R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree8Likes

Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #196
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
No kit. RTR only. And I don't expect a kit. Other then the Baja, the Savage XS SS was last kit. And it did not sell.
Give it time. I'm sure they will be roller hitting eBay in the not too distant future. Most of what are curtly out were pre ordered.
bummer, ...I find building kits enjoyable and a great way to learn about the car (if your unfamiliar w/ the particular model).

Great idea about getting a used roller off the boards or ebay. I'd probably take the entire thing apart and rebuild
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #197
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisSk8rGuy View Post
I have been having the same issue with the wandering. I tried everything I could to figure it out, but I can't source it either. I wanted to upgrade my servo to see if that was it as well. I was looking into the Savox SC-1257TG, does anyone know if this would be a good one to go with?

Other than that, I've been having a ton of fun with mine.
In most cases wandering steering can be fixed by tightening the servo saver. If it's too loose the saver cannot stay centered. That's why most racers do not use servo savers.

Also check that the servo is not moving and that all the suspension pivot points are properly tightened.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #198
Tech Initiate

Put in a Savox SA-1258TG servo and a regular 25t servo arm. Fixed ALL wandering and it goes straight as a bullet with a 7.4v 30c LiPo. Set steering on Integy set up system. Put regular HPI Porsche 911 body on and definitely improved handling. I too am using the X-pattern tires.
blitteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #199
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitteer View Post
Put in a Savox SA-1258TG servo and a regular 25t servo arm. Fixed ALL wandering and it goes straight as a bullet with a 7.4v 30c LiPo. Set steering on Integy set up system. Put regular HPI Porsche 911 body on and definitely improved handling. I too am using the X-pattern tires.
Do you have pics to share of your current setup?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #200
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Guess we think alike, hehe...I've got the standard 911 Turbo body on order myself. Glad to hear the new servo solved the wandering; I have a HPI SF-50 coming along with some turnbuckles too. I'll post pics once everything is together.

Endaar
Endaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #201
Tech Rookie

The HPI SF 50 Servo (fits perfect!) Can be found in the 30 dollar range, It is 250 oz torque and direct swap,

The SpecR 46mm swing shafts solved all of the dog bone problems and then some, I don't see how the dogbones can function at all as designed.

The body was perfect after I dremeled out the wheel arches to make room with the drum including the rear diffuser.

The slicks balloon under high speed and suck the body in, Once this is resolved the body is a great runner with great realism and the down force from the wing is massive.

Do not give up the set up, the slicks are super sticky with the fatter tires in the back. Clean them with diluted Simple Green, and they will stick like glue. I moved up to the 36 tooth pinion, other than that, using my Spektrum rx and perfectly happy.

Getting there was another issue. I experienced all the dog bones, stripped spur, body issues, etc etc. It was well worth the effort.
Bondville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #202
Tech Initiate

Quote:
The HPI SF 50 Servo (fits perfect!)
Just installed the SF50-WP servo today, and it is definitely not a direct replacement. I'm guessing you didn't go with the WP version but the case itself is about 1.5mm wider than the stock servo, and there's also a small <1mm protrusion where the wire exits the case. Fixing for latter required Dremeling the inside of the case where the servo mounts, and the former required cutting out some of the mounting hole on the servo itself so the screw would thread. Once that's done the servo does fit however.

The steering is definitely a LOT better but I'm still waiting for my turnbuckles to get the front toe-in and camber adjusted the way I want them. I suspect that will fix the problem entirely.

Question though for everyone...I find the car loses drive quite a lot; the steering continues to work so I'm guessing the fail-safe is kicking in, but I can't imagine why. I'm in a normal residential area so I wouldn't expect any more interference than elsewhere, and both my old AM and FM radios work perfectly. (Yes, I realize they're different frequencies.)

Could I have the failsafe calibrated wrong? Also I'm using NiMh batteries right now if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Endaar
Old 08-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #203
Tech Elite

My guess is it could be your batteries. If they are old it may not be working to its full capacity.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #204
Tech Initiate

I agree about the servo!!!! That's why I went with the Savox one. I also am running HPI vintage wheels and tires. They fit the 190mm body and look a lot better. I give up on posting pics! Got them smaller and tried via instructions on forum to post and all I got was invalid attachment.

Last edited by blitteer; 08-30-2015 at 07:04 PM.
blitteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #205
Tech Elite

Quote:
I agree about the servo!!!! That's why I went with the Savox one. I also am running HPI vintage wheels and tires. They fit the 190mm body and look a lot better. I am trying to get pics uploaded but file size too large. Will work on re-sizing them.
Please do post your pics. I am curious to see your rides...
Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 AM   #206
Tech Rookie

Been tinkering on my Sport 3 a little, not even touched steering or suspension yet...but that's coming... I love the M3 body, but have working to make this car a decent drag car(the current fastest and 2nd fastest at our local events is a Sprint 2 with a Traxxas VXL...3rd in consistent times is my Mini 8ight) and the square body just didn't work out well..nor did the stock tires(which aren't bad and surprisingly wear well....). Anyway..on to pics... Here you can see where the body pushes back and rubs the front wheel at speed...

Mounted up some Jaco Nitro foams(it's all the local stores have) but haven't got to test them..need a new ESC, the other one went back to it's original home..lol

Here's the width and fitment of the rear wheels, all the clearances for them are TIIIIIGHT.... also, anyone wanna guess the new body? Ignore the plate sticker, it's just one i had laying around, lol.
TheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 AM   #207
Tech Elite

Nice pics.

Maybe you can address the rubbing part of the body by reinforcing it. When it picks up speed it might be clapping against your tires.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #208
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
Nice pics.

Maybe you can address the rubbing part of the body by reinforcing it. When it picks up speed it might be clapping against your tires.

That's what it was doing..I didn't feel like doing all that yet, so I swapped bodies for something more aerodynamic.

This has been sitting at the back room of the local hobbytown for 4 months, they let me have it, It's a Vaterra body, it almost fits perfectly, but I had to dremel the body holes a bit larger in the back and good bit in the front. I know the bodyposts are WAY too long..but waiting on another set before I cut them off, since I still like to use the BMW body often(just not when trying for speed runs, lol)
TheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #209
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
Question though for everyone...I find the car loses drive quite a lot; the steering continues to work so I'm guessing the fail-safe is kicking in, but I can't imagine why. I'm in a normal residential area so I wouldn't expect any more interference than elsewhere, and both my old AM and FM radios work perfectly. (Yes, I realize they're different frequencies.)

Could I have the failsafe calibrated wrong? Also I'm using NiMh batteries right now if that makes a difference.
Turning off the low-voltage protection on the ESC seems to have fixed this.

Anyone know if there is a workable aluminum replacement for the front upright set? (113708)

Endaar
Old 09-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #210
Tech Initiate

Any suggestions on tire setup? If I use the Porsche body I need to run the wider 34mm in the rear. I need new tires already because the foam is exposed.

SpecR 46mm swing shafts are AMAZING!!! Fixed my issue

Still have stock servo... Is it worth the upgrade to a savox?

Lastly, lol I still cant find the adjustable turn buckles you guys are using. Thanks!
CarlosRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote