Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Old 11-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I just picked up an rs4 flux. Has anyone tried to convert it to 32 pitch gearing?
Old 11-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by r_torres
does the yeah racing preassembled tie rods fit on the rs4??

(#SPT2-115OR)
I would say yes. The stock Sprint 2 can swap over, so I imagine those should as well. May require a bit of tuning (adjusting lengths by turning turnbuckle), but yeah should work.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Tech Initiate

so i just recently picked up the sport 3 drift. its pretty cool. i mean ive only put about 1 pack through. so far no problems.. the dog bones chatters and thats pretty much it...

want to upgrade the shocks.. does anyone know what size? 50-55-60mm shocks?

thanks for helping out this noob. i am forever grateful
Old 11-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by r_torres
so i just recently picked up the sport 3 drift. its pretty cool. i mean ive only put about 1 pack through. so far no problems.. the dog bones chatters and thats pretty much it...

want to upgrade the shocks.. does anyone know what size? 50-55-60mm shocks?

thanks for helping out this noob. i am forever grateful

Use 55mm shocks. Also, if you're going to be drifting, definitely upgrade to adjustable turnbuckles. You can reduce dog bone chatter by putting an extra o-ring in the diff side or using a decently stiff ink pen spring, but I'd recommend extra o-ring until you can get some CVD's.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

What are the CVD's everyone is using in their RS4? I can't seem to find any in stock anywhere that would fit.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RS4 Guy
What are the CVD's everyone is using in their RS4? I can't seem to find any in stock anywhere that would fit.
Try this site:

http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=357
Old 11-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
It's out of stock there. I signed up to be notified when they're in stock but I haven't heard anything for a few weeks.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

It's out of stock there. I signed up to be notified when they're in stock but I haven't heard anything for a few weeks.
If you don't mind the color blue on your car, thy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-3-Rac...YAAOSwg3FUdXwx
Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
If you don't mind the color blue on your car, thy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-3-Rac...YAAOSwg3FUdXwx
Those didn't fit. I bought a pair already from eBay and the pinhole was off about 1/2mm. The link below are the ones I bought. I need something I know are guaranteed to fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381447057011...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Those didn't fit. I bought a pair already from eBay and the pinhole was off about 1/2mm. The link below are the ones I bought. I need something I know are guaranteed to fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381447057011...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I see. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Hi guys.

I finally got my Sport 3 Flux a few days ago and to be honest, I've had nothing but trouble with it. Within the first minute of driving, the steering got locked up by tiny pebbles and the servo died. It would move from side to side but would not return to center and had lost all holding power. I replaced it with a much nicer Futaba digital servo with gobs of torque. Unfortunately, that has not helped the steering issue.

If you look at the chassis, it is almost perfectly designed to catch and contain rocks kicked up by the front tires. There is no clearance at all for the bellcrank to pass over the bulkheads without wedging tiny rocks in there. I'm talking rocks with a diameter of less than 1/8" and smaller. The old RS4s did not have this problem with their elevated bellcrank passing between the belt.

So I made a shroud from lexan. (see pic below) Unfortunately, it does not have the tightest tolerances around the steering links so once again, a tiny rock got in and the car ended up going in circles in the middle of the street. I have yet to be able to drive this car for more than a few minutes at a time without the steering locking up. It has already caused multiple accidents that I normally would never have after 15 years of driving 9 different RS4s in my street and 30 years of driving RC cars in general.

I called Hobbico this morning and the guy tried to tell me that he had never heard of this issue. I have trouble believing that. He asked me where I was trying to run this with all these rocks, to which I answered, the same street that I've been running RS4s on for the past 15 years, only then it was tiny rocks in the belts. Now it's tiny rocks in the steering.

Hobbico will fix the bad servo, which is useless when there's a flaw in the design that causes their servos to fail, but they will not refund the car. So right now, I'm stuck with a brand new car that I cannot enjoy and no way to fix it with revised parts or a refund.

I'm open to suggestions on ways to fix this but for now, beware of this one if you play in a street or parking lot where tiny rocks may live. Coming from a 15 year HPI fanboy, that's hard to have to say.
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Sport 3-rs4shroud1.jpg  

Last edited by Metal One; 12-10-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so nice looking stuff here

http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/rs...er-p-3839.html

Old 12-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Those look nice. I love the fact that it's all in one package. No adjustable links though. I'd like to be able to get to the point where I'm considering upgrades but first I need to be able to drive it for more than a minute or two at a time.

Here's a short video I shot this morning.

https://youtu.be/5myENGoGVn4
Old 12-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Initiate

If you can't file, shave or dremel for more clearance then maybe find a new place to run, or bring a broom! Jk lol.
Seriously though maybe try a piece of Velcro (furry piece) under the bell crank arm or wherever the rocks are getting stuck to keep the rocks from getting in the way.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

I've been wondering if adding spacers to the center curved piece of the steering to raise it up over the driveshaft cover would be practical. I'm assuming that's where the stones are getting stuck?
I'm not sure if it would effect the steering negatively though. Like would it add slop or make it sluggish?
I was thinking some aluminum tube cut to raise the center steering piece about 1-2mm above the driveshaft cover and then threaded with a m3 tap to accept the same screws to screw it all together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.