Search

How do you look after your batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
How do you look after your batteries?

Hi there,

Im wanting to purchase some new batteries for my X-ray.
Im new to the hobby and when I purchased the car I bought 2x 3300GP batteries and Ive been charging them and discharging and re-using them multiple times in a race meet, they have lost their power as they have been used and abused for to long.

Im wanting to know which batteries you guy would reccomend that would give me max power in a race and need to know what type of equipment I need to use to look after them and the procedures to take when using them, so the batteries can give me max power in a race and longer life span of the pack.

The other question is about the new Pulse discharger Trinity have out. Has anyone used purchased or used this?
Does anyone know what it does exactly?
When would you use it?
How is it used?

sorry for all the questions but their is so much I need to know, expecially if Im going to spend alot of $$$$$$ in purchasing new batteries and equipment to look after them.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thankyou all.

Last edited by Cristian Silva; 10-20-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

check out SMC's website and look around for their battery care info. Doesn't get more reliable than that information.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

can anyone help me with some advice?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well better batteries usally cost more $$$, some popular batteries now are the Pro-matched and SMC, you can also use ORion cells. Unless you do not have them already you should get a tray discharger to discharge each indivisual cell to equilize them so they stay matched longer. Maybe get a 30amp discharger , good for the cells to always charge and discharge at same rate. Same with discharge, u should repeant discharging as well as the current. make sure to always cut off at the same voltage, the Novak smart tray is very cool, it automiaticaly stops for you at .9 volts so you dont have to worry about dead shorting. Unless you want to dead short, I think that if you do deadshort it is bad for the cells but you will have a lot of punch, also your batteries will not last.

I have heard the Spintec Battery manager has helped alot, I used a friends and i got 800 more mah on my 6 month old gp3300 pack. Well that about it, i only know the basics too
Old 10-24-2005, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah i agree with Sushi Man

I`d been just using a home made 20amp Bulb discharger with a multi meter to check on the volts and manually diconnected at 5.4volt.

I got myself a resister type tray today and cycled my old Nosram 3600 which had slowly been loosing Mah over the months of racing.I`d changed it from a stick to a saddle pack also so i could tray it.

Previously i was battling to get 3000Mah in one hit B4 it would false peak. NOW after just one go on the tray (down to 0.7v) it took just over 3900Mah B4 it peaked once.

So basically what i`m trying to say is that a TRAY is a MUST, and keep your charging/discharging cycles consistant.

Cheers