R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #481
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 411
Default

Tried a new place to run this weekend. Big parking lot with plenty of room. I could not get this car to track straight for anything. It always wants to veer to one side or the other, even with a new high-torque Futaba digital servo in it. There are no adjustments on the car to set toe-in or anything and the servo saver is tight so back into the truck it went. I put the 3S pack I had planned for speed runs into my Glamis Uno and ripped it around a soccer field for a while.

I have thought about ways to raise the bellcrank with all of the steering parts available from other cars but I was holding off on grinding the chassis until I had exhausted all other means of getting this taken care of. I didn't want to make any modifications that might void any sort of warranty or return policy.

Fortunately, Tower has come through for me. I don't need to concern myself with it any longer other than to reinstall the OEM servo and RX and ship it back to them. I guess my dead servo and video was enough to get it returned as defective. Tower is good people and although I'm not very happy with Hobbico's response, I'll still gladly trade up to a WR8 Flux preorder if they'll do it. I know the WR8 chassis can handle anything I throw at it because I have the WR8 3.0 and love it.

This car has so much potential but it's not the one for me. I guess I won't retire my 15 year old Nitro RS4 after all. I can still get belts for it!
__________________
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Metal One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #482
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 411
Default

HPI contacted me today. They are now aware of the issue and seem genuinely interested in how this happens and ways to fix it.

I've returned the car to its factory setup and it will go back tomorrow. In the meantime, I found a sweet deal on a WR8 Flux and it should be here by the weekend.
__________________
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Metal One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #483
Tech Addict
 
1spunspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Carquinez striaghts
Posts: 553
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal One View Post
Those look nice. I love the fact that it's all in one package. No adjustable links though. I'd like to be able to get to the point where I'm considering upgrades but first I need to be able to drive it for more than a minute or two at a time.

Here's a short video I shot this morning.

https://youtu.be/5myENGoGVn4
What's up with the links? No toe adjust? I thought this stuff was mandatory. Looks very cool though.
__________________
P./
1spunspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #484
Tech Addict
 
1spunspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Carquinez striaghts
Posts: 553
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
If you can't file, shave or dremel for more clearance then maybe find a new place to run, or bring a broom! Jk lol.
Seriously though maybe try a piece of Velcro (furry piece) under the bell crank arm or wherever the rocks are getting stuck to keep the rocks from getting in the way.
This is what gets me about tub chassis'. I'm about to drill a hole in my tc4 chassis. Just a little hole a bit larger than the usual pebble that gets stuck in the steering linkage. You might not want to do that to your brand new ride.
__________________
P./
1spunspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #485
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spunspur View Post
This is what gets me about tub chassis'. I'm about to drill a hole in my tc4 chassis. Just a little hole a bit larger than the usual pebble that gets stuck in the steering linkage. You might not want to do that to your brand new ride.
Whoa! So this does happen with other brands too. Team Associated shaft driven 4WD, no less. Hmmm.

My Sport 3 is packed up waiting to be picked up by UPS but the guy I've been talking to at HPI really wants me to keep this car and keep them updated with my experiences with it. I also want to keep it but... dangit! If I can't drive it...

It appears the car is going to have some pretty decent aftermarket support, at least from Yeah Racing anyway. I wonder if they have any plans for a chassis. The thing is, this is a very complex chassis as it is. It's not just a tub with stuff bolted into it. The sealed drivetrain system is part of the chassis mold. An aftermarket chassis will take some serious effort and design.

I dunno. I still have a few hours to decide.
__________________
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Metal One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #486
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spunspur View Post
What's up with the links? No toe adjust? I thought this stuff was mandatory. Looks very cool though.
I know, right? Adjustable linkage is more important than all of that stuff! Well... maybe not those sweet CVDs.
__________________
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Metal One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #487
Tech Elite
 
English365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,154
Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)
Default

Is this chassis 190mm or 200mm? I see on HPIs site that it is 200mm, however I feel it is only due to the wheel offset. Can someone confirm whether or not a 190mm TC body will fit with TC wheels/tires?
__________________
Kyosho America~Thunder Power~Team Orion~KO PROPO~AKA
Mikes Hobby Shop...TeamTreeTop!
English365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #488
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 1,915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by English365 View Post
Is this chassis 190mm or 200mm? I see on HPIs site that it is 200mm, however I feel it is only due to the wheel offset. Can someone confirm whether or not a 190mm TC body will fit with TC wheels/tires?
I was running standard touring car tires. The stock tires are huge compared to a set of Sweep tires. The Porsche body is huge. I ended up switching to the Subaru body from the drift version before selling the vehicle.


https://youtu.be/TyfoLshMQSo Quick video of it next to the Associated Apex.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #489
Tech Adept
 
Mr P!nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 119
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by English365 View Post
Is this chassis 190mm or 200mm? I see on HPIs site that it is 200mm, however I feel it is only due to the wheel offset. Can someone confirm whether or not a 190mm TC body will fit with TC wheels/tires?
This chassis is 190mm wide, I bought the BMW version and it has +3mm offset wheels stock, and the BMW body is 200mm. I was also able to run thicker wheel hexes with that combo. So with normal 0mm offset wheels and a 190mm body it should be fine.
Mr P!nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #490
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal One View Post
HPI contacted me today. They are now aware of the issue and seem genuinely interested in how this happens and ways to fix it.

I've returned the car to its factory setup and it will go back tomorrow. In the meantime, I found a sweet deal on a WR8 Flux and it should be here by the weekend.
Feedback from end users like us is important. It's good to hear that HPI is listening.

I'm pretty sure that there will be more aftermarket parts that will come out in the future.
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #491
Tech Adept
 
Cudacharger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 198
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
Feedback from end users like us is important. It's good to hear that HPI is listening.

I'm pretty sure that there will be more aftermarket parts that will come out in the future.
I agree SagaSetup my car hasn't been touched since purchased in July I got one of the first units except for some upgraded hpi wheel lugs and arrow mirrors. I've followed the thread and decided when all the correct hop-ups become available I'm going to dial in the car.



I really dig this car and the new design to give up on it.
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #492
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 1,915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudacharger View Post
I agree SagaSetup my car hasn't been touched since purchased in July I got one of the first units except for some upgraded hpi wheel lugs and arrow mirrors. I've followed the thread and decided when all the correct hop-ups become available I'm going to dial in the car.

I really dig this car and the new design to give up on it.
Forgot you had one. You haven't driven it yet?
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #493
Tech Adept
 
Cudacharger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 198
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Forgot you had one. You haven't driven it yet?
I haven't when I got it in the middle of summer it was really hot here in Vegas so as this thread started I followed everyone's misfortunes and have been sitting back waiting for the right aftermarket parts to become available. Sad to say I have several brand new NIB cars in my collection that still haven't hit the tarmac yet.

A WR8 KB Flux is in the mail excited to get that one on the road asap if it makes it here by X-Mass.
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #494
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 1,915
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudacharger View Post
I haven't when I got it in the middle of summer it was really hot here in Vegas so as this thread started I followed everyone's misfortunes and have been sitting back waiting for the right aftermarket parts to become available. Sad to say I have several brand new NIB cars in my collection that still haven't hit the tarmac yet.

A WR8 KB Flux is in the mail excited to get that one on the road asap if it makes it here by X-Mass.
I'll give up credit for having restraint. I usually don't get out store parking lot without driving a new vehicle. I work outdoors so I try to not let weather stop me, other then rain.
Don't let the WR8 sit in box.
Hope you have better luck with the Sport3. From few new posts on URC, sounds like the dog bone issues is being addressed. Doesn't seem to be happening like it was. See what happens. I really wanted it to be good.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #495
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 37
Default

doe anyone know the gearing of cars front an rear im gonna be using this as a indoor stock rtr class to run
bryangrizzlyohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
stoopideric
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:40 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net