Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Shock,Diff,Bearing Oils >

Shock,Diff,Bearing Oils

Shock,Diff,Bearing Oils

Old 07-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (78%+)
Default Shock,Diff,Bearing Oils

What is everyone's favorite oil to use in their cars whether it be TC, Pan Cars, or anything else. I hear a lot of people like using the Team Associated oil because the viscosity labels seems more accurate and its made by Lucas Oil.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Yeah I noticed. A lot of racers use Team Associated oil. This is interesting. I wanna see and learn from what the experts/veterans will say...
Old 07-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Alot of people use the team ae oil because it's cheap and readily available. However it is by far not the best. The labels only vaguely tell you what's inside the bottle. Most of the oils aren't actually the viscosity that are stated. They are very inconsistent with their oils. Some of them might actually be the car they say, some are going to be thinner and some are going to be thicker. Keep in mind this Is all with say "45 weight" oil, it can also be said for all of their oils. From the research I have done, and from what I've heard (as well as what I personally use) the pt rc racing oils are the best
http://www.ptrcracing.com/
. I've heard lots of good things about the hudy oils as well.

Last edited by thecaptain; 07-04-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thecaptain
Alot of people use the team ae oil because it's cheap and readily available. However it is by far not the best. The labels only vaguely tell you what's inside the bottle. Most of the oils aren't actually the viscosity that are stated. They are very inconsistent with their oils. Some of them might actually be the car they say, some are going to be thinner and some are going to be thicker. Keep in mind this Is all with say "45 weight" oil, it can also be said for all of their oils. From the research I have done, and from what I've heard (as well as what I personally use) the ptr racing oils are the best. I've heard lots of good things about the hudy oils as well.
Any comments on TLR shock oils? It's what I started using and I haven't done any actual tests on it.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Losi oil is actually very good, as long as you note that it runs pretty thick. Even for the same cst measurement, it feels like it packs up more. I like it on asphalt.

I've been running Pro-Spec shock and diff oils a lot recently, and they are really good. True to their label, and have nice linear steps which make tuning easy. Plus the bottles are cool .

-Korey
Old 07-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Losi oil is actually very good, as long as you note that it runs pretty thick. Even for the same cst measurement, it feels like it packs up more. I like it on asphalt.

I've been running Pro-Spec shock and diff oils a lot recently, and they are really good. True to their label, and have nice linear steps which make tuning easy. Plus the bottles are cool .

-Korey
Oh good! Thanks for that feedback!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

There is heaps of variation between the true weight of oils betwen different brands... As long as you stick with one brand of oils you'll be able to have a range of oil weights
Old 07-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (78%+)

Ptr? If you are talking about the pt rc racing oil then I would have to disagree. I bought the whole set of oil and they just felt very inconsistent and not true to their labels. Like their 350cst felt like ae's 425cst once I did ae's through out my car I felt that the car was more consistent.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zhangesh
There is heaps of variation between the true weight of oils betwen different brands... As long as you stick with one brand of oils you'll be able to have a range of oil weights
+1
Each brand is going to have manufacturing tolerances. But if you stick with one brand and get to know it, then you will be able to tune accordingly.