R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
If I'm not mistaken that footage was taken at 5280, have these new rubber tires been tested anywhere else? Wondering how thay will perform in lower grip levels.
As a note on grip. We change our layout monthly and there are very few foam cars running at our track so a new layout is a challenge from a grip stand point. My F1 (25.5) car is usually faster than my USGT (21.5) after about two hours of track time to build the traction. It doesn't start that way but it doesn't take a lot to get it where it is comfortable. The class that is proposed here is way lower in power than a F1 car which is 25.5 - 2 cell @ 1050g.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
As a note on grip. We change our layout monthly and there are very few foam cars running at our track so a new layout is a challenge from a grip stand point. My F1 (25.5) car is usually faster than my USGT (21.5) after about two hours of track time to build the traction. It doesn't start that way but it doesn't take a lot to get it where it is comfortable. The class that is proposed here is way lower in power than a F1 car which is 25.5 - 2 cell @ 1050g.

The closest carpet track to me is six hours one way, we run on a prepped asphalt parking lot so grip levels vary alot from week to week. I know of a couple of guys that are on the fence for the class but are interested in the rubber tire.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:04 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Quote:
The closest carpet track to me is six hours one way, we run on a prepped asphalt parking lot so grip levels vary alot from week to week. I know of a couple of guys that are on the fence for the class but are interested in the rubber tire.
These are the same tires run in the TCS F1 class and those are asphalt races I believe. They won't be as fast as foam. On carpet they are a lot cheaper to run. I can't testify to how long they will compare to foam on pavement in the cost to run number. I would still think better though.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken that footage was taken at 5280, have these new rubber tires been tested anywhere else? Wondering how thay will perform in lower grip levels.
chris, this was on a fairly new layout. grip is low right now as we have had no racing this summer, just some guys practicing here and there. i back to backed the car with my f1 car the other night, the f1 car was almost underivable due to low grip.

i would also like to point out that this video was the 3rd run on the car. there was no setup work done to the car other than ride height and track width adjustments. taking these tires and bolting them on, making track width right is all the prep that went into it.

The car is EXTREMELY stable and easy to drive, very different from what i expected it to be due to my experience with f-1 on the same tires. I actually could not believe how good the car was. i had a smile on my face all night, and every time i run the car i feel like a little kid in a candy store.

This is far and away the easiest car that i have ever driven, and yet still maintains a level of fun even though i was the only car on the track. The car is not jerky or twitchy turning in, yet has good grip in the corner, very stable out with tons of on power steering. I'm sure that the car can be improved with some small setup tweaks, But if you already have a world gt car, all you have to do is bolt on the tires and go run it.

the over all speed of the class is not what you would call white knuckle fast, but i feel that with 10 of these cars on the track at the same time, it is going to be a great speed for close and exciting racing. Hardcore 13.5 and modified guys will scoff at the cars to start with, but they are way more stable than a touring car, and thus i feel close battling and racing is sure to follow.

It has been my opinion since the class come out back in 2008, that world gt was the greatest class on the planet, and i still don't understand why it isn't the biggest class at any race. now i have a new favorite class, and with the ease of maintaining a pan car, coupled with the ability to bolt on one set of tires and run them for an entire season, and the huge selection of realistic bodies to come, i see a rising star in the works for carpet racing around the country.

Before you hate on the idea, or discount it as too slow, or stupid for having rubber tires on a pan car, invest in one set of tires and give it a try. coming from a guy who has been burned out on racing, and was starting to come up with excuses on why not to go to the track all summer, i now am looking forward to every pack i get to put through this thing.

Kudos to Frank and the boys at team CRC.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

These can't be the "same" tires run in TCS but they're obviously similar in size to the Tamiya, Pit Shimizu and Ride F1 tires. What we don't know is how the compounds compare.
I tested every available F1 tire on our asphalt track using a base model F104 chassis and a Exotek F1R. While the Pit Shimizu tires were very popular in carpet, we found the Tamiya tires better on our very hot parking lot track. No compounds were used on the track or tires. This was with 21.5/2 cell.
Wear was very minimal on our 80x45 very twisty track.
If the CRC tires are anywhere close to existing F1 tire tech....we're in for a great class with minimal tire expense.

BTW, it doesn't appear anyone has stated what motor is planned....can I guess by the comments we're looking at 17.5 / 1 cell ?
And anybody want to comment further on the "bodies yet to come" comment ?
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
These can't be the "same" tires run in TCS but they're obviously similar in size to the Tamiya, Pit Shimizu and Ride F1 tires. What we don't know is how the compounds compare.
I tested every available F1 tire on our asphalt track using a base model F104 chassis and a Exotek F1R. While the Pit Shimizu tires were very popular in carpet, we found the Tamiya tires better on our very hot parking lot track. No compounds were used on the track or tires. This was with 21.5/2 cell.
If the CRC tires are anywhere close to existing F1 tire tech....we're in for a great class with minimal tire expense.

BTW, it doesn't appear anyone has stated what motor is planned....can I guess by the comments we're looking at 17.5 / 1 cell ?
There is something on their facebook page about the expected bodies. Basically GT bodies and no WGT bodies. Dumper has shown a McCallister Camaro and HPI Porche there.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Talking

The official-world-gt-r-rules-discussion

please refer to this thread for information on this class.

If I get my wheels mounted in time I'll be running outdoor asphalt (Sept 12-13), if time allows I will be running the rubber tire wheel combo on my pro10 car.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #38
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post

Tamiya TCS F1 spec tires include Tamiya Branded, Pit Shimizu 571 & 572
These are the most popular for indoor carpet racing
Original Tamiya F1 rubber tires are for asphalt, both can be used in combos to suite conditions on asphalt

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
200mm, crc, gtr, pan car, world gtr