R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I promise you that if I call up a chinese manufacturer, tell them I want 2000 of their 98483758932 fans but wound with x winds of y gauge wire, they will start making them the moment my check clears.

The crazy thing about cheap chinese labor is that a LOT of stuff that comes from there is actually hand made. It's cheaper for them than investing in automated tooling that would require expensive re-sets and programming. Instead you just use the same molded stuff you use in your normal computer fans, hand the girls a different spool of wire and tell them to do x winds instead of y. Problem solved.

Not saying that's what wtf has done, I have no idea but it certainly could be done.
Must be a small fan manufacturer, pun intended, lol. I would imagine it would take more like 200,000+ fans for them to stop or change a production line making over a million fans, just for a little more cfm's. They would direct them to an existing fan set up and maybe alter plug or inline resistor to adjust cfm.
You might be right, but I would want to see proof that a PC fan manufacturer would do special builds for that little of market.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Tha same fan from WTF is also sold as Robitronic, Muchmore and several other RC brands so I have seen. So there must be a manufacturer making these in large quantities.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have the Muchmore MMRC3043 on most of my cars. It definitely does not move as much air --or make nearly as much noise!-- as the WTF.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #19
Tech Master

I have my WTF windy fan behind the motor and it works great. I keep making the joke I am going to move stuff around and put it in front of the motor and it blows so much air the I will pick up 2/10s.

One of the few RC products that are worth the money.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pretty sure the WTF motors is a custom wind.

The WTF Windy appears to have a custom housing as well.
DamianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
I would imagine it would take more like 200,000+ fans for them to stop or change a production line making over a million fans, just for a little more cfm's.
That's just it, there is no production line. It's a room full of men and women working for peanuts slapping these things together by hand. Just walk up to the ten on the end, hand them a spool of wire and give some new instructions.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #22
Tech Addict

The WTF "Windy" fans are overpriced and overrated. The Yeah Racing 30mm Tornado fans blow just as hard if not harder for less than half the price. I have tested at least 6 YR tornados and they blow between 5.5 and 6.5 grams of wind force at 6 volts.

My WTF windy blows no more than 5.5 grams at 6 volts but it takes 20-30 seconds to eventually blow that hard.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples:

WTF 30mm Ultra High Speed Motor Cooling Fan, $12.99 on their web site;

Yeah Racing Tornado High Speed Cooling Fan 30x 30mm, $10.99 from TQ Racing.

(30mm is the only size permitted by ROAR)
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Windy fans are roar legal since the fan part is still <30mm. Someone asked at carpet nats and it was deemed legal.

Tc4- sounds like you have a bad fan. Should not be taking that long to spool up.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
The WTF "Windy" fans are overpriced and overrated. The Yeah Racing 30mm Tornado fans blow just as hard if not harder for less than half the price. I have tested at least 6 YR tornados and they blow between 5.5 and 6.5 grams of wind force at 6 volts.

My WTF windy blows no more than 5.5 grams at 6 volts but it takes 20-30 seconds to eventually blow that hard.

Always been curious so I tested my superior hobbies f5 fan and I'm getting 8.0 grams on a near fully charged 2s lipo for anyone interested.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

Try another WTF, (does it have black wires or red and black?) some move lots of air and others don't.
DamianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #27
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

@tc4 - make sure you're using battery voltage, not powering from your receiver
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:54 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'd rather speak CFM than gms, to be honest... Not smart enough to do the conversion, my fluid mechanics classes were many, many moons ago (and I sucked). Industry standard is CFM.

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
I'd rather speak CFM than gms, to be honest... Not smart enough to do the conversion, my fluid mechanics classes were many, many moons ago (and I sucked). Industry standard is CFM.

Paul
Not exactly trying to conform to an industries standard. Just comparing apples to apples here.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

I've done these same tests, and agree that at 6v there's not much in it. But the Windy fan can take 8.4v, and once you do that it pushes more air than the Tornado. The Tornado won't take lipo voltage; I tried with my first one and it was dead after one meeting.

I did a back-to-back on Monday and the motor was 4deg cooler with the Windy (8.4v) than with the Tornado (6v). That's using a data-logger for accurate comparisons, in stable conditions. The Windy is a lot bigger and heavier though. I took a dremel to mine and removed about 4g off the outer housing.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote