R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Motiv RC
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
NEW FOR 2017 - MC2!

MOTIV M-Code motors, now MC2 for 2017, come pre-set to perform well in most applications. Each MOTIV M-Code motor comes with a specification check list specific to that individual motor. All MOTIV M-Code spec motors come standard with the new "S-HIGH" rotor. If you prefer a different rotor, please send an email via the "Contact Us" page on the Motiv site and reference your order.

Motiv dealers in the U.S. that have received MC2s are:

ProLevel RC
Fordham Hobbies
Lefthander RC
TQ RC Racing
Activ RC
Gripworks RC
Stormer Hobbies
AMain Hobbies
NorCal Hobbies

& More - Check your local hobby shop!

“Defy” Series Pro Li-Po battery weights

“Shorty” 2 Cell, 7.4v, 5000mah, 65c+ - 215 grams
“Thin Shorty” 2 Cell, 7.4v, 3900mah, 65c+ - 159 grams
2 Cell, 7.4v, 5000mah, 60c+ - 258 grams
2 Cell, 7.4v, 6000mah, 90c+ - 311 grams

Following are some suggested starting points for the MC2 line of motors for each class (we will update/add to this as often as possible). One key piece to pay attention to when adjusting your motor is Amp Draw. Try to keep spec motors around 3.0.

25.5 F1
FDR: 2.9-3.2
Timing: 42-45* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard
Fan: Yes

25.5 USVTA
FDR: 3.6-3.9
Timing: 44-46* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: 12.3mm standard

21.5 USGT
FDR: 3.9-4.1
Timing: 46-48* measured on Motolyser
Rotor: S-HIGH

17.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.1-4.4

17.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 3.8-4.0

17.5 1/12
Rollout: 83-85mm
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

13.5 TC (Indoor/Small-Std. size Tracks)
FDR: 4.7-4.9

13.5 TC (Outdoor/Larger Tracks)
FDR: 4.4-4.6

13.5 1/12
Rollout: 78-80mm
Rotor: S-MID
Fan: No

WGTR
Rollout: 73mm
Timing: 46
Rotor: S-MID for larger tracks. S-HIGH for smaller tracks, or tracks with black carpet.

17.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 5.85-6.0
Timing: 45-48*

17.5 2WD SC & Stadium Truck
FDR: 7.5-7.8
Timing: 45-47*

13.5 4WD Buggy
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: 45-47*

Following are starting points for Mod motors in the MC1 line

7.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 10.2
Timing: @ 28*
Rotor: M-MID
Fan: Optional

5.5 TC
FDR: 7.0-7.2
Timing: @ 30*
Rotor: M-HIGH

4.5 TC
FDR: 7.6-7.8
Timing: @ 20*
Rotor: M-HIGH

Every MOTIV Motor is hand checked, assembled and packaged by a professional in house at our WI, USA office. During this process every motor component must meet MOTIV requirements before assembly and packaging. Included is a specification check list which is filled out on a motor to motor basis all through the testing and assembly process to ensure the quality of our finished product

How its Made: Motiv RC Brushless Motor assembly w/ Paul Lemieux

Print Wikipost

Like Tree59Likes

Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #136
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just got home from the Prairie Knights Classic, I would like to say how incredible the 25.5 motor is. I was able to bring home the F1 A-Main win with a Motiv 25.5 when the others were running a 21.5. The 25.5 Motiv motor just rips!!! The funny thing was the rules allowed a 21.5 but myself and Brian Wynn took 1st and 2nd with 25.5's. Just wanted to tell everyone that the power out of this Motiv motor is INCREDIBLE!!!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
Thanks for that info. Just for my own piece of mind, what temp do i want to stay below. As of now I have been trying to keep below 140 at the hottest point on the motor. The fast guy at the track is running a Team Scream motor at a 4.0 fdr around the same timing as me but still seems to have a little edge toward the end of the straight and comes off around 130 to 135. I was thinking about puting the timing back to factory and gearing to a 4.0 and see how it runs.
USGT right? I would say 170 is pretty much the limit to avoid burning anything up. In 17.5 TC I try to stay 160 or under. Most of the time I end up around 140 just because the gearing feels better, laptimes are quicker and it fades less. But I'm also running on a relatively small track, 80x36. I ran USGT once at home and ended up around a 3.7 gear and around 47* timing. That was at Stock Wars and the layout was very open and flowing, so those settings should work as a starting point on a bigger track as well.

As always, anytime you try something new (especially if it's a big change) I would recommend running for 2-3 minutes in practice, check the temp and if it's within a normal range, continue the run to your full 5 or 6 minutes and check temp again.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #138
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat man donvito View Post
Just got home from the Prairie Knights Classic, I would like to say how incredible the 25.5 motor is. I was able to bring home the F1 A-Main win with a Motiv 25.5 when the others were running a 21.5. The 25.5 Motiv motor just rips!!! The funny thing was the rules allowed a 21.5 but myself and Brian Wynn took 1st and 2nd with 25.5's. Just wanted to tell everyone that the power out of this Motiv motor is INCREDIBLE!!!

Awesome, Congrats!!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #139
Tech Fanatic

I'm hoping they get restocked soon... Canadian Onroad Nationals is 2 weeks after the ROAR Nats and I was hoping to have a couple motors for that.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #140
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
USGT right? I would say 170 is pretty much the limit to avoid burning anything up. In 17.5 TC I try to stay 160 or under. Most of the time I end up around 140 just because the gearing feels better, laptimes are quicker and it fades less. But I'm also running on a relatively small track, 80x36. I ran USGT once at home and ended up around a 3.7 gear and around 47* timing. That was at Stock Wars and the layout was very open and flowing, so those settings should work as a starting point on a bigger track as well.

As always, anytime you try something new (especially if it's a big change) I would recommend running for 2-3 minutes in practice, check the temp and if it's within a normal range, continue the run to your full 5 or 6 minutes and check temp again.
Thanks again for the info. Yes, this is for USGT. I will try your suggestions out next time I get some practice time in.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #141
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks again for the info. Yes, this is for USGT. I will try your suggestions out next time I get some practice time in.

No problem! Just wanted to confirm also that you are using a fan. I think most of us on here just assume that everyone uses a fan, but that's not a safe assumption to make. I've been using the WTF fans this season but will soon swap those out for the Motiv/Gravity fan.

That goes for F1 as well, a lot of our team setups for F1 are developed using a fan on the motor. 1/12 classes are the only on-road classes where the team is consistent on not using a fan on the motor.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #142
Tech Master

Yes, I have a heatsink with a fan mounted on it.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #143
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes, I have a heatsink with a fan mounted on it.
My opinion is loose the heatsink fan. mount the fan behind the motor blowing forward on the motor. the heat sink will trap more heat than help dissipate it. I ran one on some offroad stuff in SCT and found that out. also in A VTA car because it was quick and easy but locked in too much heat in the can.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #144
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
My opinion is loose the heatsink fan. mount the fan behind the motor blowing forward on the motor. the heat sink will trap more heat than help dissipate it. I ran one on some offroad stuff in SCT and found that out. also in A VTA car because it was quick and easy but locked in too much heat in the can.
Thanks for the heads up, but I have not noticed that. The main reason I use the heat sink is because I needed the weight on that side anyway, I did check temps before and after install and temps did drop with the heat sink. I also use di-electric grease on the heat sink to help with the heat transfer.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #145
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, but I have not noticed that. The main reason I use the heat sink is because I needed the weight on that side anyway, I did check temps before and after install and temps did drop with the heat sink. I also use di-electric grease on the heat sink to help with the heat transfer.
Jon, heed Robbie Dodge's advice for temps, etc at Access, we're 80x40, so it should be spot on. Plus, it's the advice of my hero RDodge.
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:49 AM   #146
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default 10.5 for oval

My club is going to be running 10.5 Cup and I was wondering if the motiv would be good in this class. What rotor would be best for 1s? Thanks
JIJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #147
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Jon, heed Robbie Dodge's advice for temps, etc at Access, we're 80x40, so it should be spot on. Plus, it's the advice of my hero RDodge.
Oh I plan to Ian. Would you call the track free flowing though? Next time I am out I plan to put the timing back where it was and try his gearing set up.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #148
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
lol thanks buddy. Hope to race with you guys again soon!

Quote:
Oh I plan to Ian. Would you call the track free flowing though? Next time I am out I plan to put the timing back where it was and try his gearing set up.
Let me know how it works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIJ5 View Post
My club is going to be running 10.5 Cup and I was wondering if the motiv would be good in this class. What rotor would be best for 1s? Thanks
I don't know much about our motor in oval racing, so I'll ask Paul & let you know what he says unless someone else can chime in before this evening. Are you racing on the old grey carpet or the new black carpet?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #149
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
lol thanks buddy. Hope to race with you guys again soon!

Let me know how it works out!

I don't know much about our motor in oval racing, so I'll ask Paul & let you know what he says unless someone else can chime in before this evening. Are you racing on the old grey carpet or the new black carpet?
We race on outdoor asphalt.
JIJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #150
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIJ5 View Post
We race on outdoor asphalt.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I messaged Paul this morning and he responded with the following,

"If this a blinky class he will want the mid or high rotor with 40 to 45 deg timing, gear accordingly as we do not know. if this is for boosted the 12.3mm rotor would likely work best but this is totally un tested to us."