R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #331
Tech Adept
 
Cudacharger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 198
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normajean View Post
Nothing yet, I'm on the email list for when the parts do come available. I'm going to get the spool, cvds, and the aluminum shock set, can't wait!
Me too keep us posted when they become available!
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #332
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Alternatives

Guys

If Spec R CVDs are not available, try these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ste...item51d412be00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-TA05-...item2ee6e5ad2d

They will fit.
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #333
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,495
Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default

Got my 3Racing TA05-26 (46mm) front and rear cvds installed! Just in the nicked time too one dog bone already fell out when I was bench testing.

I need adjustable camber, steering links, and toe links. Does anyone know if the Sprint 2 cars have the same lengths?

The HPI plastic links on this car is just way too flexy!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #334
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Got my GPM cvds installed! Just in the nicked time too one dog bone already fell out when I was bench testing functionality.

I need adjustable camber, steering links, and toe links. Does anyone know if the Sprint 2 cars have the same lengths?

The HPI plastic links on this car is just way too flexy!
Most of the turnbuckles needed are at tqrcracing.com

I just don't know what the lengths are.
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #335
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,495
Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default

Quick question: there was an orange o ring on the front and rear diff output side I had to remove in order to get the 3Racing cvds to fit. Is it okay to run the car like that without the orange o ring inside the differential output cup?

The cvds I bought from tqracing TA05-26 (46mm) front and rear.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #336
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Yes it's alright. Since you are on CVDs, O-rings aren't needed anymore.

Regards!
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #337
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Be interested to read what you the think of the TC4. Especially coming from the RS4 Flux. Came close to giving up on mine, but not yet.
I finally got the TC4 together, which took a lot longer than I expected not because it's a difficult build, but because I kept running into small problems resulting in lots of $5 Amazon orders. This isn't a TC4 thread so I don't want to hijack it too badly, but since I only purchased the TC4 because I was unhappy with the Sport 3 Flux, perhaps the info here will be helpful for anyone else in the same situation or who may be reading this considering buying either car.

First off, I'd have preferred if the TC4 came as a kit. I think the quality of the product is quite good, but the quality of the assembly was not. My chassis was missing a few screws and one shock was leaking, plus there was a TON of flashing on many of the parts. I replaced the screws, refilled the shocks, and cleaned up whatever flashing I could, but the end result would have been better if I had built the whole thing myself.

Assembly aside, there's a lot to like about the TC4 chassis. Front and rear CVDs and turnbuckles all around are standard. Considering many of us in this thread found front CVDs and (some) adjustable linkages "must haves" on the RS4, this is a big plus. The steering layout is FAR better with much less slop than the RS4.

The RS4 has the advantage of a sealed drivetrain, plus it's waterproof if that matters to you. It is nice to not have an exposed driveshaft since it makes mounting the electronics a bit easier as you don't have to worry about wires chaffing on anything. I used the motor, ESC, and radio from the Sport 3 Flux, with a Savox servo, and it was a tight fit. As an aside, I had to Dremel the RS4 motor mount off of the motor; I'm not sure if it was installed too tight or the screws were already stripped, but it was not budging at all.

The TC4 is definitely more adjustable out of the box, and includes some advanced adjustments that aren't available on the RS4 at all. They probably don't matter for casual use but they're available if needed. Points do go to the RS4 though for having threaded shocks.

HPI provides a full manual with the RS4, which is a step up from a couple sheets of paper and a PDF download for the TC4.

The TC4 comes with a front spool as opposed to the RS4's gear diffs. That's a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. I suspect I'll switch to a diff since I'm not going for high speed and I'm operating in a tight space, but we'll see.

I've only been able to run the car for a few minutes in my driveway, in the dark, so I can't comment much on performance other than to confirm the car drives straight and true. There is none of the wandering inherent in my Sport 3 even considering the (new) HPI front wheels I'm using seem slightly warped. The steering was my biggest gripe with the RS4 and one I couldn't live with, so I'm already happier with the TC4.

I'll update this once I get some actual running in with the car, but as of right now I think the TC4 has two major advantages: it steers true, and it is far more upgradable. There are tons of TC4 parts out there, whether you want to add features like anti-roll bars or upgrade certain items to aluminum or carbon fiber. I don't see that level of support ever happening for the Sport 3.

I've attached a few pictures. The body is the same 200mm HPI Porsche 911 (997) body I had on the RS4, with HPI wheels, 6mm offset in the rear and 0mm in the front. I managed to modify the front TC4 body mount and graft on the rear mount from the Sport 3 so I didn't have to drill new holes in the body.

Overall I'm quite pleased and looking forward to getting to use it a bit.

Endaar
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 Sport 3-wp_20151013_001.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-wp_20151013_003.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-wp_20151013_004.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-wp_20151013_007.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-wp_20151013_008.jpg  

Endaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #338
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
I finally got the TC4 together, which took a lot longer than I expected not because it's a difficult build, but because I kept running into small problems resulting in lots of $5 Amazon orders. This isn't a TC4 thread so I don't want to hijack it too badly, but since I only purchased the TC4 because I was unhappy with the Sport 3 Flux, perhaps the info here will be helpful for anyone else in the same situation or who may be reading this considering buying either car.

First off, I'd have preferred if the TC4 came as a kit. I think the quality of the product is quite good, but the quality of the assembly was not. My chassis was missing a few screws and one shock was leaking, plus there was a TON of flashing on many of the parts. I replaced the screws, refilled the shocks, and cleaned up whatever flashing I could, but the end result would have been better if I had built the whole thing myself.

Assembly aside, there's a lot to like about the TC4 chassis. Front and rear CVDs and turnbuckles all around are standard. Considering many of us in this thread found front CVDs and (some) adjustable linkages "must haves" on the RS4, this is a big plus. The steering layout is FAR better with much less slop than the RS4.

The RS4 has the advantage of a sealed drivetrain, plus it's waterproof if that matters to you. It is nice to not have an exposed driveshaft since it makes mounting the electronics a bit easier as you don't have to worry about wires chaffing on anything. I used the motor, ESC, and radio from the Sport 3 Flux, with a Savox servo, and it was a tight fit. As an aside, I had to Dremel the RS4 motor mount off of the motor; I'm not sure if it was installed too tight or the screws were already stripped, but it was not budging at all.

The TC4 is definitely more adjustable out of the box, and includes some advanced adjustments that aren't available on the RS4 at all. They probably don't matter for casual use but they're available if needed. Points do go to the RS4 though for having threaded shocks.

HPI provides a full manual with the RS4, which is a step up from a couple sheets of paper and a PDF download for the TC4.

The TC4 comes with a front spool as opposed to the RS4's gear diffs. That's a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. I suspect I'll switch to a diff since I'm not going for high speed and I'm operating in a tight space, but we'll see.

I've only been able to run the car for a few minutes in my driveway, in the dark, so I can't comment much on performance other than to confirm the car drives straight and true. There is none of the wandering inherent in my Sport 3 even considering the (new) HPI front wheels I'm using seem slightly warped. The steering was my biggest gripe with the RS4 and one I couldn't live with, so I'm already happier with the TC4.

I'll update this once I get some actual running in with the car, but as of right now I think the TC4 has two major advantages: it steers true, and it is far more upgradable. There are tons of TC4 parts out there, whether you want to add features like anti-roll bars or upgrade certain items to aluminum or carbon fiber. I don't see that level of support ever happening for the Sport 3.

I've attached a few pictures. The body is the same 200mm HPI Porsche 911 (997) body I had on the RS4, with HPI wheels, 6mm offset in the rear and 0mm in the front. I managed to modify the front TC4 body mount and graft on the rear mount from the Sport 3 so I didn't have to drill new holes in the body.

Overall I'm quite pleased and looking forward to getting to use it a bit.

Endaar
I don't consider your post as "hi-jacking" at all.

Spool is always good as opposed to a loose front diff. But personally, I prefer a semi-locked diff than the spool. I think that a bit of diff action in corners is still good because it has lesser strain on the drivetrain.

If you are giving up on the Sport 3, why not transfer the dampers over to the TC4? In that way you can adjust your ride height and preloads in small increments.

Very smart thing to do in grafting the body posts so that you don't need to drill new holes.

As for me, I will sit and wait for HPI to address the issues that come with the Sport 3. Hopefully they come out with the hop-ups in the near future as well.

I have been an HPI fan and still believe that once all the issues on this chassis are fixed, it will be a fun car to own and drive.

Regards
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #339
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
If you are giving up on the Sport 3, why not transfer the dampers over to the TC4? In that way you can adjust your ride height and preloads in small increments.
Good point, I may do that.

Meanwhile, I must have some steering-related curse. First actual run with the car and I broke the steering assembly and drag link, plus lost a ball end. At least the body was off at the time so it's still new.

Aluminum replacements are on their way from Hong Kong, so it'll be a bit before I can use the car again.

Endaar
Endaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #340
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
Good point, I may do that.

Meanwhile, I must have some steering-related curse. First actual run with the car and I broke the steering assembly and drag link, plus lost a ball end. At least the body was off at the time so it's still new.

Aluminum replacements are on their way from Hong Kong, so it'll be a bit before I can use the car again.

Endaar
Parts will be with you in less than two weeks time i guess.

Where did you order your parts from? Do you have a link?
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #341
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
Parts will be with you in less than two weeks time i guess.

Where did you order your parts from? Do you have a link?
EBay...couldn't find this particular part elsewhere.

Link
Endaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #342
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
EBay...couldn't find this particular part elsewhere.

Link
Oh I thought you were referring to the Sport 3 steering.

That's a nice upgrade for that car I thought.

Well good luck with the TC4!
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:36 AM   #343
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: east bay, ca
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I contacted HPI today about the dog bone issue, they said they will send me a pair of longer dog bone.
I just don't understand why they use this short one on the car in the first place.
clfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:35 AM   #344
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 37
Default

Shouldn't most RC parts like sway bars and turn buckles, camber links and shocks be interchangeable with any car, if they're adjustable? I have a sprint2/rs4 set of adjustable turnbuckles, they seem thin and the plastic is weak,probably old, I cruised around the house and bumped a wall and the turnbuckle pushed into the plastic ballcup ruining it. Now I need new ball cups.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:46 AM   #345
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clfile View Post
I contacted HPI today about the dog bone issue, they said they will send me a pair of longer dog bone.
I just don't understand why they use this short one on the car in the first place.
As with any car kit, the Sport 3 is no exemption. How I wish that you can buy a kit that you don't need to do that much to make it work properly.

But then again, that's the fun part of it.

It's how you built/upgraded the car that will make a difference.
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:56 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net