R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #16
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, to rephrase for him....

People will find ways to gauge the performance of the cell(s) and/or increase certain performance aspects of the cell(s)......as regardless of what battery technology you use, certain aspects of each cell differs....it's call a manufacturing tolerance...

Battery guys will figure it out.......and of course, people will buy the higher rated cells for that extra edge...it's ppart of the game and won't go away.

People said the same crap about nickel metals......

And brushless will have tools like Dynos and such......there will just not be as many.....

Both technologies have a bright future in RC........just don't be blind thinking they will level the playing field......

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:45 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Well guys it's like I said,if you race in rookie class then your driving is way more important than rebuilding your motors every run,but most of the guys I see on here that say they rebuild there motors every run are the more experienced guys that are racing at a higher level of competiton and need the extra performance that is gained from constant rebuilds.At my track I can get by with rebuilding once a day and stay competitive so that's what I do,but it's every run at a big race,which didn't help me much this year but's that's a different story.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:27 AM   #18
Tech Regular

...Everything in racing is relatively a pretty easy equation: You get out what you put in.
The more often you rebuild your motor, the more performance you will get. If your specific application or racing program doesn't require rebuilding after every 1-2 runs, than don't.

"Where The Fast guys Shop"
Putnam Propulsion Competition Motors and Accessories
Todd Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:51 AM   #19
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to odawg315

i dont think cutting a com after every run makes a difference, a stock motor WILL last 5 -6 runs with no drop off in performance, this will get you through a practice run 2 heats and the main pretty comfortably, mod motors there is a definate advantage in cutting every race. my method that has been working for me and keeps me competative with the fast guys and the guys that arnt so fast but cut every run i still have no problem with them on the straight... when i start a race day im useing the motor i had used from the previouse race day main, that gets me through the practice and a strong first heat and a good second heat, when im getting ready for the main i switch motors to a freshly cut motor thats been broken in. this way i always have max power for the mains were it counts. as long as i qualify in the first 2 rows (4 spots) i know i have a good chance and have not shown my whole hand yet, now im only rebuilding a motor once every race day, now if you race every other week which i dont, and you pay for rebuilds thats about 250 per year, about the same as a brushless system, i went the brushless rout for a little while and went back to brushed, they just dont have the tuneabilty that the brushed motors have.

i also do the same method with tires, probably more overlooked than motors, i think tires lose a ton of grip after the second run with them.
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 AM   #20
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What are the hot setups for cutting, slotting, putting and hole in the brushes? Can't figure out the setup for my monster stock. Running a Kinetix purple endbell now, but dont know how much it has left.
crazycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:57 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Any inputs on Shimming and brush com combinations and the debate on teflon vs metal bushings?
Mr. Shims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #22
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

purple spring and Putnam green shunt brushes for monster stock
R/C Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

there's not really any huge secrets for stock motors you get what you get pretty much,it's really about getting a really good can and putting a really good alignment on it.Of course every motor is different so what works on one may not work on another.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote