R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree12Likes

Old 07-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr P!nk View Post
Here are a couple pics from the manual. It definitely says high speed gear set, but it also looks like a spur/pinion combo. Seems odd that they would bundle those two together not knowing what motor/esc/battery you have. They even list another spur right next to it as a 66T, stock is 75T.

I really don't know what they mean by it, unless it's a spur/pinion that is specific to their Flux version. Who knows.

This is the weight as it sits with wheels/tires, body, electronics, everything. I didn't get a chance to weigh it with all the stock electronics. So this is with a Tekin RS, a Tekin redline motor, a savox servo, and a 5000mah 2s lipo.

Slightly heavy, you could probably get it lighter if you removed the sealed receiver box. Might be a good VTA starter car though.

Not bad. Just remove/replace some parts here and there.

Please more pics of the actual car sir.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #32
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah the highspeed gear setup would be better for this car...my slash has a 2.72 internal ratio and its too light for me...and I've got the biggest pinion that would fit without having to guesstimate gear mesh...

I tried to find that highspeed spur at towerhobbies but its not listed yet...but i think i read somewhere its supposed to be a 53t...i wish i could remember where i read that though...could have been Facebook
Old 07-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

The fact that the high speed gearing setup is available with such a giant pinion and a tiny spur is a good sign as it will probably be possible to use this car in VTA/17.5 stock with that little spur and a pinion with 40-some teeth. Actually what would be really cool is if HPI would release a VTA spec RTR version of this car. They have all the bodies, tires and everything available within their lineup, so it sure would be easy...hmmm...maybe one day. Anyhow, it does look like a good basher car and a HUGE step up from the thoroughly antiquated Sprint 2.

Last edited by WheelNut; 07-03-2015 at 09:18 AM.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #34
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just received my hpi rs4 sport 3 flux Porsche Thursday. This was my first ever street car excluding the xray m18 I bought years ago. The only other HPI products I own are a couple wheelie kings. Everything else I own is Losi or Traxxas.

I was attracted to the fact that everything was sealed up. I have no intentions of ever racing, I just wanted something for parking lot fun.

Overall I'm happy or I should say will be happy once I get a front drive axles issue fixed. So far I'm having a real problem keeping my front drive axles in place. I only run on 2s so I don't think its being over powered, I suspect the dog bones are a little too short. everytime I turn the wheels and accelerate, either the left or right front dog bone axle will pop out. At that point, its pretty hard to control with only 2wd. nothing is broken and the drivecups are not damage.

I contacted HPI about the issue and I'm hoping to hear from them this week. They offer a driveshaft CVD universal set, Id be willing to buy those but I don't think they are available for purchase yet.

Hopefully HPI support is easy to work with. Ive never had to contact them before. I will update after I get the problem fixed. The car is fun to drive when its not broke.

racinmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #35
Suspended

Mason...put 0-rings in the diff out puts and axles that should hold you till you can get it worked out
Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #36
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongluc View Post
Mason...put 0-rings in the diff out puts and axles that should hold you till you can get it worked out
I may try that and see if it helps. I was going to take a spring out of a pen and cut it down but I'm not sure if it'll stay. The extra o-rings might be a longer last solution.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:39 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinmason View Post
I just received my hpi rs4 sport 3 flux Porsche Thursday. This was my first ever street car excluding the xray m18 I bought years ago. The only other HPI products I own are a couple wheelie kings. Everything else I own is Losi or Traxxas.

I was attracted to the fact that everything was sealed up. I have no intentions of ever racing, I just wanted something for parking lot fun.

Overall I'm happy or I should say will be happy once I get a front drive axles issue fixed. So far I'm having a real problem keeping my front drive axles in place. I only run on 2s so I don't think its being over powered, I suspect the dog bones are a little too short. everytime I turn the wheels and accelerate, either the left or right front dog bone axle will pop out. At that point, its pretty hard to control with only 2wd. nothing is broken and the drivecups are not damage.

I contacted HPI about the issue and I'm hoping to hear from them this week. They offer a driveshaft CVD universal set, Id be willing to buy those but I don't think they are available for purchase yet.

Hopefully HPI support is easy to work with. Ive never had to contact them before. I will update after I get the problem fixed. The car is fun to drive when its not broke.

I looked at the manual online and I saw that the dogbone is 45mm in length. I had a TCX and used my Tamiya CVDs on them without any issues.

It can be bought here:

http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=357

But double check because the diff cups might be different in size.

Goodluck!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:56 AM   #38
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
I looked at the manual online and I saw that the dogbone is 45mm in length. I had a TCX and used my Tamiya CVDs on them without any issues.

It can be bought here:

But double check because the diff cups might be different in size.

Goodluck!
Nice!! I'll look into those and see if I can get them to fit. I think being 46mm would be a better fit than the stock dog bones anyway. Plus the cvd style would be an upgrade as well.
Thanks for the link.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #39
Tech Elite

No Prob! Just make sure the cups are the same which I think they are.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:48 AM   #40
Tech Adept

I own a few TCX's as well so I can try to fit them into my sport 3 and confirm whether they fit or not. It might not be until later tonight though.
I also have a ton of Pro 4 CVD parts I could try, or even the CVD's out of my sprint 2.

Have you confirmed that the front knuckle bearings are the same size between the Sport 3 and the TCX?
Mr P!nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #41
Tech Elite

No I haven't but I'm almost sure that they're the same.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Well, the quick answer is no, none of them are a direct fit.

TCX top, Pro 4 bottom. I didn't realize they were identical, but they are.

Pin diameter on the TCX/Pro 4 shafts are 2.37mm.

Pin diameter on the stock Sport 3 dogbones are 1.97mm.

These Tamiya shafts have have the correct pin diameter, but they are only 44mm long. I'm pretty sure tamiya has a 46mm version, using the 46mm shaft is a possible solution, but I can't confirm it will work for certain as I don't have Tamiya 46mm's on hand.

And last we have the CVD's out of a Sprint 2, everything fits and the pin diameter is correct, unfortunately the shafts are way to short though.

If you have have TCX/Pro 4/Sprint 2 CVD's and tamiya 46mm shafts laying around, then you could probably make it work, otherwise I'd just wait for HPI to release the proper CVD's.

I'll keep digging through all my parts bins to see if I can find anything else to try.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr P!nk View Post
Well, the quick answer is no, none of them are a direct fit.

TCX top, Pro 4 bottom. I didn't realize they were identical, but they are.

Pin diameter on the TCX/Pro 4 shafts are 2.37mm.

Pin diameter on the stock Sport 3 dogbones are 1.97mm.

These Tamiya shafts have have the correct pin diameter, but they are only 44mm long. I'm pretty sure tamiya has a 46mm version, using the 46mm shaft is a possible solution, but I can't confirm it will work for certain as I don't have Tamiya 46mm's on hand.

And last we have the CVD's out of a Sprint 2, everything fits and the pin diameter is correct, unfortunately the shafts are way to short though.

If you have have TCX/Pro 4/Sprint 2 CVD's and tamiya 46mm shafts laying around, then you could probably make it work, otherwise I'd just wait for HPI to release the proper CVD's.

I'll keep digging through all my parts bins to see if I can find anything else to try.
So I was right Mr. Pink!

These are for Tamiya!

I would recommend that you buy it at TQ but is out of stock...

I bought several of those for my TA05 and still have them as reserve parts.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
So I was right Mr. Pink!

These are for Tamiya!

I would recommend that you buy it at TQ but is out of stock...

I bought several of those for my TA05 and still have them as reserve parts.
I suppose you were right, lol.

But now I'm confused, If they are for a Tamiya then how did you use them on your TCX? The TCX diff cups have a bigger slot, didn't you have a ton of play between the driveshaft pin and diff cup? Did you run blades on them?

I was just curious if a stock TCX CVD would work on the sport 3, which it doesn't.

Upon further digging, I checked my Tamiya FF03 and sure enough I had Tamiya 46mm shafts on it.

So I can confirm 46mm's do work, and you need the smaller pin diameter that is found on tamiya shafts. So I would say that link you posted for the Spec R 46mm tamiya shafts would work. I'll give you credit for that

Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Why yes it had blades on them.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...443-tcx-2.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...442-tcx-1.html

But for some reason, I was able to use Tamiya CVDs my TCX with Ball diffs but was not aware of the pin diameter. I was still in the learning stage at the time and oblivious to many things. To me, "if it fits, it ships!"

My guess was "by chance."

It's a good thing that you double checked the pin diameter and good thing I mentioned it to be double checked.

Now, I have more RC wisdom...

Go Mr. Pink! My new idol together with Sir eR1c. I love your workstations!