R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree12Likes

Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #136
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
Thanks to Mr P!nk for confirming the fit.
+1
Cudacharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #137
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So I tested out the axles with a couple of 3s run. Work great. No more steering binding up, the dog bone was moving around all more then I realized before it came out.
Car was driving better with body off, right up till the familiar sound of a stripped spur gear rang out. Stock one is on back order,shocking, but Tower had the 75t gear. Ordered a couple just in case.
With Tower less then 100 miles south of me hopefully I'll get the by weekend. It's time to try out better tires.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:24 AM   #138
Tech Rookie

For a spur gear I found one from Robinson racing products. RRP-1866 66 tooth 48 pitch. Working so far.
Mr Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #139
Tech Initiate

Default Disappointed

My RS4 arrived yesterday, and having had some time to play with it, I'm pretty disappointed.

First off...I've built kits before, and I actually like doing so, but for a RTR there was a lot of work necessary to get it going. Calibrate the ESC. Check the failsafe, which of course wasn't working. Then reverse wouldn't work. I initially didn't realize the ESC was programmable, but once I did, I found the ESC was already in the proper mode; regardless I still had no reverse. I eventually got it to work by switching modes a few times. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Others have commented on the body not being trimmed enough; same here, and it's annoying as the body looks great and I hate to take a scissor to it just to be able to run the car.

Then we have the front dogbone situation, which is unacceptable. Even in light driving they can pop out. My car already had O-rings installed on the diff side; I added to the wheel side, which helped, but I still had a dogbone come out after that. How they released this car like this I don't know.

I also find the steering servo is too weak though perhaps the eventual CVD upgrade will help that.

I have a Nitro RS4 RTR from a few years back (SS+ I think) and the quality was substantially better. I don't think that car was much more expensive either.

The impression I get looking at the (not yet) available option parts is the car was designed with weaknesses that are going to virtually necessitate upgrades. That's disappointing.

All that said...I do have a question for other owners...if you roll the car forwards or backwards with all four wheels on the ground, is the center diff a bit "notchy?" Not sure how else to describe it...turning a front or rear wheel turns the opposite wheel and is very smooth as expected. Forcing the center diff to move (by rolling the car, spinning both rear wheels, etc) causes a noticeable resistance. It's not binding per se, but it does seem strange. Any thoughts?

Endaar
Endaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #140
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
My RS4 arrived yesterday, and having had some time to play with it, I'm pretty disappointed.

First off...I've built kits before, and I actually like doing so, but for a RTR there was a lot of work necessary to get it going. Calibrate the ESC. Check the failsafe, which of course wasn't working. Then reverse wouldn't work. I initially didn't realize the ESC was programmable, but once I did, I found the ESC was already in the proper mode; regardless I still had no reverse. I eventually got it to work by switching modes a few times. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Others have commented on the body not being trimmed enough; same here, and it's annoying as the body looks great and I hate to take a scissor to it just to be able to run the car.

Then we have the front dogbone situation, which is unacceptable. Even in light driving they can pop out. My car already had O-rings installed on the diff side; I added to the wheel side, which helped, but I still had a dogbone come out after that. How they released this car like this I don't know.

I also find the steering servo is too weak though perhaps the eventual CVD upgrade will help that.

I have a Nitro RS4 RTR from a few years back (SS+ I think) and the quality was substantially better. I don't think that car was much more expensive either.

The impression I get looking at the (not yet) available option parts is the car was designed with weaknesses that are going to virtually necessitate upgrades. That's disappointing.

All that said...I do have a question for other owners...if you roll the car forwards or backwards with all four wheels on the ground, is the center diff a bit "notchy?" Not sure how else to describe it...turning a front or rear wheel turns the opposite wheel and is very smooth as expected. Forcing the center diff to move (by rolling the car, spinning both rear wheels, etc) causes a noticeable resistance. It's not binding per se, but it does seem strange. Any thoughts?

Endaar
Putting O-rings on the wheel side of the dog bone will not help the bone falling out, it will make it worse.

Also, this car doesn't have a center diff, the "notchy" feeling you are experiencing is your motor, it's normal.

I see a lot of people bashing this car, and I'm starting to wonder if they are looking at the same car as myself.
The fit and finish I think is excellent, all the plastics are good. I consider this car more of an entry to mid level car, and I may be wrong but not very many entry level cars offer the options that this one has stock.
You get threaded oil filled shocks, not "friction" dampers. You get a full set of rubber sealed bearings, not bushings. All hex head hardware, not Phillips head. And bullet proof all metal diffs, not plastic. Steel driveshaft, not plastic.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like its a great car for the price. It's only a slightly higher price because its a RTR. I imagine if they did a kit without electronics and a clear un-cut body the price could be well under $200.

You could hop-up a TT-01 with all those options listed and not only would you have spent a ton more, but I still think the overall quality is better on the HPI.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all RC cars (and yes I do own a TT-01 as well) but I feel that most people are ignoring the long list of positives on this car just because of a dogbone issue.
Mr P!nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #141
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr P!nk View Post
Putting O-rings on the wheel side of the dog bone will not help the bone falling out, it will make it worse.

Also, this car doesn't have a center diff, the "notchy" feeling you are experiencing is your motor, it's normal.

I see a lot of people bashing this car, and I'm starting to wonder if they are looking at the same car as myself.
The fit and finish I think is excellent, all the plastics are good. I consider this car more of an entry to mid level car, and I may be wrong but not very many entry level cars offer the options that this one has stock.
You get threaded oil filled shocks, not "friction" dampers. You get a full set of rubber sealed bearings, not bushings. All hex head hardware, not Phillips head. And bullet proof all metal diffs, not plastic. Steel driveshaft, not plastic.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like its a great car for the price. It's only a slightly higher price because its a RTR. I imagine if they did a kit without electronics and a clear un-cut body the price could be well under $200.

You could hop-up a TT-01 with all those options listed and not only would you have spent a ton more, but I still think the overall quality is better on the HPI.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all RC cars (and yes I do own a TT-01 as well) but I feel that most people are ignoring the long list of positives on this car just because of a dogbone issue.
+1 I had a TT02. But I prefer the specs of the Sport 3 better.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:02 PM   #142
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
+1 I had a TT02. But I prefer the specs of the Sport 3 better.
+2 I have a TT-01 and 02. The Sport 3 is a better value. Wished HPI would give us a kit version with different body choices.... even though I love the BMW
slowsrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #143
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr P!nk View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I was obviously confused about the center diff; I just realized I was mixing this car up with something else I was considering at the same time. Glad to know nothing is wrong.

You make a fair point...there are many positive things about the car, and even with its problems it still seems like a decent value. But the dogbone issue is not a minor one. At least it's fixable with a set of CVDs, but I stand by my point that an upgrade should not be necessary out of the box for the car to operate as expected.

Endaar
Endaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #144
Tech Regular

Default Dog bone options.

Greetings. I was curious as to a possible optional dog bone (50 mm, pin center-to-pin center) ; would this possibly fit with out binding(minus the o-rings)? Pages 5-8 of this thread had discussions of replacements but if any one can clarify for me , i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #145
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo View Post
Greetings. I was curious as to a possible optional dog bone (50 mm, pin center-to-pin center) ; would this possibly fit with out binding(minus the o-rings)? Pages 5-8 of this thread had discussions of replacements but if any one can clarify for me , i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
These would be the axles you need. Ebay Sells them too, just search for the part number.
http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=357

Part# SPR012-TM46B

They fit perfectly for the front and rear and solve the axle issue. I had to remove my o-rings though.
racinmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #146
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo View Post
50mm might be too long, but unless someone has a 50mm long dogbone laying around to try I'm not sure we could give you a definitive answer.
Did you have a specific dogbone in mind? Hpi part #, or some other brand?
If you have one laying around then I would say give it a shot, but if you're just going to be buying a longer one anyways then I would agree with Racinmason and just buy the spec-R CVD's for a few dollars more, CVD's are far superior anyways.
If you're on a budget then you can always leave the rear with dogbones and just run a pair of CVD's in the front.

Last edited by Mr P!nk; 08-02-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Mr P!nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #147
Tech Adept

Thinking about the 50mm got me curious, so I decided to dig through my parts and see what I had.
Turns out I do have some 50mm long dogbones laying around. Not sure what car they belong to but I think it might be a dogbone from an old HPI RS4 rally.

Now for the not-so-good news, the answer to your question is no, 50mm are way too long for this car.

Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest, but with the dogbone completely bottomed out in the diff cup and the axle cup I'm still quite a ways away from being able to get my top link back in.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #148
Tech Regular

Thanks Mr P!nk, I'd accumulated parts from my nitro car-a Kyosho/Trinity on road car and forgotten the two pairs of 50mm dog bones. The HPI RS4 Sport 3 car has been callin' my name at my lhs and all the while, i've been keepin' up with this thread-i'm probably gonna get it at the end of summer. Let it be known TQ has been out of stock of the recomended CVDs for the past week-and-a-half.Thanks again for checkin' for me.-Greg
Old 08-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #149
Tech Initiate

Well, after installing the new washers and axle cups just in time for the races Saturday, the dog bones came out again! HPI said I should have 8 total o-rings on the front end. Dog bones are too SHORT from factory to top it off my spur gear got all chewed up from what.... I have no clue.

I called HPI Monday morning and expressed my concerns with a brand new $320 plus rtr car and was unhappy. If these issues did not exist, I absolutley would LOVE this car. Looks pretty freaking sweet and feels SOLID to me. I love working on my vehicles so installing these parts are rather fun BUT it would be nice to have a true RTR vehicle...
HPI customer service is sending me a 72t spur gear and 46mm dog bones. HPI customer service is PHENOMENAL I just wish there quality control was the same.

FYI this forum ROCKS!!!!
CarlosRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #150
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosRS4 View Post
Well, after installing the new washers and axle cups just in time for the races Saturday, the dog bones came out again! HPI said I should have 8 total o-rings on the front end. Dog bones are too SHORT from factory to top it off my spur gear got all chewed up from what.... I have no clue.

I called HPI Monday morning and expressed my concerns with a brand new $320 plus rtr car and was unhappy. If these issues did not exist, I absolutley would LOVE this car. Looks pretty freaking sweet and feels SOLID to me. I love working on my vehicles so installing these parts are rather fun BUT it would be nice to have a true RTR vehicle...
HPI customer service is sending me a 72t spur gear and 46mm dog bones. HPI customer service is PHENOMENAL I just wish there quality control was the same.

FYI this forum ROCKS!!!!
We should thank all the guys who posted their experiences with the Sport 3 specially Mr. P!nk for doing R&D and sharing it with us!

Guys, please again. Share with us your pics...

Regards!
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote