Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hpi rs4 rally

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

hpi rs4 rally

hi, does anyone here own an rs4 rally? that seems to be the only car here that i dont see a thread for. they're really cool.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

My rally has a 14turn speed gems motor and HAD a futaba mc330cr esc.
the reason i say that it had one is because the speed controller blew up the other day
Old 10-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've got two of them. Only built one of them and I've never actually ran it as yet. Crazy I know!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

what! you definitely have to run the car! the picture to the left is my car. i wish that more companies made rally cars. when you do get around to driving your cars, what running gear will you use?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I used to have one. broke the chassis right in front of the rear bulkhead, glued it back together and ran it at the offroad track a few times with a 10x2 on a old novak speedo that was rated for a 14 turn. was a fast lil bugger.

ended up selling it RTR for 25 bucks
Old 10-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

yeah, i once broke that too, same spot. high speed reverse run+curb-body or bumper=damage i just epoxied mine back together. hasnt broke since.
i just wish they made an aluminum chassis for the car. combined with the carbon fiber upper deck, it would look totaly trick i may just make one myself by drawing a template with the origional chassis and then cutting it out of a 2.5mm piece of aluminum with a dremel or a jigsaw. anyone try that yet???
Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Tech Rookie

You can design and produce a professional aluminum chassis for your RS4 Rally at http://www.emachineshop.com/ If your prototype works then you can make a few and sell it.

I downloaded the software and its fun just to mess around with.

Can the rally car run on an 'off-road' track or is it more geared toward a flat gravel/dirt track?

We have an off-road track at our LHS http://pittsburghpa.hobbytown.com/se...page/?id=53228 and I wonder if it can handle the jumps.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ive ran my old rally on an indoor offroad track, that ran monster trucks, 1/8 scales, and 10th scales. I was running it with a 10x2 in it, over geared lol. It didnt always land on all four wheels, but besides cracking the chassis on a skateboard ramp, i never broke a part on that car in 2 years of beating it.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

I run my car on a variety of surfaces, such as asphalt, grass, wood chips, loose and hard packed dirt, i havent tried to run it on a track with jumps and stuff yet, but it would have good results. lots of people do.
and about that online machine shop, i definitely want to check that out! thanks! see if you guys can post some pictures of your cars.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

wouldnt it be cool if they made a racing class for rally cars? i think it would also be interesting to let them race alongside stadium trucks and buggies.
i think the rally car would have an advantage because of 4 wheel drive.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i just got my 3rd rs4 rally. i want to keep them all to rip, but 1 might have to become a parts car. i hope not.

these cars really are sweet.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I figured I would bump this because I'm currently building ours

My dad bought back in 98-99 and we built it, but he didn't want to buy the electronics for it at the time (so it's never been run)

Well, now I'm building it up!

So far, I have the Castle Sidewinder SCT motor/ ESC, and a Futaba servo that I'm waiting on mounting blocks for and Futaba receiver

My local Hobby People has parking lot races at their store. The guys were drooling over me building it because they thought it was so cool and said I should race, so I'll be getting some street tires and a new set of shocks to swap out the OG ones. I really want to use a BMW E30 body. I think it's look bitchin'. Old school body for a sort-of- old school car. Also want to make an aluminum full under chassis skidplate (coz I'd hate to see it's newness messed up :P )

I'll grab a few pics later if anyone is interested in me building it
Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Armistice
I figured I would bump this because I'm currently building ours

My dad bought back in 98-99 and we built it, but he didn't want to buy the electronics for it at the time (so it's never been run)

Well, now I'm building it up!

So far, I have the Castle Sidewinder SCT motor/ ESC, and a Futaba servo that I'm waiting on mounting blocks for and Futaba receiver

My local Hobby People has parking lot races at their store. The guys were drooling over me building it because they thought it was so cool and said I should race, so I'll be getting some street tires and a new set of shocks to swap out the OG ones. I really want to use a BMW E30 body. I think it's look bitchin'. Old school body for a sort-of- old school car. Also want to make an aluminum full under chassis skidplate (coz I'd hate to see it's newness messed up :P )

I'll grab a few pics later if anyone is interested in me building it

Very cool. I'm guessing you race at the HobbyTown parking lot race?

Rather than making an aluminum under chassis (way too heavy) go to Pep-Boys and pick up a roll of clear vinyl that is used to prevent rock chips on the sides of cars. It comes in a roll about 6" wide, is pretty thick, and would be perfect to stick to the bottom of your chassis and protect it from damage. Just cut it to shape and for $20 you would have enough material to make a ton of them as they wear out.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Funny I find this thread now, I just sold mine lol. Well traded for a new sct. It actually had the super-rare full carbon fiber chassis and shocktower kit. With one ways front and rear. Mean ass car
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robotech
Very cool. I'm guessing you race at the HobbyTown parking lot race?

Rather than making an aluminum under chassis (way too heavy) go to Pep-Boys and pick up a roll of clear vinyl that is used to prevent rock chips on the sides of cars. It comes in a roll about 6" wide, is pretty thick, and would be perfect to stick to the bottom of your chassis and protect it from damage. Just cut it to shape and for $20 you would have enough material to make a ton of them as they wear out.
Yah, the HT parking lot races

I'm amused you say aluminum (I have some super thin stuff) would be way heavy :P But I will look into that vinyl stuff. I fig'd that the aluminum would be best because the chassis has cutouts and with anything stick-on then crud would just build up in those cutouts. I COULD put a bit of baby powder in those parts to unsticky them. Yah, that'd work

Still waiting on my servo mount blocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.