Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Questions?? Tire inserts. Which to use?

Hello to all.

For onroad.

I have a question on tire inserts. I read somewhere that if you have the right kind of tire for the track you're about 90 percent done.

But what about the inserts?

Soft, Medium, Hard. Under what conditions should I use and why?

Thank you in advance.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If your tires come with an insert that's the best place to start.
For tires that don't come with inserts I personally prefer a firmer insert so the tire has a firmer sidewall and wont rollunder under hard cornering
Old 05-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Digging up an old thread, just seeing what everyone's thoughts on tire inserts...

I usually just buy wheel set which comes preglued from the factory so I never gave it much thought why all tires seem to have this air gap inside the tires. As if the inserts doesnt completely fill up the tire making it feel like the tires are "flat". The car seem to handle really well on the track tho so I didnt really cared. As long as the car runs, its all good.

But recently, the tires we used to run on the track seems to have a bad batch of inserts which gets REALLY soft after a few dozen runs. There is still plenty of meat left on the tire, but it feels like there is no insert left and really hurts the handling. Im suspecting the track temp have something to do with it as it easily gets above 50c in the afternoon sun.

So I decided to build my own tires and choose my own inserts to see if this "fixes" the problem but throughout the different type and brands of insert Ive tried, they all have this air gap in the tire. This bothered me quite a bit until one day I saw a roll of double sided foam tape. This gave me an idea of thickening the insert with the foam and see if this affects handling or not. I first lined the tires with the double sided foam tape then added the insert. It was a bit tricky to get the tires to mount the wheel and seated nicely but i managed. The tires feels pretty filled up with the extra foam and doesnt have any more air gap. Took it to the track for some testing and it doesnt seem to affect handling. The tires arent excessively out of balanced and the foam held up quite fine in the wheel. The car still feels really good on the track and was able to pull in around the same lap times. I put in 8 packs of battery through the tires that day and they seem to be wearing pretty evenly. I dont see any ribbing or funny business with the tires.

One thing I do notice is the tires squealed a bit more in turns than before. It didnt matter if it was a gentle sweeper, or a hard 180 turn the tires squealed just squealed with any steering input. Not a huge deal, just find it funny.

Right now Im experimenting with another set of wheels but this time instead of lining the tires with double sided tape foam first, Ive stuck the foam on the outside of the wheel first. This also filled up the gaps in tire but not as much as my first method. Going to give this set a try and see if they perform any differently.

What are you thoughts about this? interesting? waste of time and money?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
Tech Elite

The air gap is something that has developed over time for a reason. By all means experiment with a stuffed tyre, but I expect you will find that the air gap is faster.

It's unfortunate that the recent batch of inserts has been letting you down. It's always frustrating when a pre-mounted tyre doesn't work consistently.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Sorex yellow insert is great for outdoor asphalt ,
dawgmeat and *SBH* like this.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
Digging up an old thread, just seeing what everyone's thoughts on tire inserts...

I usually just buy wheel set which comes preglued from the factory so I never gave it much thought why all tires seem to have this air gap inside the tires. As if the inserts doesnt completely fill up the tire making it feel like the tires are "flat". The car seem to handle really well on the track tho so I didnt really cared. As long as the car runs, its all good.

But recently, the tires we used to run on the track seems to have a bad batch of inserts which gets REALLY soft after a few dozen runs. There is still plenty of meat left on the tire, but it feels like there is no insert left and really hurts the handling. Im suspecting the track temp have something to do with it as it easily gets above 50c in the afternoon sun.

So I decided to build my own tires and choose my own inserts to see if this "fixes" the problem but throughout the different type and brands of insert Ive tried, they all have this air gap in the tire. This bothered me quite a bit until one day I saw a roll of double sided foam tape. This gave me an idea of thickening the insert with the foam and see if this affects handling or not. I first lined the tires with the double sided foam tape then added the insert. It was a bit tricky to get the tires to mount the wheel and seated nicely but i managed. The tires feels pretty filled up with the extra foam and doesnt have any more air gap. Took it to the track for some testing and it doesnt seem to affect handling. The tires arent excessively out of balanced and the foam held up quite fine in the wheel. The car still feels really good on the track and was able to pull in around the same lap times. I put in 8 packs of battery through the tires that day and they seem to be wearing pretty evenly. I dont see any ribbing or funny business with the tires.

One thing I do notice is the tires squealed a bit more in turns than before. It didnt matter if it was a gentle sweeper, or a hard 180 turn the tires squealed just squealed with any steering input. Not a huge deal, just find it funny.

Right now Im experimenting with another set of wheels but this time instead of lining the tires with double sided tape foam first, Ive stuck the foam on the outside of the wheel first. This also filled up the gaps in tire but not as much as my first method. Going to give this set a try and see if they perform any differently.

If you search on this site, there are actually threads from the early 2000's when premount tires were rare that have very good information on inserts and handling. Suffice it to say, less airgap will heat the tires more. It should also increase response of the tire.

Which Tire Inserts To Use?

Inserts for Sorex tires/high track temps??

Rubber tires for dummies

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/

Last edited by robk; 08-08-2017 at 08:57 PM.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
If you search on this site, there are actually threads from the early 2000's when premount tires were rare that have very good information on inserts and handling. Suffice it to say, less airgap will heat the tires more. It should also increase response of the tire.

Which Tire Inserts To Use?

Inserts for Sorex tires/high track temps??

Rubber tires for dummies
That makes sense. my tires were pretty warm coming off the track with the stuff tire. Gotta get the right temperature compound or you risk overheating them. Responds should also increase as the tires deform less underload
Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #9
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

https://youtu.be/0-YeLuAnkHI
Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

depends on the temp, start from softer thin insert. Air gap is a must.
Smashrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #11
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Can't seem to find them locally, not even rcmart carries all their inserts, I just have to go with whats available to me and give it a shot
Old 08-11-2017, 04:14 AM   #12
Bar
Tech Regular

This used to be the holy grail before we went pre-glued here in the UK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/18199282297...1899408&crdt=0
Old 08-11-2017, 04:18 AM   #13
Bar
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post

Bigger air gap allows the tyre to move around more giving more traction up to a point, if it's really hot then having a smaller air gap could be beneficial
Old 08-15-2017, 03:03 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Hello!

- I am racing with Tamiya TA07 pro chassis only on tarmac surface, so I tested Team Sorex 28R Competition Rubber Tires with Team Sorex 24mm Molded Tire Inserts Type-C Medium...raced only 5 times and tires are already badly worn out?
- so which tiers do you recommend for racing on tarmac...at the moment I am thinking to buy this ones https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ride-1-1...re32-4pcs.html
- if I remove old tire and replace with new one the tire insert needs to be also replaced or it can be used more than once?
- what do you recommend about the removing process, tires from the rims, is there any simple procedure because the tires are glued on rims with glue HobbyKing Super Glue CA (50g / 1.7oz) Super Thin?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Hi Tamiya WRC
Sorex 28 gets to hot, thats why they get worn so fast. I dont know the temperature in Your area, but You should use Sorex 32 or Sorex 36 (40 if the ambient temp is really high)
Sorex C inserts have the most airgap, that gives You traction but is very hard to the tires. I would change those to Sorex B inserts instead.

You can use Acetone to get the tires off from the wheels (If its not original Tamiya wheels)

Good luck
snuvet75 likes this.
*SBH* is offline   Reply With Quote