R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree12Likes

Old 05-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #706
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal One View Post
I don't get it. Your TT-02 is a box of parts that comes with a 3 dollar motor, no ESC, no TX, no RX and no body. The RS4 Sport is fully assembled with a TX/RX and a brushless power system made by either Castle or Hobbywing. The Porsche version includes very wide tires, a big painted and finished body with diffusers and an adjustable wing.

I just bought a TT-02D Type S last week. The cheapest I could find the Type S kit this morning was $125 from 4 different stores. A motor / ESC combo will run $110 for the Castle Sidewinder 3 system or $100 for a Hobbywing combo. If you already have a decent radio, an RX will cost $30-60 depending on your brand and features. Then after all that, you still need a body. There goes 50-80 more bucks. (gotta have paint and a wing) We're up to $300-385 and that's assuming you already have a transmitter to control it.

Now we've spent the same money but lost half the weekend or more to build and paint it all. I happen to like the building part but if time = money, it doesn't even come close. The HPI is a much cheaper car out of the box.

Also, the RS4 Sport has steel gears in the drive system and diffs. The only steel gear in the Tamiya is the pinion.

Other than that, I like them both. I've owned them both. I returned the RS4 and just finished my TT-02D Type S last night. It looks like this.
I'm all about RTRs, but as we both know, when you build a kit you end up with a vehicle that doesn't *need* tweaking or upgrading, because you can take care of that during assembly. RTR electronics are mediocre at best, and usually have to be replaced within a few months -- especially nowadays, it seems like RC companies don't even pretend that RTR electronics are expected to last a long time -- and factory-assembled chassis always need *something* disassembled and fixed, which you can only discover by taking the whole thing apart and inspecting it. For me, at least, the benefit of RTR is the ability to decide whether I like the concept of a vehicle before investing the time and money to upgrade it and tune it -- RTR doesn't actually spare me that effort if I decide to keep the vehicle. The only RTR I ever bought that I didn't *need* to upgrade within the first year was my Summit -- all I did was put stiffer springs on it, and Pro-Line tires because I wanted to. Every other RTR vehicle I've owned has required some amount of upgrading before it could do what it was supposed to do.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #707
Tech Initiate

I was able to pick up the Sport 3 Flux Porsche 911 one, which sold out again less than 24hours. Bascially brand new, can't wait to try it.

Indeed sold by HPI racing out of Foothill Ranch branch.

You guys know where I can buy more tires of the same size for the Sport 3 flux?
kevin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #708
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
I was able to pick up the Sport 3 Flux Porsche 911 one, which sold out again less than 24hours. Bascially brand new, can't wait to try it.

Indeed sold by HPI racing out of Foothill Ranch branch.

You guys know where I can buy more tires of the same size for the Sport 3 flux?
I've read that there were some good deals there. Hope you like it. I never did find any tires near in size. If you want to use the Porsche body, kinda limited to stock tires. Before selling I switched to standard 1/10 tc tires, had to then change bodies.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #709
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I'm all about RTRs, but as we both know, when you build a kit you end up with a vehicle that doesn't *need* tweaking or upgrading, because you can take care of that during assembly. RTR electronics are mediocre at best, and usually have to be replaced within a few months -- especially nowadays, it seems like RC companies don't even pretend that RTR electronics are expected to last a long time -- and factory-assembled chassis always need *something* disassembled and fixed, which you can only discover by taking the whole thing apart and inspecting it. For me, at least, the benefit of RTR is the ability to decide whether I like the concept of a vehicle before investing the time and money to upgrade it and tune it -- RTR doesn't actually spare me that effort if I decide to keep the vehicle. The only RTR I ever bought that I didn't *need* to upgrade within the first year was my Summit -- all I did was put stiffer springs on it, and Pro-Line tires because I wanted to. Every other RTR vehicle I've owned has required some amount of upgrading before it could do what it was supposed to do.
Very well put fyrstormer couldn't have said it better myself.

Nice score Kevin32 the stock tires are on backorder from tower last time I checked if your going to run the stock BBS wheels and slicks with RSR Porsche body like BK mentioned.

The Optional HPI high speed gearing set finally became available just few days ago. Set includes a 53T spur gear and 44T pinion gear. Stock gearing with 3s is fast out of the box....these below are for the Camo Falken 2.

From HPI "Please note: This high speed gear set is intended for high speed running only and is not recommended for repeated stopping and starting."
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 Sport 3-high-speed-gear-set.jpg  
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #710
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I've read that there were some good deals there. Hope you like it. I never did find any tires near in size. If you want to use the Porsche body, kinda limited to stock tires. Before selling I switched to standard 1/10 tc tires, had to then change bodies.

Sport 3 flux Porsche kit up for sale again. Look like they have quite a inventory.

Check in eBay. Also they increase the price on it. But still a great deal.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:44 AM   #711
Tech Master

Quote:
Sport 3 flux Porsche kit up for sale again. Look like they have quite a inventory.

Check in eBay. Also they increase the price on it. But still a great deal.
I gave it a try. Got it day it came out. Put 40 runs on it. It wasn't for me. I sold mine, it wasn't going to replace any of the TC I already owned. Had potential to be something, but was going to take more then I was willing to spend.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #712
Tech Master

If it were up to me, I'd get the brushed version, put one of HPI's Porsche 911 GT3 RS bodies on it, and upgrade to brushless later once I'd figured out which system I want. It looks way better than the camo body with the toothy grin anyway:

Last edited by fyrstormer; 05-04-2016 at 11:37 AM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #713
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So what seems to be the fix for the steering drift? Also super fidgety at speed. I stuck a Savox and solid arm on, still pulls left and right randomly. Alloy rack and turnbuckles? Just turnbuckles to adjust some toe in?

Gearing up a bit today, would like to get the steering more predictable.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #714
Tech Adept

Fyrstormer's- Nice looking Ride!...I'm about as traditional as they come but something about the Kevin Neuville livery I really like on this car reminds me of The P-51 Mustang with its distinctive shark face nose art, holds the Allied fighter record for shooting down the most enemy aircraft during WW2. The Shark's face was meant to scare the crap out of the enemy.

The grey color is hard to see if you go out of range for speed testing.

maslin- Still running stock servo and tracks like a bullet. Exotek turnbuckles and YR steering alum upgrades fix the wandering issues.

What would be really cool is some quality 3D vinyl decals to place on the side and rear windows to give the car a full size racer cockpit illusion.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 Sport 3-l3-falken-kevin-neuville-10-1.jpg  
Old 05-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #715
Tech Master

Thanks! It's actually a Tamiya XV-01 with touring-car and rear-motor conversions, but it shows off the body nicely. Not that I have anywhere to drive it with all the beat-up pavement near me, instead my rally cars get all the fun. My RS4 3 Evo+ has the BMW E30 body on it, and it's a freaking tank with lifted rally suspension.

Yeah, I know what the shark face is from/for, I just don't like it on a car. It doesn't look like a shark anymore.

Yeah Racing makes parts for HPI? I thought they only did Japanese brands.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #716
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
So what seems to be the fix for the steering drift? Also super fidgety at speed. I stuck a Savox and solid arm on, still pulls left and right randomly. Alloy rack and turnbuckles? Just turnbuckles to adjust some toe in?

Gearing up a bit today, would like to get the steering more predictable.
Every time I have had random left/right wandering while accelerating, it was because the chassis needed a rear swaybar to make the rear suspension squat evenly when the weight transfers to the rear during acceleration. Then, of course, it needs a front swaybar too, to counteract the oversteer effect from stiffening the rear suspension. I don't know if there are swaybars available for the RS4 3 Sport; if there aren't, the only other solution would be to install stiffer springs and accept the tradeoff of a harsher ride.

On the other hand, if it's wandering while cruising at a constant speed, that suggests it needs toe-in (or less toe-out) in the front. If it's wandering when coasting or braking, that suggests it needs toe-out (or less toe-in) at the front -- also a fix for super-twitchy steering. If the wandering is actually caused by the rear stepping-out, then it's the the *rear* wheels that need more toe-in.

All of this assumes the steering moves freely when disconnected from the steering servo, and the servo itself has no detectable slop. (some cheap servos do have slop, even if they have metal gears.)
Old 05-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #717
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudacharger View Post
maslin- Still running stock servo and tracks like a bullet. Exotek turnbuckles and YR steering alum upgrades fix the wandering issues.
Both on the way. This is the RC I said I wouldn't be spending money on

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Every time I have had random left/right wandering while accelerating, it was because the chassis needed a rear swaybar to make the rear suspension squat evenly when the weight transfers to the rear during acceleration. Then, of course, it needs a front swaybar too, to counteract the oversteer effect from stiffening the rear suspension. I don't know if there are swaybars available for the RS4 3 Sport; if there aren't, the only other solution would be to install stiffer springs and accept the tradeoff of a harsher ride.

On the other hand, if it's wandering while cruising at a constant speed, that suggests it needs toe-in (or less toe-out) in the front. If it's wandering when coasting or braking, that suggests it needs toe-out (or less toe-in) at the front -- also a fix for super-twitchy steering. If the wandering is actually caused by the rear stepping-out, then it's the the *rear* wheels that need more toe-in.

All of this assumes the steering moves freely when disconnected from the steering servo, and the servo itself has no detectable slop. (some cheap servos do have slop, even if they have metal gears.)
The servo is tight, brand new Savox 1251, with a metal arm. Lots of play from the stock steering linkage, ball bearing YR setup is on the way. It's not wandering around while driving, just constantly changing the steering center. Adjust it to go straight, 2 minutes later it pulls right. Adjust again, 2 minutes later it pulls left. Hit a bump, pulls right again

Removing the servo saver helped quite a bit, but it's still there.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #718
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I gave it a try. Got it day it came out. Put 40 runs on it. It wasn't for me. I sold mine, it wasn't going to replace any of the TC I already owned. Had potential to be something, but was going to take more then I was willing to spend.
Hi Billy,

I have not run mine yet. Waiting for my lipo battery. What didn't you like about it?

What's the con and pro?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #719
Tech Adept

Here we go best to revisit the entire thread for those pros and cons.

Last edited by Cudacharger; 05-04-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #720
Tech Master

Quote:
Hi Billy,

I have not run mine yet. Waiting for my lipo battery. What didn't you like about it?

What's the con and pro?
Cuda is right. If you go back to page 39-40 you can find our last discussion pro and con. Simple answer is it wasn't better then they 10 other TC I have. I go for minimum upgrades. And after changing tires and body I had reached my limit. And without spending more it wasn't going to be better, or equal to what I already had. Then add the usually long delay in releasing parts by Hpi. And I had had enuff.
I really wanted it to be a hit. Just wasn't for me.