Search
Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
General question for Sport 3 owners.

How is the turning radius and the steering of the car?

Thanks!
I can only compare it to an RS4 Pro 3 Nitro, and I'd say the Flux and the Nitro handle pretty similarly on the same tires. I personally do not like the stock oversize slicks on the Flux; standard size HPI X-pattern tires seem to work better on asphalt, whether it's clean and smooth (my driveway) or dusty/sandy and not quite as smooth, i.e. the street.

I do find the car tends to wander a bit. The CVDs helped a little and the standard tires helped a bit more, but I think the car is lacking some toe-in which is why I'll soon be replacing the steering linkage with adjustable turnbuckles. (Thanks blitteer for the Tamiya suggestion, though I had already ordered a set of Lunsford tie-rods before seeing it. I'll post back once they're here and let everyone know how they work.)

As for ride height; yes it's adjustable. The difficulty comes in that the design of the stock Porsche body assumes there will be some extra ground clearance from the larger tires. Even with the stock tires the rear diffuser is quite close to the ground and I don't see how one could gain enough clearance between it and the ground to run the car on the street, at least without raising the body itself to the point of looking silly.

I'm having fun with the car, but there are definitely some issues if it's going to be used on the street.

Endaar
Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
Ride height is adjustable yes?
I've switched to standard sized tires. 5mm narrow the stock fronts. About 10mm narrow in rear. Diameter is much smaller.
I'm still messing with it.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Is there good adjustable turnbuckles that I can order as mentioned above? Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarlosRS4
Is there good adjustable turnbuckles that I can order as mentioned above? Thanks
Here:

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1763

You'll need three sets I think. Not sure of the length of the steering turnbuckles.

Goodluck!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

You Can Try Mine....
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Sport 3-remote_control_car_concept_design_prototype_suspension_02.png  
Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone running the flux? curious on how that thing handles.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

do they sell this in kit form? ...i have an aversion to RTR's.
This kind of reminds me of the old Cup Racer ...but in 1/10th scale.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by eR1c
do they sell this in kit form? ...i have an aversion to RTR's.
This kind of reminds me of the old Cup Racer ...but in 1/10th scale.
No kit. RTR only. And I don't expect a kit. Other then the Baja, the Savage XS SS was last kit. And it did not sell.
Give it time. I'm sure they will be roller hitting eBay in the not too distant future. Most of what are curtly out were pre ordered.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by titansavage
There seem to be a bunch of posters in this thread who are, me included. (Keep in mind the Porsche only comes as the Flux, and vice-versa.)

I have no other brushless experience to compare it to, nor do I have a brushed TC of any type, but the "powertrain" certainly seems solid. The tires and Porsche body are another story; tire traction is not good and the Porsche body is probably a lot better on the track than it is for casual use.

Endaar
Old 08-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by titansavage
You are on page 13. I think general opinion is disappointment. Nearly every Flux version has had an issue with a front dog bone axle coming out. A solution has been found. But it should not have been necessary in first place.
Personally I'm let down. Seems to have been put together based on looks, not function. The body may look great, but it's heavy. Tail heavy to be exact. And it's weight effects handling.
The oversized, soft slick tires look good. But don't really work well on most surfaces. This comes from the heavy body. It requires the shocks to be very stiff to keep body from hitting surface. Stiff shocks cause car to bounce, loosing tracrion.
So after 31 runs I'm starting over with it. Porsche body is gone, standard 1/10 TC Sweep tires are being run. And I'm seeing improvement. Though I'm running into an issue with ride height.

Sorry for double post. I don't know how to put 2 quotes in a single post.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Endaar
[snip]standard size HPI X-pattern tires seem to work better on asphalt[snip]

I do find the car tends to wander a bit.[snip]

As for ride height; yes it's adjustable.[snip]
Endaar
Quoting myself to add a bit more info...

Having gotten some more running time with the car I definitely prefer it on the X-pattern tires. Traction is far better for casual use than with the slicks.

I'm still trying to figure out the wandering. The stock linkage on my RS4 Pro3 Nitro has a slight toe-in; on the Flux there's either zero toe-in or possibly a little toe-out. But beyond that I can't get the car to consistently track straight; I'll trim it to straight and a few turns later it will be pulling to one side again. I'm not sure if that's an issue with the stock servo being too weak to re-center properly, or if my particular servo is itself not working 100%. In either event I've ordered an SF-50 to upgrade the SF-10; we'll see how that goes.

As for ride height; there is certainly clearance between the suspension arms and chassis, however, out of the box the shocks are at the very end of their travel so you can't raise the ride-height without repositioning them.

Hope this helps.

Endaar
Old 08-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Yes it could be the servo.

Did you want to upgrade your shocks? I'm sure there are reasonably priced shocks out there.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Endaar
Quoting myself to add a bit more info...

Having gotten some more running time with the car I definitely prefer it on the X-pattern tires. Traction is far better for casual use than with the slicks.

I'm still trying to figure out the wandering. The stock linkage on my RS4 Pro3 Nitro has a slight toe-in; on the Flux there's either zero toe-in or possibly a little toe-out. But beyond that I can't get the car to consistently track straight; I'll trim it to straight and a few turns later it will be pulling to one side again. I'm not sure if that's an issue with the stock servo being too weak to re-center properly, or if my particular servo is itself not working 100%. In either event I've ordered an SF-50 to upgrade the SF-10; we'll see how that goes.

As for ride height; there is certainly clearance between the suspension arms and chassis, however, out of the box the shocks are at the very end of their travel so you can't raise the ride-height without repositioning them.

Hope this helps.

Endaar
I have been having the same issue with the wandering. I tried everything I could to figure it out, but I can't source it either. I wanted to upgrade my servo to see if that was it as well. I was looking into the Savox SC-1257TG, does anyone know if this would be a good one to go with?

Other than that, I've been having a ton of fun with mine.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OsirisSk8rGuy
I have been having the same issue with the wandering. I tried everything I could to figure it out, but I can't source it either. I wanted to upgrade my servo to see if that was it as well. I was looking into the Savox SC-1257TG, does anyone know if this would be a good one to go with?

Other than that, I've been having a ton of fun with mine.
To me, the 1257TG is ok. I had no issues with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.