HPI silver springs >

HPI silver springs

HPI silver springs

Old 05-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default HPI silver springs

Hi all,

Heard a lot about these springs and they seem to be the money. Why are these so popular and how are they different to other springs?

I've ordered 2 pairs to give them a go but just wanted some feedback... I run on low/med grip asphalt.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't own them, nor did i drove em til now, but i have read on this forum that they are quite linear whereas for example the yokomo`s are more progressive.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Their rate (300gf/mm on paper) seems to be "right" for 1350g cars on med/high grip surfaces.

Low/Med grip they might prove a little too hard.

Popularity seems to stem from the fact they have been around for so long and have become a bit of a reference point for many.

Nothing that special about them in reality. 6.5 turns of 1.5mm wire in 25mm height with flat ground ends.

Many other springs out there with similar/same specs (ride red, new tamiya black, Schumacher green) but according to those that know better than I the HPI "feel" better.

I guess they don't appear on many, many pro set up sheets for no reason.

Last edited by cplus; 05-11-2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Black not red!
Old 05-10-2015, 04:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
Their rate (300gf/mm on paper) seems to be "right" for 1350g cars on med/high grip surfaces.

Low/Med grip they might prove a little too hard.

Popularity seems to stem from the fact they have been around for so long and have become a bit of a reference point for many.

Nothing that special about them in reality. 6.5 turns of 1.5mm wire in 25mm height with flat ground ends.

Many other springs out there with similar/same specs (ride red, new tamiya red, Schumacher green) but according to those that know better than I the HPI "feel" better.

I guess they don't appear on many, many pro set up sheets for no reason.
Just to add.

Ride springs are more progressive in feel (Initial response isn't as sharp).
The original Schu Green (that came with the Mi5) were closest, whereas they made a change in supplier for the Evo, and are slightly different now.
The Tamiya new Red's are no where close, quite a bit softer when testing side by side. The new Blacks are apparently close.

Myself, I'm quite keen to try some X-Gear Pinks, as these seem to be gaining popularity atm.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I hear they are made from a mix of magic fairy and unicorn dust. Automatically improves lap times by 3 tenths of a second.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Less progressive from what I have heard. They just feel "right" on my car. They seem to handle the bumps better, and the car rolls better in the turns.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-springs.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...fferences.html
Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TryHard
The Tamiya new Red's are no where close, quite a bit softer when testing side by side. The new Blacks are apparently close.
Apologies, it's blacks not reds - I have that wrong!

From L-R; TRF Black - HPI Silver - 418 Yellow

All are 6.5 coils of 1.5mm. HPI wound the other way as compared to Tamiya.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

I know people keep saying it's simple, number of coils and thickness of wire, but doesn't the type of steel employed in the spring also make a difference to it's feeling on track?

I have springs from different manufactures with their various ratings, and when pushed end to end one is clearly stiffer, yet when tried on track, sometimes the stiffer spring will appear easier to drive and in the case of some of the springs I have (T-Shox for example), despite their stiffness, they make the car very lazy and therefor slower.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Of course. Heat treatment, coating of the wire, exact properties of the steel etc will all make a difference.

There are a number of different grades of spring steel out there - but I expect that the type used for RC springs is pretty similar between manufacturers. And there would also be only a handful of suppliers - each fitting different header cards to the products

Last edited by cplus; 05-11-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
I hear they are made from a mix of magic fairy and unicorn dust. Automatically improves lap times by 3 tenths of a second.

Let alone the fact that most of the expert input givers on this forum (not necessarily this post...) can't drive 3 similar laps in a row within 0.2s to save their lives (my problem too)...

(but guess what... I have a set and although i have yet to try them, I will put them on my car as default for asphalt racing )

Last edited by Lonestar; 05-12-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Are these the correct springs that everyone is referring to as HPI silvers?

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=432

Im led to believe that these new black ones are different to the original silvers?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zhangesh
Are these the correct springs that everyone is referring to as HPI silvers?

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...w.asp?p_id=432

Im led to believe that these new black ones are different to the original silvers?
That's them. The original silver silvers are supposedly a little different but if you look at pictures of pro drivers cars 90% of the time it's the black silvers being used.