Search
Like Tree3Likes

heatsink vs fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default heatsink vs fan

im debating which method is better. I know most people have the heatsink/fan combo, but I'm starting to think for motors like the novak which already have the can heatsinked already, that a heatsink installed would not be working as effective.

does anyone just run a fan on the chassis pointed towards the motor, without a heatsink, and found it more effective than the heatsink/fan combo?

Also, if I have limited space, and can only afford either heatsink or fan, which would be the better option?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Always a fan is more effective than a heatsink, as without airflow a heatsink doesnt dissapate the heat very well.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

since esc nowadays are built small in design. heatsink with fins does not effectively disperse heat. so they need a fan for better cooling & efficiency.

a fan without proper heatsink will not disperse heat efficiently. so the best thing they have to work together.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

I noticed a 20*F drop in motor temp just by instaling a 40mm fan next to the motor

Old 01-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

if you play with motor timing.. u need good cooling high rpm fan.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I use both!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It's really a tough question which one would you put on if you have limited space for only one...

Another clip-on extrusion (clip-on heat sink) would increase surface area, which allows better heat sinking effect with airflow...

If you have airflow hitting your motor while your car is moving, putting a clip-on extrusion out of aluminum would definitely help. It doesn't make sense to blow your motor with say, 25 CFM fan when there's about 40+ CFM coming into the car and hitting your motor from the vehicle's motion...

But, a fan will help if you don't have air flow coming directly in (but you must have the means for air to get in, and if there is an exit or an exhaust area where air can get out... If the air doesn't come in directly onto the motor, increasing your surface area will only help in the short term, long-term, the aluminum clip-on extrusion you added will saturate with heat and do nothing...
Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 PM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Here is a heatsink with fan that I use. It dropped my motor temp about 30 deg. F.
Attached Thumbnails heatsink vs fan-yrac_ya-0148gm_001.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by captain stacker
im debating which method is better. I know most people have the heatsink/fan combo, but I'm starting to think for motors like the novak which already have the can heatsinked already, that a heatsink installed would not be working as effective.

does anyone just run a fan on the chassis pointed towards the motor, without a heatsink, and found it more effective than the heatsink/fan combo?

Also, if I have limited space, and can only afford either heatsink or fan, which would be the better option?
Use neither and gear correctly!

Look at the photo's for the big events, you'll hardly ever see anyone using a fan or heatsink on their motor, Although they help dissipate some heat from the can, they are less effective at cooling the the parts further inside which actually matter.

Look on the bright side, you'll have less weight to balance on the Lipo side.

Skiddins
Old 01-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Guys.. try a thin wet (use cold water) sponge wrapped around the central part of the motor.... it is effective!

The heatsink will keep it in place; don't forget to use a fan.

It works in the hot italian summer!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Use neither and gear correctly!

Look at the photo's for the big events, you'll hardly ever see anyone using a fan or heatsink on their motor, Although they help dissipate some heat from the can, they are less effective at cooling the the parts further inside which actually matter.

Look on the bright side, you'll have less weight to balance on the Lipo side.

Skiddins
Exactly
Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Although you guys are right about drivers using neither at big events, that is because most are sponsored and if they blow a motor, then oh well. They can get another one. With all these new stock spec speedo's it is recomended to use a fan/heatsink on some. The teamwave for an example

for stock racing i would recommend a heatsink/fan combo. For mod use nothing unless its really hot like in Australia (40-45) degrees celcius, then you most likely need eithor or both.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I only use Fan blowing my motor,..i put it behind the motor and i DIY a scoop for the fan to focus the air into the motor...

drop around 10-15celcius on hot day.....
Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Another thing is having a fan does draw excess current. It does have minor impact on performance. Hence for sponsored driver they are eventually helping the manufacturer to test the motor as instructed.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I feel that since there's usually a bit of airflow over the motor while the car is moving anyway, that a heatsink would be more effective if you could use only one.

Personally, I have a heatsink on my motor and since I don't compete in anything other than my local on-road club, I just cut a 3/4" radius semi-circle in the windshield in line with the motor. It dropped the temp by about 40 degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.