Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

MUGEN MGT7 Super Touring ECO

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
Sorry, but after 30+ years of building and racing RC cars: poor instructions and poor packaging do not equal a PERFECT car!. Now that I've built a Mugen kit, I know what to look out for when building another. But I think this car will be easy to maintain (I've rebuilt it eough already) and should be awesome on the track if the results from Brownsville are any measure (only 3 ECO cars had 17 laps and 2 of them where MGT7s). In fact after the 2nd qualifier only one nitro car was qualified faster than the MGT7 ECO and it was a MGT7 nitro car.
The instructions didnt give me or 3 or 4 of my other friends problems which also have this kit. We all still consider our MGT7 perfect cars.

Although I have heard complaints about the stock motor mount not allowing many pinion size options when using the stock diff and 44ish tooth spur gear. This can be alleviated by using a center spool and much smaller spur gear. Im using a 29t spur gear.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tc4basher
The instructions didnt give me or 3 or 4 of my other friends problems which also have this kit. We all still consider our MGT7 perfect cars.

Although I have heard complaints about the stock motor mount not allowing many pinion size options when using the stock diff and 44ish tooth spur gear. This can be alleviated by using a center spool and much smaller spur gear. Im using a 29t spur gear.
Great, then we can agree to disagree. I don't think I would have had any problems with this kit if I had built a Mugen kit before or for that matter any other car where the center diff case was different than the F/R diffs. However, my RC8, RC8.2, Tekno SCT410, and Team C Truggy - all have the same diff cases F/C/R and the MGT7 diff cases look similar enough to not think they are all the same too. Funny the people at my LHS who had Mugens all knew that the center diff case was different. Must be a Mugen thing - as a logistican I would never design a unique part unless there was a really good performance justification for doing so.

BTW correction my car did come with 300K diff oil, not 600K. I must have been thinking of one of the other setups I looked at.

Since my kit is new, I probably ahve the new motor mount in my car. I have a 19T pinion with the 44T spur and there is plenty of room for a much bigger pinon (probably another 5 teeth or so), which I doubt I'll need for on road racing. However, I'm not trying to go 140 MPH with an 8s battery like tc4basher - after all this is an onroad car intendd for on road racing.

I did some testing in the driveway tonight to get the ESC setup for hopefully some test runs tomorrow on the track.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 06-05-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rnelias
just wondering how the car would handle with front locked
The car will turn in less agressively, but pull out of the corner better.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tc4basher
Well I think it may come down to personal preference. Some drivers may do better with the center diff and some with a spool depending on driving style.
If you think of a spool as just a diff with very very thick oil, then you can get a perspective of the tuning options available with the center diff. Here is a summary of what the Hudy Tuning Guide says: With thicker oil, you get better the acceleration, better onpower steering and better 4WD effect but it's can be a handfull to drive espically with a big motor. With thinner diff oil, the Front wheels tend to unload under acceleration (not good), you get better off power steering (but less on power steering) and the car is easier to drive. So depending on your driving skill level, and what your car is doing on a particular track, you might want a really stiff center diff with thick oil (aka spool) or a center diff with thinner diff oil.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 06-05-2016 at 10:41 PM. Reason: edits
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Can someone tell me the biggest motor that will fit in the mgt7 as far as dimensions go? Thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jlemieux
Can someone tell me the biggest motor that will fit in the mgt7 as far as dimensions go? Thanks
A 1717 at about 48mm diameter is the largest you can fit diameter wise. Lengthwise, a 4.5 inch long motor is max.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks man. Also I purchased the RCmonster mbx5 motor mount to fit bigger gears and the 2 speed shaft. Do you know where o can get the spur hear hub adapter ?
Old 06-18-2016, 03:03 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks man. Also I purchased the RCmonster mbx5 motor mount to fit bigger gears and the 2 speed shaft. Do you know where o can get the spur hear hub adapter ?
Saga Custom RC, RChornet, Rawsteele, and RCmonster sell spur adapters.

Last edited by tc4basher; 06-18-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

I looked on RCmonster forever last night and couldn't find it, I'd like to have that one just because I ordered their motor mount. If you have a second could you post a link to it ? Thanks
Old 06-18-2016, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

I looked on RCmonster forever last night and couldn't find it, I'd like to have that one just because I ordered their motor mount. If you have a second could you post a link to it ? Thanks
Here you go:

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?8prod=Single_Speed_Conversion

In the dropdown box select "8mm shaft revo spur gear."
Old 06-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Your the man. Thanks
Old 06-18-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Your the man. Thanks
No prob man. Good luck with your MGT7.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Ok I ended up getting my hands on another XL2 what motor would you speed pros recommend for the MGT7 ? Thanks
Old 06-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Ok I ended up getting my hands on another XL2 what motor would you speed pros recommend for the MGT7 ? Thanks
I would go with a Poseidon 1515 2200kv. Fast on 6s,7s, and 8s if you are careful. Only $110.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Ok guys I bought the RCmonster Motor mount to run bigger gearing in my MGT7. Now the diff mount is much shorter than the motor mount. Can anyone tell me what I need to buy to get this to work? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails MUGEN MGT7 Super Touring ECO-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.