Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

MUGEN MGT7 Super Touring ECO

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jlemieux
Ok guys I bought the RCmonster Motor mount to run bigger gearing in my MGT7. Now the diff mount is much shorter than the motor mount. Can anyone tell me what I need to buy to get this to work? Thanks
Damn that sucks. I would just go back to the stock mount.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok guys I bought the RCmonster Motor mount to run bigger gearing in my MGT7. Now the diff mount is much shorter than the motor mount. Can anyone tell me what I need to buy to get this to work? Thanks
You don't need an aftermarket mount, the stock mount can handle all the gearing you'll ever need! I'm able to fit a 25t spur with a 37t pinion if I wanted but that combo would literally have my motor over 200° in a heartbeat! So the stock mount can handle way more gearing than you'll need!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
Great, then we can agree to disagree. I don't think I would have had any problems with this kit if I had built a Mugen kit before or for that matter any other car where the center diff case was different than the F/R diffs. However, my RC8, RC8.2, Tekno SCT410, and Team C Truggy - all have the same diff cases F/C/R and the MGT7 diff cases look similar enough to not think they are all the same too. Funny the people at my LHS who had Mugens all knew that the center diff case was different. Must be a Mugen thing - as a logistican I would never design a unique part unless there was a really good performance justification for doing so.

BTW correction my car did come with 300K diff oil, not 600K. I must have been thinking of one of the other setups I looked at.

Since my kit is new, I probably ahve the new motor mount in my car. I have a 19T pinion with the 44T spur and there is plenty of room for a much bigger pinon (probably another 5 teeth or so), which I doubt I'll need for on road racing. However, I'm not trying to go 140 MPH with an 8s battery like tc4basher - after all this is an onroad car intendd for on road racing.

I did some testing in the driveway tonight to get the ESC setup for hopefully some test runs tomorrow on the track.
I think you just explained a serious problem I had with my kit. The car was completely assembled by myself with the hope that all diff cases were equal. I certainly mixed them and tried to race my car when I realized it was not working as expected. First, the center diff was destroyed with an overheating during a race and I had to entirely replace it. Second, a folk observed my car was slower that it should be with my electronics and found out the rear diff was wrong. The car was running with just 3 wheels at a time. Replaced the rear diff and finally had a completely different car in my hands. Fast and constant. All of this could have been avoided if: a). I had payed close attention for the fact the diff cases were different or b) Mugen had adopted the same diff case all around or c). Mugen had clearly warned in the manual the diff cases we different. But Mugen will never admit a mistake. This company is arrogant with their costumers. I've complained about the motor mount on my kit just about when I've finished my build. Who on earth would design an onroad car that would not accept bigger pinion gears. Well... Mugen did and they had not admited it was a mistake. Here's the answer they gave me when I asked about it:

Originally Posted by rnelias

so... how do you explain that, now, the same motor mount is listed for both, MBX7T and MGT7 ecos? I took a photo of both manuals's revisions. Both are attached.

Yes, I'm assuming it *was* a design flaw (!), probably because Mugen has a tradition in producing offroad cars like MBX*. In fact, it's clear that MGT7 was a conversion from your buggy's platform and longer gearing ratios have no sense for offroad cars. It's common sense that offroad cars rely on torque while onroad begs for top speed (at least, in our track). Mugen's engineer may have missed this (important) point and made the shift in time for new owners. Moreover, Mugen is not the only company to produce pinion gears...

Just to reinforce my point, here goes another client that recognized the same "inconvenient" in the older motor mount:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...448797/reviews

I'll start a discussion in our Facebook group for MGT7 to check other people's opinion.

I don't like to believe Mugen would leave its clients without a good and convincing solution for this case besides asking them to spend more 50 bucks to upgrade their "new" car... . I'm only asking for respect, as a client, from a company that should care for its name and be humble to recognize when something goes wrong...

Regards

Originally Posted by MugenUSA
Hi Renato,

Once again thank you for your email. We truly appreciate all emails and opinions.

Yes for sure at the time the MGT7 ECO was produced after the MBX7T ECO (this kit was released in April of 2014) the same motor mount was used and has worked excellent. Now fast forward to 2015 the MBX7TR ECO has a new version motor mount which was designed for the MBX7TR ECO and not for the MGT7 ECO. Yes it can be used in the MGT7 ECO but was purposely meant for the bigger can motors for Truggy use. No it was not a design flaw as you mentioned but a new item that is designed for Truggy use. We feel very proud of our design of the GT kit and we are 2 time IFMAR on road World Champion so we do have a bit of knowledge in both on and off road categories. Yes it it true that many other companies do produce pinion gears that may offer 18T and above but we dont. In a pure race category which our product is produced for there is not a need for anything bigger than a 17T pinion so this is the reason we dont produce one. We design and product all our product around racing and you will probably notice we dont offer a massive range of options parts as we feel they are not necessary for our kits or the categories we race in.

We feel very strong about our product and sell the best we can offer. Yes there will be people that dont agree with that as this is normal human nature. We hope you understand and thanks again for your email

Mugen
I've got disappointed with this company after this answer. I've only kept my kit because it's easier to buy Mugen stuffs where I live.

BTW: I had to *buy* the newer motor mount to race with 21T pinion that Mugen said me was not necessary on this car (they probably know all tracks around the world )
Old 06-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MallenP30
You don't need an aftermarket mount, the stock mount can handle all the gearing you'll ever need! I'm able to fit a 25t spur with a 37t pinion if I wanted but that combo would literally have my motor over 200° in a heartbeat! So the stock mount can handle way more gearing than you'll need!
You *DO NEED* to change the motor mount depending on the kit version you have. For those unfortunate like me, that got the kit just after it was released, the motor mount is a shame. They just used the same motor mount of MBX7
Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Tech Addict

You *DO NEED* to change the motor mount depending on the kit version you have. For those unfortunate like me, that got the kit just after it was released, the motor mount is a shame. They just used the same motor mount of MBX7
I use the same original motor mount which is same as the MBX7. I can fit 37t pinion with 26t spur with more room to spare. Not sure what everyone is crying about. The MGT7 is a great car that I have been running for nearly a year and still cannot think of any weaknesses.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc4basher
I use the same original motor mount which is same as the MBX7. I can fit 37t pinion with 26t spur with more room to spare. Not sure what everyone is crying about. The MGT7 is a great car that I have been running for nearly a year and still cannot think of any weaknesses.
But you can only run 26t spur because you removed the center diff and it's not a good option for those who race with this car as diff oil is a tunning parameter
Old 06-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Well since I already purchased the RCmonster mount is there a taller diff mount? Maybe the nitro version is taller ?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

Well since I already purchased the RCmonster mount is there a taller diff mount? Maybe the nitro version is taller ?
The newer Mugen motor mount for this car accepts up to 22T pinions from what I remember (or 23T... not sure). I've been using 22/44 with Tekin 2250kv/RX8v2 on 4S with no issues.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

But you can only run 26t spur because you removed the center diff and it's not a good option for those who race with this car as diff oil is a tunning parameter
Maybe you can practice driving without a center diff? Might make you a better driver if you are versatile.

Not running the center diff does not limit the performance of the car. Running one does severely.

Last edited by tc4basher; 06-23-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yea, I was assuming he just got his kit since he's just building it so it should be the newer version!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh I see, that's why because you're running the stock center diff! Jlemieux clearly stated that he's building a speed run car so he won't be using the center diff, so either stock mount will handle way more gearing than he'll need!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tuning Adjustments

Hello.

I have just purchased the MGT7 Eco. It is my first 1/8 tourer, I race 1/10 tourers generally. Out of the box I am very happy with how this chassis performs however I feel I still need to do some tuning adjustments with parts not supplied in the kit. I found it lacked a little rear grip. Mucked around with toe, shock positions and droop and settings in ESC so far which did improve it.

So my question is...where can I buy such things as shock springs and different rated sway bars etc?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69rotang
Hello.

I have just purchased the MGT7 Eco. It is my first 1/8 tourer, I race 1/10 tourers generally. Out of the box I am very happy with how this chassis performs however I feel I still need to do some tuning adjustments with parts not supplied in the kit. I found it lacked a little rear grip. Mucked around with toe, shock positions and droop and settings in ESC so far which did improve it.

So my question is...where can I buy such things as shock springs and different rated sway bars etc?
Tons of places, amain.com is where I get most of my parts for the Mgt7!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69rotang
Hello.

As others have pointed out you can buy plenty of option parts at many places; however, try this hybrid setup first. It uses all kit part and kit supplied oils but substitute Adam Drakes suspension/shock mounts/geometry from his nitro MGT7 setup:

http://www.mugenracing.com/content/S...up%20sheet.pdf

I've used this setup and it works very well (all but the top A arm mod - so far). Even on a green track, the car was great on its first shake down run; however, I had some minor problems with the back end breaking loose coming out of tight turns. Two possible causes: I found the front droop was uneven which I have fixed and I too messed up with the different diff cases and the rear diff was once filled with 600K oil and I may have not gotten all of it out when I refilled it with 50K. Anyway I haven't had the car back on the track to see if the problem is fixed. However this Hybrid setup won the big Serpent Challenge race in Brownsville this Spring. It was by far the best ECO car at that race and why I bought the MGT7: no option parts plus I had access to the driver and his setup! (BTW tires were S5 F and S3 R for the race I was using S5 F/R)

Last edited by John Wallace2; 07-18-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
As others have pointed out you can buy plenty of option parts at many places; however, try this hybrid setup first. It uses all kit part and kit supplied oils but substitute Adam Drakes suspension/shock mounts/geometry from his nitro MGT7 setup:

http://www.mugenracing.com/content/S...up%20sheet.pdf

I've used this setup and it works very well (all but the top A arm mod - so far). Even on a green track, the car was great on its first shake down run; however, I had some minor problems with the back end breaking loose coming out of tight turns. Two possible causes: I found the front droop was uneven which I have fixed and I too messed up with the different diff cases and the rear diff was once filled with 600K oil and I may have not gotten all of it out when I refilled it with 50K. Anyway I haven't had the car back on the track to see if the problem is fixed. However this Hybrid setup won the big Serpent Challenge race in Brownsville this Spring. It was by far the best ECO car at that race and why I bought the MGT7: no option parts plus I had access to the driver and his setup! (BTW tires were S5 F and S3 R for the race I was using S5 F/R)
Thanking you all. I will give this a go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.