I NEED SERIOUS HELP WITH MY EVO3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I NEED SERIOUS HELP WITH MY EVO3

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Sounds like you could be missing the pin that goes through the drive shaft in the rear that holds the spur in place! it can easily come out when working on the diffs. Pull the front one way & the rear diff out, push the drive shaft through from the front slowly! and see if you have the pin still in.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

nope the pin is still there, i have a question about it tho, is the pin suppose to be smalller then the regular ones that go under the hubs for the rims?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Problem with Evo3, the bevel-ring gear got damaged when you have a moderate crash. Change the front and rear bevel(smaller one) and ring gear(larger one) with the new one.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sushi as 3 or 4 have stated it is prolly the bevel gear in the diff cases. What you can't see is the gear rounds out inside. Looking at it 90% of the time most don't notice the damage that has occured. If you still have noises after replacing the parts bring it down to SIR and let Kevin, Troy or myself have a look at it and we will make sure you get fixed.

The other part that helps prevent this is the new drive shaft with larger flanges on it and is also about 2mm longer so it engages the bevels more solid.

Dan
Old 10-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know that when my Pro4 does that, there is one part of the spur that isn't stripped, but is ground down a bit, so when it reaches that part of the spur the pinion skips. Another thing, if the diff gears are held onto the axel by screws, make sure that the screws are screwed in all the way.
-Josh
Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Its the front bevel/ring gear stripped.As someone else has said, you generally cant even see the damage normally.If it is stripped it will make a loud clicking noise under power.
If you like the oneway, buy the tbevo4 aluminium front gear and the lightweight driveshaft.
Then shim the LHS of the one way so it is held in mesh with the input gear.

It will run noisier but is a lot harder to strip this way.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

is this drive shaft you guys are talking about is the light weight driveshaft for tb evo 3, and tb-02?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sushi Man
is this drive shaft you guys are talking about is the light weight driveshaft for tb evo 3, and tb-02?

Yeah thats the one, use it with the alloy oneway gear and the worst of your problem will go away

It is still possible to strip the small gear but it does take more abuse than the plastics
Old 10-17-2005, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I had a similar issue with my TB-02, The rear diff case cover was stripped and the rear diff would slip back and make noise, new gears and longer screws and the issue was solved. I would almost guarantee it was either your front or rear diff gear and bevel gear.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Sushi as 3 or 4 have stated it is prolly the bevel gear in the diff cases. What you can't see is the gear rounds out inside. Looking at it 90% of the time most don't notice the damage that has occured. If you still have noises after replacing the parts bring it down to SIR and let Kevin, Troy or myself have a look at it and we will make sure you get fixed.

The other part that helps prevent this is the new drive shaft with larger flanges on it and is also about 2mm longer so it engages the bevels more solid.

Dan
Exactly what Dan said. Replace that small bevel gear and try shimming the diff assemble 0.1-0.2 mm towards the small gear and use the newer driveshafts. I've had my fair share of running on-power coffee grinders/margarita makers
Old 10-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah, the bevel gear will strip out on the flat part where it mates to the drive shaft, i stripped a few like that do to over shimming.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

i dont get the part where i shim it, what does shimming it mean? add spacers right? THe word shimmed makes my think of fileling it or like sandpaper.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

You can buy 10x15mm(ithink thats the size might be 10x12) shims in 0.1, 0.2, 0.3mm thicknesses.
These are fitted to the lefthand side of front diff/oneway so that they push the large gear into mesh with the pinion gear.
My evo3 SE needed 0.4mm of shims to take out the play in the plastic gearcases.

You will notice that there is a lot of sideways movement in the oneway or diff.
The shims are used to take up any loose play, pushing the gears tighter together.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Forgot to add that you can also get shims for the pinion gear that fit between the fr pinion and bearing, pushing the pinion forward into the ring gear furthur.

Hope this helps mate
Old 10-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It's like adding very super thin steel washers on the sides of the diff, between the bearings. They basically move the position of the diff either closer or further away from the crown/pinion gear. When I had my car this was the key part to savign your gears. Dan and I coulds get our car's super free but still reliable at the same time.

-Korey