R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   BMI FK05/ Other upgrades (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/87838-bmi-fk05-other-upgrades.html)

thebrad 10-20-2005 06:53 PM

BMI FK05/ Other upgrades

For those of you with the BMI chassis kit, how do you like it? I'm having a hard time seeing what is different on it, and how those differences affect the performance. How about other aftermarket parts for the FK05, not necessarily from BMI?

punkboy 10-20-2005 06:59 PM

Hey Brad,

I have been running the BMI chassis on the 05 since right when it came out, about midway through the asphalt season.

The main difference about the kit is that it moves your electronics up 3mm, which I believe is to help corner entry, or make the car steer more aggressively. Also, the upper deck seems to be a little stiffer to me, just by the way it was cut, and the supports that it has. The shock towers (front, and rear) look like they are lower by about 1.5mm or so (just an estimated guess) which is a plus for carpet.

Once I put the BMI chassis on the car, I have not gone back to the stock chassis at all, and that was on parking lots with Take Offs, to so far, only a Low bite Ozite carpet track.

Hope this helps you out. I am sure somebody can explain a little better how moving things 3mm forward affects the car. I know its all about the weight distribution, and transfer. Personal opinion, I think the chassis is worth every penny.

Juan Aveytia 10-20-2005 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by thebrad
For those of you with the BMI chassis kit, how do you like it? I'm having a hard time seeing what is different on it, and how those differences affect the performance. How about other aftermarket parts for the FK05, not necessarily from BMI?

Just stick with the factory stuff. The car always works. Look at all the big races and all the great results it already has asphalt or carpet, U.S. or in other country's. Xray makes all the optional parts you need to go fast. And plus if you stick with factory stuff, when it comes to team set-ups you will be able to copy their cars the same way.

ALBERTO 10-20-2005 07:06 PM

my favorite up grade were all of the team tamale products.. As for the bmi It's real nice, but it didnt work for me. I had problems with the holes for the motor mount from day one. I tighten them too tight and cracked the counter sunk holes, causing the motor to losen up easily. In my opinion the holes were too close to the edge for my taste. After that I had several set up problems, all of which winded up cracking the front half. My falt not bmi's. After which I went back to the stock chassis and all seemed to fall back into place. Bmi makes some real sweet stuff!!! but if you are fast and contend with other A mainers dont brother. I by no means wish to dissrespect Jason at BMI!!!! He does put out quality stuff.

thebrad 10-20-2005 07:08 PM

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, with the 2mm chassis, I did very well in my local races, I won about 8 races, tq'ed 9 or 10, I'm just curious as to what people have been doing to their cars. Has anyone checked out Team Tamale? Their stuff is pretty sweet.

thebrad 10-20-2005 07:09 PM

You beat me!

ALBERTO 10-20-2005 07:10 PM

sorry kid lol :sneaky: :sneaky:

thebrad 10-20-2005 07:11 PM

Not a problem, have you tried those new 4.5 degree caster blocks posted on the website?

ALBERTO 10-20-2005 07:13 PM

the alli ones? not yet dont know it there in stock. I tried to get last month and no luck, SOLD OUT!!! been using 4.5 hard from xray. and a pdub bumper!!! wont change till i break these lol

thebrad 10-20-2005 07:20 PM

oops, they're actually 3 degrees, the "inline" camber blocks, and they're plastic, like on Burch's car.

thebrad 10-20-2005 07:31 PM

Does anyone else make any good hopups for the car that really doesn't need themb? :D I really only know of Tamale and BMI.

olhipster1 10-20-2005 08:52 PM

Just my 2 cents

I have to say i've driven a lot of cars...Xrays are one the most durable cars out there..
The only upgrades that are a viable option are the Team Tamale aluminum parts are by far the best out there for a Xray....this guy (one man show) is precise with the aluminum work..he is a racer who tests all his stuff before selling to fellow racers.
Aluminum Rear Uprights
Aluminum Steering Knuckles
and the best of all the
Aluminum CHUBS...

I will say the Xsomething brand aluminum stuff is a waste of $$$ they bend so easy it's ridiculous, the Xbrand was a waste of cash..2 set of chubs bent like putty.

I'm still just a rookie (2years now say a lot doesn't it)
and the Team Tamale parts never bent or misaligned....
Go Team Tamale.

Everything else on the xray is pretty much great quality.

thebrad 10-20-2005 09:00 PM

I agree, tamale does make some pretty phenomenal stuff. :nod: Any other companies? Come on now...

Formula1fan 10-21-2005 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by ALBERTO
my favorite up grade were all of the team tamale products.. As for the bmi It's real nice, but it didnt work for me. I had problems with the holes for the motor mount from day one. I tighten them too tight and cracked the counter sunk holes, causing the motor to losen up easily. In my opinion the holes were too close to the edge for my taste. After that I had several set up problems, all of which winded up cracking the front half. My falt not bmi's. After which I went back to the stock chassis and all seemed to fall back into place. Bmi makes some real sweet stuff!!! but if you are fast and contend with other A mainers dont brother. I by no means wish to dissrespect Jason at BMI!!!! He does put out quality stuff.

Who is team tamale and do they have a web page? I am going to give the hyperform chassis a try. I have one of their 12th scale chassis and it is quality :nod: Just my $.02.

Chill Will 10-21-2005 05:17 AM

The only thing I know to sugest is to buy the Spring Steel axels, especially for the front. The stock ones sux. They widen after you run the car a while and if you break a front hub you can't get the bearings off.