Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
One-Ways - Do they really help??? >

One-Ways - Do they really help???

One-Ways - Do they really help???

Old 11-23-2005, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Oneways, spool and diffs, for asphalt they all can perform well.
I found it has more to do with setup.
At SoCal it was always thought Spools don't work because of the insainly tight track that it is with banked sides.
After many different setups.....like 15-20 different...I found the cars sweet spot (thanks to Charlie and Tony for the help) with a spool. Now I stay on the throttle alot more than with a oneway, hense making the lap times come down.
SETUP WILL DICTATE WHICH IS FASTER.
But consider this....
With my oneway setup I would turn say 12.9-13.3sec lap times.
With the spool setup I was turning 12.5-12.7sec lap times and the consistancy got better...
So really you have to put in the track time and practice with them both.
Time is the thing that really makes the difference.
Oh just so you know the car doesn't push with the spool....I had to actually turn the D rate down on the steering...
Oh one more thing....
Both require getting use to the setups....I.E. I had to relearn how to drive the different setups...Oneways require a different driving style than a spool.
Good luck with your venture into new things.
I would suggest you get yourself some different shock oils and springs....spend some time doing different setups with your car.....
Heck I just learned how to do this...hehehehehe....
-Shookie <><
Old 11-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I race on an asphalt track as well and when I put in a one way in my TC4 it really made a difference in my lap times! I did put stiffer springs up front and used a set up that one of the faster guys used with his TC4 with a one way. I added 1-2 laps per race with this set-up but I did have to adjust my style of driving to get used to racing with the one-way. Don't think I will ever race anything without it at least not on our asphalt track! Gene
Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

spools are a wank "fad" and diffs at the front are just slower.

this is proven, just have a look at most drivers and what they use.

with a oneway installed you will be quicker. period. reason? you have alot more steering when entering a corner and the car can therefore enter later, brake/release throttle later.

you need to have a oneway and then try finding a setup. any bollocks setup works with a diff or a spool because these mask a bad setup by making it "feel" like it drives easier.

droop becomes a major factor when you use a oneway. don't give the car too much rear droop, AND ALWAYS USE THE RIGHT TYRES!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

i thought spools give more stress on the tires while turning beacuse of the different turning diameters that the 2front wheels have and so the spool is solid and so it wouldnt let on side spin faster then the other side... so wouldnt the car be harder to turn with

i also thought that one-ways alow the 2front wheels to be able to rotate in different speeds so it can eliminate the stress on the 2front wheels with the 2different turning diameters

just using my physics
Old 11-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by VenomWorldOrder
spools are a wank "fad" and diffs at the front are just slower.

this is proven, just have a look at most drivers and what they use.

with a oneway installed you will be quicker. period. reason? you have alot more steering when entering a corner and the car can therefore enter later, brake/release throttle later.

you need to have a oneway and then try finding a setup. any bollocks setup works with a diff or a spool because these mask a bad setup by making it "feel" like it drives easier.

droop becomes a major factor when you use a oneway. don't give the car too much rear droop, AND ALWAYS USE THE RIGHT TYRES!
You haven't driven my spool setup...I have more steering with it than my oneway....
I prove it with lap times...
And no spools will not mask a bad setup when you run a 19T or mod...They will enhance any setup faults....Hence the 15-20 different setup changes...
But hey I am not here to say I am right and you are wrong...I had that same mantality about spools until I actually learned to setup the car right to really use a spool....(oh not saying you don't just that maybe you should try it again).
-Shookie <><
Old 11-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
You haven't driven my spool setup...I have more steering with it than my oneway....
I prove it with lap times...
And no spools will not mask a bad setup when you run a 19T or mod...They will enhance any setup faults....Hence the 15-20 different setup changes...
But hey I am not here to say I am right and you are wrong...I had that same mantality about spools until I actually learned to setup the car right to really use a spool....(oh not saying you don't just that maybe you should try it again).
-Shookie <><
Glad you liked the spool setup, don't forget to thank Jason E too , he was the one who turned me onto the spool there, like you said I thought it was always a oneway track for sure! I was quite surprised that the spool had that much snap going into the tight corners of SoCal... This weekend I'm off to try some carpet, foam, diff action (I've never, ever driven with a front diff in all my 4 years...)
Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Good Luck Tony....
I will tell Jason thanks as well...
Alan is now running something simular...
SPOOL CAL...now...LOL
-Shookie <><
Old 11-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I mainly use 1-ways outside on most of the tracks that i run at and indoors i sometimes run a 1-way depending on the track layout but i mainly use a spool inside

Charles
Old 11-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Fathead - Interesting to hear you dont like one ways. I think North Harbour was about the only track which I could actually use one and still be just as fast. I agree they are hopeless everywhere else. Most people think they would be good at Ruapuna but they are no good at all for the majority. The track is just not grippy enough. I almost always use a ball diff front and rear these days

Mike
Old 11-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Fathead - Interesting to hear you dont like one ways. I think North Harbour was about the only track which I could actually use one and still be just as fast. I agree they are hopeless everywhere else. Most people think they would be good at Ruapuna but they are no good at all for the majority. The track is just not grippy enough. I almost always use a ball diff front and rear these days

Mike
Once my FTTC4 arrives I will be testing a spool setup for Albany, at the international at the beginning of this year I used a tight front diff so I think a spool is the answer, although Darren would prob disagree

Grip is the major problem we have with running oneways I think, without any sauce there just isn't enough grip to exploit the oneway to its fullest
Old 11-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one-ways are faster in all my experiences with the right setup for each of course...one-ways have much more potential for more off power steering(obviously)