R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree8Likes

Old 01-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #526
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudacharger View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth wareable84. I stopped waiting for HPI on this car awhile ago and just pleased the car has some aftermarket support finally so I can go drive it for the first time after 6 months.
You really made it 6 months without driving it. Hope it works for you better then it did for me.
This has been Hpi pattern now for 5 years. Going back to the Savage XS. Bought that day it was released in September of 2010. Took till June of 2011 for wheeliebar to become available.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #527
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All the Yeah Racing kits (11) already sold out on ebay.
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #528
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle84 View Post
The Hobbico acquisition has not been good for the HPI brand...
That pretty much says it all right there. That's when it all started going downhill. They haven't been the same company since.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #529
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal One View Post
That pretty much says it all right there. That's when it all started going downhill. They haven't been the same company since.
Hpi spent a lot of time explaining that only the U.S. distrubution was sold. Not the company. From what I've read on Big Squid, Hpi Europe runs everything.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #530
Tech Initiate

Default hpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal One View Post
I was out of rc for a bit but when I entered back into thehobby i opted for the hpi brand over the team associated apex for simple reasoning of the quality of the hpi
rs4's I previously owned.. I like the chassis set up an have potentional to be a decent lil club racer..not compective aspect but just the out there enoying the hobby aspect. but I wish I wouldn't have purchased the two I did just do to the parts availability.. not to mention as well the bodies are very flimsy now an junk
bryangrizzlyohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #531
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryangrizzlyohi View Post
I was out of rc for a bit but when I entered back into thehobby i opted for the hpi brand over the team associated apex for simple reasoning of the quality of the hpi
rs4's I previously owned.. I like the chassis set up an have potentional to be a decent lil club racer..not compective aspect but just the out there enoying the hobby aspect. but I wish I wouldn't have purchased the two I did just do to the parts availability.. not to mention as well the bodies are very flimsy now an junk
Excellent point when looking back at HPI's RS4 history and previous models. If you've been in the hobby for awhile the club racing RS4 cars hpi produced in the 90's were some of the best in the business and the hpi challenge series for on-road were at an all time high. For those who participated from that era know what I'm talking about. The key with any older hpi Rs4 product was back then to have the foresight of parts availability ( hpi is zero in todays world with discontinued kit after kit) and start a collection/hoarding of spares as I call it so you can enjoy driving the car worry free of having to replace a rare broken part down the road. The newer models are what they are the hobby has really changed over the past two decades. Excluding Tamiya, I will say HPI produces some of the best looking on road bodies in the hobby is why I still own some of the new models they produce today. Just really sad to see the quality has dropped since the 90's.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #532
Tech Initiate

Default tamiya

Quote:
Excellent point when looking back at HPI's RS4 history and previous models. If you've been in the hobby for awhile the club racing RS4 cars hpi produced in the 90's were some of the best in the business and the hpi challenge series for on-road were at an all time high. For those who participated from that era know what I'm talking about. The key with any older hpi Rs4 product was back then to have the foresight of parts availability ( hpi is zero in todays world with discontinued kit after kit) and start a collection/hoarding of spares as I call it so you can enjoy driving the car worry free of having to replace a rare broken part down the road. The newer models are what they are the hobby has really changed over the past two decades. Excluding Tamiya, I will say HPI produces some of the best looking on road bodies in the hobby is why I still own some of the new models they produce today. Just really sad to see the quality has dropped since the 90's.
ive built several Tamiya kits in fact me an my me an my nephew just built a couple of tt-02 kits an if my parts are not at the hobby shop there is ebay or tower or several other websites.. Tamiya in my opinion has always been a great clubracer.. but yes hpi didn't go down hill they tripped slid there asses down
Old 01-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #533
Tech Initiate

Default yeah Racing upgrade

I got my upgrade kit yesterday. I did just the front end as the rear seems ok. I did notice they have different sized CVD's for front and rear. Front is 45 mm and rear is 42 mm. After putting it all on, which went quite smooth, I noticed steering would not move. I found when you tighten the screws on the steering cross bar, the bearings won't turn. I fixed this by loosening the screws about 1/2 turn and using loctite to make sure they don't loosen up. I set it up on an integy set-up system with 2 deg. toe in and 2 deg. camber. Tried straight runs and no more wandering. I ran a 4000 Mah 50c battery down to cut off with no problems. Will try on carpet track tomorrow.
blitteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #534
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitteer View Post
I got my upgrade kit yesterday. I did just the front end as the rear seems ok. I did notice they have different sized CVD's for front and rear. Front is 45 mm and rear is 42 mm. After putting it all on, which went quite smooth, I noticed steering would not move. I found when you tighten the screws on the steering cross bar, the bearings won't turn. I fixed this by loosening the screws about 1/2 turn and using loctite to make sure they don't loosen up. I set it up on an integy set-up system with 2 deg. toe in and 2 deg. camber. Tried straight runs and no more wandering. I ran a 4000 Mah 50c battery down to cut off with no problems. Will try on carpet track tomorrow.
Thanks for the update blitteer the kit is very nice indeed I'm finishing up the YR conversion as well. I started on the alloy drive line & hub (Exotek) and the ultra lightweight front replacement diff...waiting on the rear diff to arrive tomorrow. The front diff installed very nicely & rotates so much smoother then the stock diff. I have the front lower arms and CVD's installed (The CVD's are sweet)...going to build the matching turnbuckles today and get those installed as well. The front servo ball steering upgraded is done.

I really enjoy how easy this car is to work on.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 Sport 3-rs4-front.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-exotek.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-rs4-sport-3-diff.jpg  
Old 01-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #535
Tech Initiate

Guys,
I've read the whole thread, 36 pages so far
And got to ask...
I want to purchase a new on-road car 1/10, to drive inside malls parking lots when there's rain or snow.
I also would like to run it on the roads when its not rainy\snow... just for fun.
I've got an awesome off-road RC cars (Thunder tiger MT4, Kyosho MP9 TKI3, Kyosho B-XXL VE).

Should I purchase the HPI RS4 Sport 3 flux? (Porshe model) I don't want to purchase a drift car. light drift as an option will be cool.
Any other car you recommend? I also saw that HPI released a new model 2015 Ford Mustang RTR Spec 5, aka HPI #115126
Is it a drift or Porsche similarity?

I want to purchase an awesome car! that can get to high speeds (60+ m/h) while still can take rounds at 20-30m/h.

Thanks in advance.
CrAzYoNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #536
Tech Initiate

Default YR Upgrades

Just left track after testing new YR front end. Before you put it all together or even start to put it together, CHECK LOCKING SCREW IN DIFF. END OF CVD'S!!!!! Had one come out after 1 lap. I checked the rest and ALL were loose!! Put green loctite on all of them and ran for two hrs. with no problems! Steering is way better and car doesn't wander at all!!!!
blitteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #537
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitteer View Post
Just left track after testing new YR front end. Before you put it all together or even start to put it together, CHECK LOCKING SCREW IN DIFF. END OF CVD'S!!!!! Had one come out after 1 lap. I checked the rest and ALL were loose!! Put green loctite on all of them and ran for two hrs. with no problems! Steering is way better and car doesn't wander at all!!!!
Excellent point thanks for the updated feedback. The instructions call this out could be easy to miss since there really small print outs that come with the kit.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #538
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Was hoping Exotek would make the spindle shaft ends also to go with the center shaft. The crown diff gear looks amazing just like the ones from Tamiya TB Evolution IV.

Sponsor by Makita Li-Ion Brushless Power Tools. Eat the power!

Selling something but no pictures, goodbye.
SuperFastSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #539
Tech Initiate

Default yeah racing

Does this upgrade come as a complete package? Because I would love to make my rs4 a decent lil club racer!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #540
Tech Adept

Quote:
All the Yeah Racing kits (11) already sold out on ebay.
I purchased the last one. I think for $85 I was expecting more parts. A motor mount at least and probably adjustable turnbuckles. The chassis has to much flex in the center and begins to bow under stress. That needs fixing.
Twisted_Metal is offline   Reply With Quote