Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cyclone, lrp, others???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default cyclone, lrp, others???

quantum, ipc v7.1 , and cyclone are very expensive esc, but is there any big difference between them and others like the futaba esc 100 ($32.99). i know what the manufactors say, but what do the buyers think????
do u feel the difference???
Does your lap time gets better????how much???

thanks...
Old 12-21-2001, 03:31 PM
Joe
Tech Regular

Yes, It really does make a difference. When I switched from my Duratrax ESC to my Tekin G-10, I immediately noticed that it was smoother, punchier, and had a higher top speed. It also allows you to use mod motors for modified racing.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Then you have the LRP quantum coming in at 185 dollars, the GM is nice, 150, the TC2/C2 are 135. Any of those are great, and will be a huge leap up from any ESC like the one you mentioned.
Old 12-21-2001, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

I wouldnt get the older LRPs(v6, v7.1) because the blue tape stuff comes off the case and you have to send it to LRP or AE to have wires replaced if you switch cars alot unless you are a very skilled solderer. I have owned both of the newer Cyclones (C2 and TC2), and I never had a prob with either at all. Im getting a millennium pro for Christmas so I can have a pit wizard for it
Old 12-22-2001, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

Yes I feel the difference. I have always been a beliver in "you get what you pay for". I spent 80 bucks for a lrp speedo and had nothing but problems. I spent 127 on a Novak tc2 and i havent had one problem, and ive been turning faster laps.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Yes sir. You get just what you pay for.

Without mentioning the others, of which we have tried most, we have found Novak products to be the best all rounders.

My son and I have had Cyclones on our cars since Cyclones were first introduced, having changed from Less Reliable Products. We have never had a problem.

The Cyclone is robust and reliable, and Novak's after sales service is second to none. Ask Charlie on Novak's forum anything you like and he will answer promptly. That's what I call service.

We now use Novak receivers, speedos and chargers exclusively.

Happy Christmas to all.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 12-22-2001, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

the expensive esc's have higher end components which make them more efficient and powerful than lower priced esc's
Old 12-23-2001, 11:25 AM
Tech Initiate

when i changed from a Less Reliable Speedo (and less powerful) to the GM i qualified 2nd overall at the first meeting - a huge step froward
Old 12-23-2001, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

I went from a cheapy speedo to a Novak Cyclone about 2 years ago and it is still running fine with no problems.

The difference for me was night and day. It made the car feel as though it was on steroids. Especially as I race stock class most of the time.

The Cylone may be a little on the Porky side compared to todays new breen of postage stamp speedos but for me the reliability has been impressive. If it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind.

Yorkie
Old 12-24-2001, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

One only learns by one's mistakes......sometimes!

Some months ago a new company reintroduced Less Reliable Products to the local market. It sold quite a few, and indeed the grid for the first race meeting of the season had quite a bit of blue. Three months later, at yesterday's meeting, we started off with just 2 blues, of which one turned from blue to smoke grey. Then there was 1.

Everything else was orange. People do see the good from the bad, eventually.

Happy Christmas, and may father Christmas give those unfortunates who are still not converted a nice new orange TC2 for Christmas.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've been a Novak stalwart for years but heard good things about the Quantum Competition from fellow drivers so I'm going to try one. Both of my Cyclones are now rebuilt from the factory so the issue of reliability is up in the air.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I just got my Quantum Competition about a week ago and love it so far. I got it brand new for $150 and got the world's kit for $20 more. This is by far the smallest ESC i've ever used and can't believe something this small can pack such a punch.

Its more adjustable than a Cyclone without a Pit Wizard. You can adjust the Punch Control (1-5 setting), Brake feel (0-5 setting), and Drag Brakes (0-5 setting). I think a TC3 running mod might benefit from a 1 or 2 drag brake setting since the car wants to coast forever. A little drag brake will shift some weight forward coming into a turn giving even more steering.

Its set-up mode isn't as easy as a Cyclone since you have to press the button 4 times, but it's not hard either. I also have a Cyclone TC and its been a very good ESC, I just wanted to try something new that matched all the blue stuff of a FT TC3. I've already mounted everything and can fit the Quantum C with the large world's capacitor and on/off switch in the same space a Cyclone took up. This things rocks if you don't have a lot of room for electronics.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Thats something else I hated about my lrp......the damn setup button wouldn't work. It was hard to get something inside the case to press the tiny thing, and when I did it wouldn't work 75% of the time, and I would have a real frustration time trying to hold it down right so that it would go into setup mode. Not very good for changing settings....especially when it resets the settings the heat before. Thank god for the TC2 and its BIG button on the top of it.
Old 12-26-2001, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the higher end speedos like the v7.1 and novak c2 and tc2 have much lower on resistence and they will have more punch to them.they will also have a much lower or no motor limit. some also have dual profiles. and also have more powerful transistors like hyperfet instead of megafet
Old 12-30-2001, 12:24 PM

If you are serius about competition racing....go with GM V12XC, it is simple, not the most expensice but the most powerfull ESC so far compared to TC2, Quantum Comp, and even the keyence 2002.

But if the after sales service is what you care about, in USA I believe Novak is the best. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.