 3 motors have sensors go bad at a big meet this weekend gone. Motors did not get above 60c or have any big accidents to shunt the motors. The screws holding the sensor assembly are also very poor as one is stripped after adjusting the timing only once. Using a mip driver with very little pressure it stripped and my motor is now suitable for the bin as I can't get it open. $150aud paper weights suck. As good as they seem I'll be selling my spare motor ASAP to buy something else!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I've been running a 17.5 D4ss for the last year in tc stock, but am looking for something with smoother power delivery. The D4ss feels like an on/off switch. A local racer is selling a Motiv 17.5 with the mid strength rotor installed. My next race is on a 60'x80' indoor carpet track at a club that typically runs open flowing layouts. Will the mid rotor be of any use on this layout, or should I order a high strength torque rotor?
Also looking for suggestions for a starting point for fdr and timing.
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBM
I've been running a 17.5 D4ss for the last year in tc stock, but am looking for something with smoother power delivery. The D4ss feels like an on/off switch. A local racer is selling a Motiv 17.5 with the mid strength rotor installed. My next race is on a 60'x80' indoor carpet track at a club that typically runs open flowing layouts. Will the mid rotor be of any use on this layout, or should I order a high strength torque rotor?
Thanks!
Most tc drivers have been using the high rotor and mid for 1/12
That being said the mid rotor still works great in stock touring. Usually set the timing from 45-47 with a motor checker or leave it where it was set from the factory and adjust gearing Accordingly.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Just want to say that I'm impessed with how smooth the power is with these motors and their ability to handle big pinions. Ran my 13.5 motor at 50 degrees and 3.9 ratio on a very large outdoor track and had the sme times as my best R1 ultra premium. However the sensor assemblies are just shit IMO. We had 2 out of 3 motors have sensors go bad at a big meet this weekend gone. Motors did not get above 60c or have any big accidents to shunt the motors. The screws holding the sensor assembly are also very poor as one is stripped after adjusting the timing only once. Using a mip driver with very little pressure it stripped and my motor is now suitable for the bin as I can't get it open. $150aud paper weights suck. As good as they seem I'll be selling my spare motor ASAP to buy something else!
I am surprised that you are having these issues with the motor, I personally have run 7 of them in various turns and have had no problems with the sensor boards. If there is an issue with sensor board variance contact your dealer or motiv RC direct and they should take care of you. As for the sensor board screws stripping that seems extremely odd. I know the first batch of motors the adjustment was really stiff but I haven't had any issues with the screws stripping. If you can get your hands on one try using an mip driver. Also the motors usually come at a good spot for timing so just throw it in the car and gear accordingly.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah

Just drill it out pops head right off boom good as new
Old 04-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AlexPate
I am surprised that you are having these issues with the motor, I personally have run 7 of them in various turns and have had no problems with the sensor boards. If there is an issue with sensor board variance contact your dealer or motiv RC direct and they should take care of you. As for the sensor board screws stripping that seems extremely odd. I know the first batch of motors the adjustment was really stiff but I haven't had any issues with the screws stripping. If you can get your hands on one try using an mip driver. Also the motors usually come at a good spot for timing so just throw it in the car and gear accordingly.
I stripped out the head of a screw, because I assumed that they were 1.5mm. They might have done the same thing.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have not had any sensor related issues in any of my motors, and I have ran dozens of them. That said, if you contact Motiv RC (phone number is on the homepage of there website...top left corner), they will be sure to help you out in whatever way they can!

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pat5b
Hi! Any info about Motiv 25.5 in F-1 car will be appreciated!
I have only geared mine to 2.5fdr with factory timming at 42 deg!
curious about what other drivers have tested?
amps draw, timming, final drive...
Thanks!
2.51 with it at 43.
Running a heatsink and it's comming off at 148 (ish) after a 6 minute heat. Indoor carpet.in
Old 04-11-2016, 05:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBM
Thanks!
Originally Posted by AlexPate
Most tc drivers have been using the high rotor and mid for 1/12
That being said the mid rotor still works great in stock touring. Usually set the timing from 45-47 with a motor checker or leave it where it was set from the factory and adjust gearing Accordingly.

I would agree with Alex. That said, I think a high rotor is your best option for carpet tracks, particularly of the size you mention, but a mid rotor would be more than fine. I have used both and prefer the bit of extra torque the HT gives coming out of the corner. I prefer the HT rotor in all carpet applications as my default.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.