R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   HPI RS4 Sport 3 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/882592-hpi-rs4-sport-3-a.html)

SagadSetup 06-29-2015 04:56 PM

HPI RS4 Sport 3

3 Attachment(s)
HPI has released a new car, the Sport 3. I am a fan of a good shaft driven car and of course it got my attention.

It's drivetrain is completely sealed and can be accessed from the bottom. Comes in 2 flavors, brushed and brushless package. Nice bodies too. BMW M3 E30, Falken Porsche 911 RSR, and Subaru BRZ. It's also affordable as well. It could be just the perfect on-road car for unprepared track surfaces and has the potential to be used as a rally/basher/parking lot car.

Does anybody already own this car? What are your impressions on it?

Thanks and regards to all.

(0000000000) 06-29-2015 06:24 PM

It reminds me of the Apex > easy to work on/maintain, will excite beginners who want to get into RC, and just tunable enough to operate on a track.

It's not a true entry-level race car like the spec R or sakura. But it will appeal to a wider range of people.

Think Erevo vs Xray Buggy. This is the same logic in touring car form.

(0000000000) 06-29-2015 06:25 PM

It reminds me of the Apex > easy to work on/maintain, will excite beginners who want to get into RC, and just tunable enough to operate on a track.

It's not a true entry-level race car like the spec R or sakura. But it will appeal to a wider range of people.

Think Erevo vs Xray Buggy. This is the same logic in touring car form.

Mr P!nk 06-29-2015 06:33 PM

I bought one the day it came out. First impressions are good, all hex head hardware, great fit, the plastics all feel good for their purpose.
It's got a lot more adjustability then the Sprint 2 (which I also own). Overall it looks like a much better car than my sprint 2. I'm really hoping its a popular chassis for HPi and they continue some aftermarket support for it.
I purchased the BMW and swapped out all the electronics with my own and have driven it around my driveway, again it feels good, time will tell how it holds up.
It does have the same diffs as the WR8 so they are pretty beefy.

SagadSetup 06-29-2015 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr P!nk (Post 14073908)
I bought one the day it came out. First impressions are good, all hex head hardware, great fit, the plastics all feel good for their purpose.
It's got a lot more adjustability then the Sprint 2 (which I also own). Overall it looks like a much better car than my sprint 2. I'm really hoping its a popular chassis for HPi and they continue some aftermarket support for it.
I purchased the BMW and swapped out all the electronics with my own and have driven it around my driveway, again it feels good, time will tell how it holds up.
It does have the same diffs as the WR8 so they are pretty beefy.

Thanks for that info.

It's a chassis that I was very curious about. I'm guessing with turnbuckles and proper damper/spring combo, it would perform well. Maybe not really well like the high end touring cars but well enough for enjoyment.

What I like about is the sealed drivetrain. Just add waterproof electronics and it can perform in wet conditions.

If it has the diffs of the WR8 it means that it can be fitted with a spool?

I already ordered the Spec R S2 but I might avail of Tower Hobbies Easy pay plan if I can't restrain myself. I'll order the brushed version and drop in my preferred electronics. RX, ESC, Motor, Servo.

If it has the diffs of the WR8 it means that it can be fitted with a spool right?

Mr P!nk 06-29-2015 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SagadSetup (Post 14073946)
Thanks for that info.

It's a chassis that I was very curious about. I'm guessing with turnbuckles and proper damper/spring combo, it would perform well. Maybe not really well like the high end touring cars but well enough for enjoyment.

What I like about is the sealed drivetrain. Just add waterproof electronics and it can perform in wet conditions.

I already ordered the Spec R S2 but I might avail of Tower Hobbies Easy pay plan if I can't restrain myself. I'll order the brushed version and drop in my preferred electronics. RX, ESC, Motor, Servo.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be a top of the line touring car, but I do think its a good all around car. Like I said, I think it's ten times better than a Sprint 2 and that Sprints 2 was a fairly popular entry level car.
My plan is to use it more as a rally car in dirt, gravel, etc, so I was also happy about the sealed drivetrain.
I did add my own turnbuckles to it as well to give me some adjustability.

Be warned though, if you do swap servos they DO NOT include different splines so if you are using the stock servo saver (which is actually a rather nice one) then you need a Futaba/savox splined servo, 25 I believe they are.

The WR8 does not have a spool as an option, but they do list a spool as an option part on the Sport 3's box, so I'm assuming one will be availible in the future for both cars.

SagadSetup 06-29-2015 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mr P!nk (Post 14073985)
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be a top of the line touring car, but I do think its a good all around car. Like I said, I think it's ten times better than a Sprint 2 and that Sprints 2 was a fairly popular entry level car.
My plan is to use it more as a rally car in dirt, gravel, etc, so I was also happy about the sealed drivetrain.
I did add my own turnbuckles to it as well to give me some adjustability.

Be warned though, if you do swap servos they DO NOT include different splines so if you are using the stock servo saver (which is actually a rather nice one) then you need a Futaba/savox splined servo, 25 I believe they are.

That's good to know.

I have a couple of 25 spline servos here which I can use if and when I buy this chassis.

You mentioned that it has the diffs of the WR8? Then can it be fitted with a spool from the WR8? Yes right?

BTW, do you have pictures that you can share of your set-up?

SagadSetup 06-29-2015 07:16 PM

Double post. Internet traffic congested I guess.

Mr P!nk 06-29-2015 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SagadSetup (Post 14073994)
That's good to know.

I have a couple of 25 spline servos here which I can use if and when I buy this chassis.

You mentioned that it has the diffs of the WR8? Then can it be fitted with a spool from the WR8? Yes right?

BTW, do you have pictures that you can share of your set-up?

I was under the impress that there is not a spool for the WR8 yet.
They show a spool as an option part on the Sport 3 box, so one will be availible eventually.

I have pictures but I'm on vacation at the moment, but I get home tomorrow so I'll post them up then.

SagadSetup 06-29-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr P!nk (Post 14074014)
I was under the impress that there is not a spool for the WR8 yet.
They show a spool as an option part on the Sport 3 box, so one will be availible eventually.

I have pictures but I'm on vacation at the moment, but I get home tomorrow so I'll post them up then.

Thanks sir.

Is it heavy?

kongluc 06-30-2015 07:52 PM

I like the fact that they are offering a speed run setup...53/48 i believe...i hope the shocks are better than the ones that came on the sprint2....i had to rebuild them after about 2 days regularly cuz the bottom caps kept popping off

MikeR 06-30-2015 11:36 PM

This car definitely has some upgrade potential! I know HPI has a bunch in the works (spool, towers, dampers etc) and a few other companies may have some goodies eventually as well... :sneaky:

SagadSetup 07-01-2015 03:42 AM

It looks nice specially the sealed drivetrain. I'm just wondering about the weight.

peter george 07-01-2015 05:24 AM

Me likes - perhaps I can run TC again

phildoggg 07-01-2015 05:30 AM

I just noticed this car also and was coming to look for any comments on it.. How would it compare to a tc4? I looking at buying one for a new speed run car, any thoughts? how wide is the battery tray? I like that it comes with a strap for the battery also..