Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Yokomo BD7 2016 - what would you like to see? >

Yokomo BD7 2016 - what would you like to see?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo BD7 2016 - what would you like to see?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Yokomo BD7 2016 - what would you like to see?

As there is already an Xray 2016 thread, I thought I would start a Yokomo one . Have a look at the bottom of the page at Ronald Volkers car from the latest round of the ETS with some prototype bits on http://jdandracing.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 07-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

1. Corner speed in stock classes.
2. A car that doesn't change from day to day, run to run, or even during the same run.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't see how you can say that, especially someone that is as good as you. There are several options to that can help make the car quicker for stock if the original trim is not good. I pretty much always run the the short shocks for spec classes and the car is usually about a tenth quicker, the short arms are also a good option, but sometimes make the car too aggressive. At our place no car turns like a Yokomo, whether Stock or Mod.

Now, to get on track :P For my wish list would be steering blocks that don't strip so easily, floating servo mount and hex screws to hold in hinge pins instead of phillips.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

The car needs a wider setup window...when it is good it is great but when it is bad it hurts badly. Not everyone drives at Ronald's level and as such the car needs to be a little easier to get right most of the time.

New DCJ Design as well...
Old 07-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
I don't see how you can say that, especially someone that is as good as you. There are several options to that can help make the car quicker for stock if the original trim is not good. I pretty much always run the the short shocks for spec classes and the car is usually about a tenth quicker, the short arms are also a good option, but sometimes make the car too aggressive. At our place no car turns like a Yokomo, whether Stock or Mod.

Now, to get on track :P For my wish list would be steering blocks that don't strip so easily, floating servo mount and hex screws to hold in hinge pins instead of phillips.
Thanks.

Everybody I've known that runs the car at a high level has struggled with it. I experienced the same things they all say. The car lacks corner speed, especially in stock classes with high grip, and it is extremely inconsistent. It can feel magical one run and terrible the next. Shocks are often implicated. I will say, when it's right, it has the best off power (on the nose) stability of any car I've ever driven.

If they want to make a car with mass appeal, they should work on fixing the things that affect the majority of racers who buy these cars. That's not people like Ronald.

Just like Tamiya will never be taken seriously on boards tracks, because it disintegrates. And yet, they don't seem willing or able to fix it. Unsurprisingly, that car is now practically a unicorn.

Make your car have a larger appeal to the masses by making it durable, giving it a large setup window, and making sure it doesn't change on a daily basis. That's how you win customers.

And yes, it feels really weird to say that about the current world champion car. Goes to show you how far removed pros are from the club racers I guess.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Foam tires.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

The 15 diff is a big improvement over the old one, would still like to see some improvement in this area, should come with the black Neoprene o-rings not the *hitty red ones that are too big and bind the diff. The biggest thing for me would be to see some flex options on the chassis, especially around the motor mount area. For me outdoors the car lacks traction out of slow corners and off the line in a final, especially when on worn tyres, Xray kills it in this area, even with my old T3 2011. I only race Onroad
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Suspended

chain drive.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R Dodge
chain drive.
that's so 1985 LOL
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jorge T
that's so 1985 LOL
you're welcome

It is #tbt no?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

This thread is amazingly productive so far...I hope Yokomo is paying attention to this thread. Could be a great car with all of these big improvements!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Again, I just don't identify with the comments. The same set up works everywhere for me, usually just a change of springs will take me from carpet to asphalt. Car is super easy, always works with the same set up, with maybe a tweak here or there in shock angle and it's good to go.

The '15 was a step forward from the '14 and the '14 from the '13. Don't know how long it's been since the last time you guys had one, but the car has been refined and definitely feels easier to drive now. My '13 was terible when new, but when it broke-in and I put carbon parts on it, it was awesome. My 14 was pretty good from the get go and the '15 is actually even more stable and easier to drive out of the box. The materials are also stronger. Still not xray tough, but nothing is. I have had 1 broken part in a month of ownership on my new car. It was a rear hub going 50+ in the infield at Porter. An XRAY would have broken too.

I agree with Adam on the shocks being important, however some simple building processes like using x rings from Kyosho or at least letting the orings soak take the leaking out of the equation.

The one thing that can make it difficult is the simplicity. A lot of people are trained into certain aspects of sedan adjustments that become part of their process which may not be available with the Yokomo. Chassis dynamics knowledge is very important with this car. Understanding how to get what you want with adjustments that are outside the mold take some time to master and you almost have to re learn tuning.

I will leave you with this though, as someone who gets to test a lot and that has tried most of the mainstream cars in The market I can tell you this: to me this is the easiest car to tune, it is also the car I go fastest with. Perhaps the car suits my driving style. I do know that I am the type of driver that can get the most out of equipment and there are probably very few guys in the US that can do that, but you I'd say both of you are in that group as well.

It's ok if we don't agree though, however saying the car has no corner speed in spec classes is simply not true. Maybe a statement like "I can't get cornerspeed out of the car in spec classes" would be more accurate.

Last edited by CristianTabush; 07-09-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Wrote Art instead of Adam...
Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by artwork
This thread is amazingly productive so far...I hope Yokomo is paying attention to this thread. Could be a great car with all of these big improvements!
game changer.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Lack of durability. I was never able to make the car consistent. It was fantastic one run and utter rubbish the next. I experienced this on the 13 as well as the 14.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
It's ok if we don't agree though, however saying the car has no corner speed in spec classes is simply not true. Maybe a statement like "I can't get cornerspeed out of the car in spec classes" would be more accurate.
It's been a while since I've driven one myself. But it hasn't been long since I've seen racers I respect go slow with the car and pitch it in the trashcan.

I know what you're trying to get at, both pre and post edit. Any car can be improved upon with time and effort, tweaking setup, etc. I just prefer to put in that level of effort on cars that are already fast. I've been down the road of trying to make lesser, fragile cars competitive. Many times. It sucks. I'd rather start with what works the best (for me) out of the box and tweak it to be its best.

Glad to hear you've got the car working well, though. Until I see a mortal racer do well with the car at a big event in the US, I remain unconvinced. I can't remember the last time I saw one in the A at a US carpet race that wasn't a bunch of mixers. I'm not sure I've even seen a mixer do well with it, probably due to DNFs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.