R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree12Likes

Old 07-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Nice! Please keep your ideas flowing. We will all learn from it!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #77
Tech Rookie

So I bought one of these. First TC car. It seems no matter what I did when steering the wheels binded on the body and the body was cut waay too long as far as ground clearance. Took the body off and played a bit with it on my street (no traffic and I was very mindful) I did several quick hard turns to get a feel and one of the front axles popped right out. Take it inside and there's a little orange o ring in the diff cups as a spacer. Even with that in there there's still at least 1/4" of play moving the axle from diff to wheel in either direction, on both sides. No play in rear axles. When I slide the axle either way it leaves maybe a total of 2mm of space before it reaches the end of the cup. I have sent it in under warranty and am awaiting to hear back from them. I always remebered hpi having better QC. Rather disappointed. Anyone else have those same problems?
ghostgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #78
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgr View Post
So I bought one of these. First TC car. It seems no matter what I did when steering the wheels binded on the body and the body was cut waay too long as far as ground clearance. Took the body off and played a bit with it on my street (no traffic and I was very mindful) I did several quick hard turns to get a feel and one of the front axles popped right out. Take it inside and there's a little orange o ring in the diff cups as a spacer. Even with that in there there's still at least 1/4" of play moving the axle from diff to wheel in either direction, on both sides. No play in rear axles. When I slide the axle either way it leaves maybe a total of 2mm of space before it reaches the end of the cup. I have sent it in under warranty and am awaiting to hear back from them. I always remebered hpi having better QC. Rather disappointed. Anyone else have those same problems?
Same experience as you. I had to do quite a bit of trimming to keep the front wheels from dragging on the body when turning.

As for the axle issue, it has been a very frustrating problem. I called HPI and explained the problem. The only remedy they could provide at the time was to send new axles. This obviously did not fix the problem so I took it upon myself to find longer dogbones online. I was lucky enough to find some new old stock dog bones for an rs4 sport 2 that are 47mm long.
I put the longer dogbones in with the addition of an extra o-ring on each side of the outdrive cups. I have drove it twice now and the problem seems to be resolved.

a few of us have ordered these with hopes they will work.
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4300

let me know what you hear from HPI since you sent yours in for repair.

Last edited by racinmason; 07-17-2015 at 01:03 PM.
racinmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #79
Tech Initiate

Default SpecR axles

I got the SpecR axles mentioned above from TQRacing in today. Took about 20 mins to install both.<Not familiar with steering set up on this model>. Left stock orange O-ring in with SpecR axles. WORKS GREAT !!!! Bearing ID same as stock HPI. Ran 50c battery full speed on turn with not a hitch!!!! As far as body, the Porsche just needed some minor cosmetic trim around wheel wells but never did catch tires.
blitteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #80
Tech Rookie

Yeh I'll certainly let everyone know what I hear.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Guys please post pics of your cars for everyone to appreciate. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #82
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Keep the updates coming. I ordered my Porsche flux today. These all sold out extremely fast and finally found one in Florida. I contacted HPI in regards to inventory and got this reply... From HPI Racing "Hi, the next batch from us should be available in September as the "Initial Release" stock have sold out. Some local or online HPI resellers may still have some very limited stock remaining. Thank you, HPI Racing"

The car is ultra cool IMO. I do agree quality control could of been much better in regards to the dog bone issue's people are experiencing. I'm going to make the simple upgrade CVD's & other parts on the car thanks to this thread. I'm just looking to bash around and the new design of the car & body is one of the best looking rtr 1/10 scales to come out in a very long time. I couldn't wait until September when the car starts making it's way into distribution locations and I doubt the dog-bone issue will be fixed with the second batch of cars since there probably all ready assembled and just waiting to be shipped (Marketing hype) to coordinate with HPI's marketing strategy for the car.
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #83
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

CVD's showed up today, so out with the old....

And in with the new:

Everything fits great, perfect length and everything. So if anyone is searching for CVD's the Spec-R's are an option for you.

Front:

Rear:
Old 07-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Looking good Mr P!nk!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #85
Tech Elite

If I had a choice, I would buy High Angle CVDs for the front and if I had extra cash, I would buy Spec-R DCJs for the front.

High Angle CVDs are not that expensive. They are 46mm

http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/sh...46#3860P18-18T
Old 07-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #86
Tech Rookie

Looks good. Hopefully mine come back with the hpi cv joints. And a proper cut body.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Again, they really have nice bodies and wheels that come with the kits.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 Sport 3-hpixfatlace_brz_1.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-958c1426c7_hpi-x-fifteen52-bmw-e30-m3-rs4-3-sport-1.jpeg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-hpi-falken-tire-porsche-911-gt3-rsr-rs4-sport-3-flux.jpg  
Old 07-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #88
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

MrPink- Looks great thanks for sharing the pic's looks to be the best option so far. Let us know how the car responds.

ghostgr- Did you send back the entire car to hpi? I'm curious if they set your car up with the hpi CVD's part #114437 since there not available yet for sale. Also curious if your body was a defect unit / gets modified or replaced.

I did find some RS4 Sport 2 47mm dogbones (ordered them) but would like to upgrade to the hpi or the spec-R's CVD's seems the way to go.
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #89
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudacharger View Post
MrPink- Looks great thanks for sharing the pic's looks to be the best option so far. Let us know how the car responds.

ghostgr- Did you send back the entire car to hpi? I'm curious if they set your car up with the hpi CVD's part #114437 since there not available yet for sale. Also curious if your body was a defect unit / gets modified or replaced.

I did find some RS4 Sport 2 47mm dogbones (ordered them) but would like to upgrade to the hpi or the spec-R's CVD's seems the way to go.
Yes to hpi. It will be back tuesday. They didn't call or anything just shipped it out a few days later. I'll let yall know what they did if anything.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Cudacharger;14100726]MrPink- Looks great thanks for sharing the pic's looks to be the best option so far. Let us know how the car responds.

I did find some RS4 Sport 2 47mm dogbones (ordered them) but would like to upgrade to the hpi or the spec-R's CVD's seems the way to go.[/QUOTe

More likely they will just replace the dog bones and O rings. If they install the upgrades on one vehicle, then they would flooded with vehicles being sent in.
More likely they don't have the upgrades ready yet. With it being this comon a problem, they would rushing to get them out. Sure they love reading that aftermarket stuff works.
Unfortunately this has become a pattern with Hpi and new releases. At least here in the States.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote