R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #151
Tech Rookie

Pardon my noobness, but I have made one discovery while I was changing to my white shocks. First, I dialed off the preload. I am using the largest preload clip + the second thickest one. If I use any less, my ride height gets way too low. I still have yet to test various ride heights, but I am looking at about 8mm rear 6mm front. The discovery is upon lifting one of the wheels alone, the car has a drastically variable amount of "articulate" in the suspension. The front right, when picked up, makes the whole car flex. When you lift the front left, it feels a lot stiffer and picks up the car more than anything. I am really stumped now. Is it the oil or something? 70wt white springs. This test was done with perfect droop settings, and even with all components taken out to ensure balance. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
Lionkev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionkev55 View Post
Pardon my noobness, but I have made one discovery while I was changing to my white shocks. First, I dialed off the preload. I am using the largest preload clip + the second thickest one. If I use any less, my ride height gets way too low. I still have yet to test various ride heights, but I am looking at about 8mm rear 6mm front. The discovery is upon lifting one of the wheels alone, the car has a drastically variable amount of "articulate" in the suspension. The front right, when picked up, makes the whole car flex. When you lift the front left, it feels a lot stiffer and picks up the car more than anything. I am really stumped now. Is it the oil or something? 70wt white springs. This test was done with perfect droop settings, and even with all components taken out to ensure balance. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
Could be uneven weight distribution or a tweaked chassis. Take the wheels off, does the chassis sit perfectly flat on a flat surface? Does it feel like it has similar flex when you try to twist it with your hands in either direction?
The TC4 does have some asymmetric flex characteristics but it shouldn't be that noticeable.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #153
Tech Rookie

I just tried flexing the chassis. It seems to have the same torsion either way. It has to be some sort of balancing problem because it shouldn't be this drastic, and the chassis is practically new. I will go outside and do some testing with the new shocks.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #154
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am sorry to inform you that you'll need to change your shock bodies to threaded ones to be able to accurately control your suspension settings...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I am sorry to inform you that you'll need to change your shock bodies to threaded ones to be able to accurately control your suspension settings...
Your own measurement compared to a pre determined mass produced part. Um what?

Threaded shocks are for racing and help you dail in left to right and front to back weight evenly.
Metalsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #156
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsoft View Post
Your own measurement compared to a pre determined mass produced part. Um what?

Threaded shocks are for racing and help you dail in left to right and front to back weight evenly.
It's still possible to dial in pretty even preload settings with the clip on spacers, they do provide some very thin ones. It's just very fiddly and time consuming. Threaded shocks are mainly a convenience, but now that I can afford them I wouldn't drive a car without them.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #157
Tech Rookie

I just tried my new shock setup with the white springs, seems to have made it better. The car feels a little more planted, but that could just be the lower ride height talking. Droop is once again set properly, and the car straight lines a bit better. Could be placebo but I think I am good here. It still likes to wander off upon throttle but I would like to think it is less harsh now. Thanks for everyone's input, time to let her run
Old 04-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #158
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great..... Now the leftover wandering might be wheel toe play or steering rack play, which can be reduced with shims... Good luck buddy....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote