Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New motors, who's hot and who's not? >

New motors, who's hot and who's not?

New motors, who's hot and who's not?

Old 07-29-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Jah2000
No one mentioned Tekin Redline motors yet?

Are they any good or do they suck?
They are just OK. They last forever.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Does anybody have dyno results showing an improvement in motor performance in new motors relative to older stuff? Something like set both motors to 45 degrees of timing and wind it out.

It's just a thought of mine how because the stack length and wire gauge is so heavily regulated the internal resistance of the motor is pretty much set, and that's 99% of power produced.
Well I can tell you from the TSR motors. Our original batch of motors (the standard long stacks motor), the best one we got out of that was a 21.3, 21.2, 21.4 motor. (in terms of internal resistance). The original batch of short stacks were the same, except we had more motors in this range. The newest batch of short stacks we are seeing motors, with numbers in the 20.5 average range. With the phases all being 20.5, many many of the motors are between 20.5-20.7 resistance. With very few being close to 21 resistance. So the internal resistance is dropping (for the TSR) motors. As I can only reference them. However, I know we have done lots of testing with other companies stuff. These are all very controlled tests, with the motors being in a room of a specific temp for over a day, to normalize them. We tested them on a dyno, and on a motolyser. As well as tested the rotors, sensor boards, and stators. We found that the TSR stators, had a lower resistance (on average), as well as better asymmetry, and deviation on the motolyser. We pride ourselves in the quality, and the quality control of our products. So to summarize, with the revised version of our newest SS stators we have a lower IR than with any previous motors. (these are all roar legal motors we have tested, so no outlaw, or illegal motors were tested)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does anybody have dyno results showing an improvement in motor performance in new motors relative to older stuff? Something like set both motors to 45 degrees of timing and wind it out.

It's just a thought of mine how because the stack length and wire gauge is so heavily regulated the internal resistance of the motor is pretty much set, and that's 99% of power produced.
The Motiv dynos out very differently from the other motors I've tested. Really waiting to see what they are like on the track to see for sure, but its not my motor so I wait.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecaptain
Well I can tell you from the TSR motors...
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The Motiv dynos out very differently from the other motors I've tested. Really waiting to see what they are like on the track to see for sure, but its not my motor so I wait.
Thanks for the response. I have a few older motors that still seem to run very well in pan car and touring and I am starting to think that the amount of improvement in motor performance that we can expect in the next generation of brushless motors is decreasing to nearly nothing.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Well, I can say that on the track the newest TSR motors are faster, and dont fade at all! Its about .1 faster at least, per lap. Which is mild yes, but I don't know what your comparing them to.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

...I am starting to think that the amount of improvement in motor performance that we can expect in the next generation of brushless motors is decreasing to nearly nothing.
That would be very good news!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecaptain
Well, I can say that on the track the newest TSR motors are faster, and dont fade at all! Its about .1 faster at least, per lap. Which is mild yes, but I don't know what your comparing them to.
Then how do you know they are faster?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Comparing a standard TSR motor, to the newest version of the SS TSR motor. Is what I meant, if your comparing them to an outlaw, or a non legal motor then I don't know what the outcome will be. As we only test our motors against legal motors (roar legal)