Search
Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JudbboyUK
Hi Billy,

what would you recommend instead of the Sport 3 (cost wise) for someone wanting to do a bit of racing?

Thanks
Hobbyking is about to release a rebadged team c in about a month. That's defiantly worth looking at for the price point.

I think they're going to have a kit version and artr version.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Camzie
Will a 50mm shock like Yeah Racing Shock-Gear 50mm Damper Set for 1/10 RC Touring Car Blue #DSG-0050BU fit the sport 3 well? is that the right size? if not can someone link me to something that will work well for drifting on that car?
Originally Posted by wareagle84
I have the Yeah Racing dampers on my Sprint 2 setup for drift and combined with MST drift springs work quite well, especially for the price. I have the 55mm on the S2...not sure what length the stock RS4 S3 are though. Tamiya TRF's with drift springs are a popular choice also, but are about 2-3x more than the YR.

After some research it looks like the stock HPI dampers for the RS4 Sport 3 are 54mm (center to center) and travel adjusts from 39mm-50mm. I would go with the 55mm Yeah Racing shocks, or spend $50+ on Yokomo or TRF's. Either way, go with 55mm dampers and I highly recommend MST drift springs for whatever damper you go with. I find most others either too hard or too expensive for my occasional drift session.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RS4 Guy
Anyone know where to find a spur gear for this car? HPI just sent me a motor mount set because the gear keeps slipping and now the hex nut is nearly stripped from trying to adjust it. They are back ordered on spur gears so they can't even send me one. No matter what I do it always slips unless I move the spur gear really close and tighten it down which in that case it's too close and sounds terrible like it's grinding and really stressing the motor. So it's either slipping or grinding and I'm hoping installing a new spur gear and motor mount with some lock tight will solve this issue. I can post pictures if it would help. I'd really appreciate any help troubleshooting this thing.

So far this car has been nothing but trouble. I'm about to box it up and send it to HPI but even then they don't even have the parts to fix it!!
Since I've run it about a month ago I've gone through a motor, motor mount kit, dogbones (finally bough some Tamiya 44mm CVD's) and now it's looking like a spur gear. SMH...
I picked up a 72t 48p spur by Kimbrough at my lhs , they said it fits an AE tc3-4. As long as you don't mind running only 2 screws to secure it in the hub. It was all they had, I tried it and it fits.
Also I just got my Exotek aluminum shaft and hub in as well as my 21.5 combo from hobbyking. I'm hoping to make it to the VTA race on Sunday.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Beef
I picked up a 72t 48p spur by Kimbrough at my lhs , they said it fits an AE tc3-4. As long as you don't mind running only 2 screws to secure it in the hub. It was all they had, I tried it and it fits.
Also I just got my Exotek aluminum shaft and hub in as well as my 21.5 combo from hobbyking. I'm hoping to make it to the VTA race on Sunday.
Similar situation here. I bought a Team Associated spur gear but can only attach it with two screws. So far it works alright but it's really disappointing that this car has been out for 9+ months and replacement parts are slim to none. Even HPI themselves say mid December for a proper spur gear.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Similar situation here. I bought a Team Associated spur gear but can only attach it with two screws. So far it works alright but it's really disappointing that this car has been out for 9+ months and replacement parts are slim to none. Even HPI themselves say mid December for a proper spur gear.
Only been out since July. But yeah not first time that hpi has done this with a new release.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Tech Initiate

hey rctech!

ive been backreading over thread over the weekend. i am now aware of all the issues that this has been giving owners. i still do want to purchase a rc car just to drift. im fairly new to the hobby and at the moment, i dont want to build an rc out of the box. i do want to in the future.

i was planning on picking one up this thanksgiving weekend. i noticed that the turnbuckles arent adjustable. what is the correct size? ive been browsing on rc shops but they come in different sizes. any help will do thanks!

i plan on picking up the rs4 sprint 3 drift with the brz body
Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by r_torres
hey rctech!

ive been backreading over thread over the weekend. i am now aware of all the issues that this has been giving owners. i still do want to purchase a rc car just to drift. im fairly new to the hobby and at the moment, i dont want to build an rc out of the box. i do want to in the future.

i was planning on picking one up this thanksgiving weekend. i noticed that the turnbuckles arent adjustable. what is the correct size? ive been browsing on rc shops but they come in different sizes. any help will do thanks!

I'm using Team Associated 35mm and 25mm turnbuckles for the suspension and steering turnbuckles. I have the RPM rod ends (4.3mm) and some HPI hex head ball studs. I drilled holes in the ball cups of the RPM ends so I can get the hex driver to the ball stud. I've used the same setup on my Sprint 2 and it works great and is relatively cheap.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey rctech!

Yeah I wouldn't let all the little issues stop anyone from stepping into a Sport 3Flux. It's good for anyone looking to learn about mechanics and the wrenching on an rc road car. Simple design and easy working access to the moving parts.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cudacharger
Yeah I wouldn't let all the little issues stop anyone from stepping into a Sport 3Flux. It's good for anyone looking to learn about mechanics and the wrenching on an rc road car. Simple design and easy working access to the moving parts.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for that comment.

I believe that this chassis will eventually pick up in the future. I am being hopeful that HPI and/or third parties will come out with upgrade parts for this.
I still like the simplicity of the drivetrain plus it's sealed which prolongs the life of the moving parts.

Nice car BTW.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Has anyone run a 3S battery in this car? Wondering what sort of difference you'd see over a 2S 5000mAh 25C.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone run a 3S battery in this car? Wondering what sort of difference you'd see over a 2S 5000mAh 25C.
Of the 44 runs I put though mine before selling it, about half were on 3s. Its a definate jump in speed. But not enuff to make up for the design flaws.
I hope that it does work out for those that are keeping car or buying in future. But for me it was just not worth it. After 75 vehicles owned,to me, it was one of the 3 or worst
Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Initiate

so the only difference between the flux and drift/sport is the motor?
Old 11-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

so the only difference between the flux and drift/sport is the motor?
Motor, esc, wheels, tires, body and I'm not positive on this, but I think the flux has a different spur gear to take advantage of the more powerful brushless system. I've seen different people claiming different size spur gears and it seems the flux people have a spur better suited for higher top speed.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the heads up... im stil waiting on mine. hoping black friday deals are good at my local hobby store.. if not ill just pick it up at regular price..
Old 11-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Initiate

does the yeah racing preassembled tie rods fit on the rs4??

(#SPT2-115OR)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.