Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree12Likes

Old 10-23-2015, 04:10 AM   #361
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaksalot View Post
hey guys,
I've been lurking this thread for a while now. I wanted a new basher with a sealed drivetrain so I took the plunge and bought this car knowing the issues that you guys have been very vocal about.

So I'm not sure if I got a newer version but I haven't experienced any of the issues you guys have been experiencing. My dog-bones don't pop out and my car tracks straight (I've run about 7 packs through this car). I have however stripped 2 spur gears since my first run. The first stripped spur gear was the factory RTR gear mesh. I am only running 2S 60C lipos with the stock Flux brushless system. I hope this problem does not persist. Anyone else stripping spur gears?
1. Double check your mesh
2. Try another brand of spur gear

It's worth a try.

Regards!
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #362
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
My question wasn't answered. So what if it came with a different ESC? Does it actually perform worse, or are you just upset that it's not exactly what you expected? It's just a bunch of transistors with a microprocessor that governs their operation, if it does the job then who cares what the label says?
I had no issue other than the esc I got wasn't what was in the manual, so I didn't know it's limits or if it's lipo compatible, and how to set it up. But the guys here helped with a link I couldn't find on Hpi us site.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #363
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
1. Double check your mesh
2. Try another brand of spur gear

It's worth a try.

Regards!
Hey everyone,

This is my first car of any kind and it's been somewhat of a disappointment. While very fast and fun, it's been a pain just to keep it running. I experienced the "dog bone" front drive train issue within 15 minutes of first driving it. I was able to fix it with some O rings I bought from the hardware store but now the steering seems somewhat less sharp. Also it's very difficult to get it to drive straight no matter what I do. It always wants to pull to one side. I suppose I will have to upgrade the CV's and hope that fixes it.

I swear I haven't even made it through one 5000mAh battery and NOW the car is making a weird screeching sound that sounds like stripped gears (spur gear?) and the car runs at about 20% of the normal power. Being my first car I have no idea what it is but after reading through this forum I'm thinking it's the spur gear? How can I tell?

Thanks for any help.
RS4 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:27 AM   #364
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I hope that all these comments reach the HPI guys. All that's needed is for them to address these issues which to me doesn't take a lot of effort to fix.

You would think they would know how to run their business by now, i guess not.
bti_jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:12 AM   #365
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS4 Guy View Post
Hey everyone,

This is my first car of any kind and it's been somewhat of a disappointment. While very fast and fun, it's been a pain just to keep it running. I experienced the "dog bone" front drive train issue within 15 minutes of first driving it. I was able to fix it with some O rings I bought from the hardware store but now the steering seems somewhat less sharp. Also it's very difficult to get it to drive straight no matter what I do. It always wants to pull to one side. I suppose I will have to upgrade the CV's and hope that fixes it.

I swear I haven't even made it through one 5000mAh battery and NOW the car is making a weird screeching sound that sounds like stripped gears (spur gear?) and the car runs at about 20% of the normal power. Being my first car I have no idea what it is but after reading through this forum I'm thinking it's the spur gear? How can I tell?

Thanks for any help.
Looking at the spur gear would be a good start.

It could also be the motor. Did you get the brushed or brushless version? The brushed version uses a disposable motor, and disposable motors occasionally fail within a few minutes due to manufacturing defects.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #366
Tech Initiate

Quote:

It could also be the motor. Did you get the brushed or brushless version? The brushed version uses a disposable motor, and disposable motors occasionally fail within a few minutes due to manufacturing defects.
I bought the brushless version. I pooped open the gear box but don't see anything wrong. No chipped gears or anything. I'm not sure what to do other than call HPI and try to send it in for repair.

Last edited by RS4 Guy; 10-25-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:53 AM   #367
Tech Rookie

It would be nice to see a thread with one thats fully modified, with parts & links included in the thread
bti_jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:36 AM   #368
Tech Elite

Here's a link to the option parts.

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/parts/114350/opt
Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #369
Tech Initiate

Quote:

I called HPI. From what I explained they said it sounds like a bad motor. So they're sending me a new one instead of having me send the whole car in (considering I just bought it not even a week ago it's appreciated). However, he said they're currently out of stock so he's sending me another motor that he says is the exact same Castle Creations motor but with a different label. They're also sending me upgraded dog bones for the front end. Said it should be here in 5 days.

All in all they were actually very helpful and they sounded like they were well informed of the issues that have been posted on this forum. If you are having problems I'd say give them a call and see what they'll do to help you out.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #370
Tech Initiate

I tried ordering some hop ups but everything is delayed, depending which part it is, it seems. I ordered the cvds. If you check HPI s site they have the longer 46mm dog bones listed now.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #371
Tech Elite

Quote:
I called HPI. From what I explained they said it sounds like a bad motor. So they're sending me a new one instead of having me send the whole car in (considering I just bought it not even a week ago it's appreciated). However, he said they're currently out of stock so he's sending me another motor that he says is the exact same Castle Creations motor but with a different label. They're also sending me upgraded dog bones for the front end. Said it should be here in 5 days.

All in all they were actually very helpful and they sounded like they were well informed of the issues that have been posted on this forum. If you are having problems I'd say give them a call and see what they'll do to help you out.
That is a good sign. HPI may be responding positively to customer's feedback. As for the upgrades, I would give it a bit more time for the car to "gel" in the market. I won't be surprised if there will be third parties who will come out with upgrade parts for the Sport 3 later on.

My basis for that is the sprint 2. 3Racing, Yeah Racing, and even Exotek came out with upgrade parts for the car.

Here are examples:

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...asp?p_id=10052

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=8754

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...asp?p_id=10054

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...asp?p_id=10385

If the Sprint 2 and Sport 3 have the same arms, then it would be nice to have the arms on the sport 3.

I hope that Exotek comes out with a CF chassis in the future.

On a personal note, I think that the Savox servo would look good on the Sport 3. It will match the color scheme. Imagine it installed on the chassis with the pic I attached.

Regards!
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 Sport 3-hpi-1-.jpg  

Last edited by SagadSetup; 10-26-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added pic
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #372
Tech Initiate

Quote:
That is a good sign. HPI may be responding positively to customer's feedback. As for the upgrades, I would give it a bit more time for the car to "gel" in the market. I won't be surprised if there will be third parties who will come out with upgrade parts for the Sport 3 later on.

My basis for that is the sprint 2. 3Racing, Yeah Racing, and even Exotek came out with upgrade parts for the car.

If the Sprint 2 and Sport 3 have the same arms, then it would be nice to have the arms on the sport 3.

I hope that Exotek comes out with a CF chassis in the future.

On a personal note, I think that the Savox servo would look good on the Sport 3. It will match the color scheme. Imagine it installed on the chassis with the pic I attached.

Regards!
Oh man that orange aluminum would look really sexy on the Sport 3. I hope to see those parts soon.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #373
Tech Elite

Quote:
Oh man that orange aluminum would look really sexy on the Sport 3. I hope to see those parts soon.
I'm crossing my fingers that they do come out with nice hop-ups!

Chances are, they will. That's only my gut feel.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #374
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=SagadSetup;14239357]That is a good sign. HPI may be responding positively to customer's feedback. As for the upgrades, I would give it a bit more time for the car to "gel" in the market. I won't be surprised if there will be third parties who will come out with upgrade parts for the Sport 3 later on.

With the volume of problems, Hpi didn't really have any choice but to assist owners. Time will tell if they actually address the issues or continue selling it with the known problems. Who knows how many are already boxed and ready to ship.
As for the aftermarket supporting it. I just don't know. I've been disappointed by that part of hobby over past few years. Any of the tire companies could have jumped 3 years with tires for the WR8 when Hpi was on a 9 month back order. And no company has yet to offer tires for it now, 3years later. And tires again are in limited suppy.
I'm not saying that nobody will makes stuff for the Sport3. But by time they do, car could be a dead model.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #375
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone swapped out their ESC and motor to do speed runs with their RS4 Sport 3 Flux? Thinking of going with the Hobbywing 150A ESC and not sure of motor. Wanting to be able to use 6s battery. Can anyone give advice on ESC and motor selection for speed runs? Thanks! BB
BrandonB75 is offline   Reply With Quote