R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   bearings (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/87344-bearings.html)

anthony390 10-15-2005 10:49 PM

bearings

hey i just wanted to know what is the best baering out of these: teflon,rubber or metal

thanks

sampaio 10-15-2005 11:24 PM

Ceramic first and the second teflon.....

the_barbarian 10-15-2005 11:39 PM

if you want the best and have more money then sense then here you go

http://www.bocabearings.com/

Roger 10-15-2005 11:41 PM

I keep going to this one hobbyshop and the owner is trying to sell me on the APS bearings. They look pretty impressive, but I don't know how long they will last.

the_barbarian 10-15-2005 11:54 PM

I found where they hide all the kit packages man these are so dear some cost as much as a whole car

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...ide&pg=1&psg=9,

Clangeddin 10-16-2005 01:44 AM

Can you actually tell the different in driving the car with the ceramic bearing compare to the standard bearing?...Beside spending lots of money on it lol

Thanks
Richard

raving-monkey 10-16-2005 01:58 AM

i've said this efore and some people insist on ceramics being better but.....

ceramic bearings ARE NOT smoother/free er than high quality steel bearings.

for one reason, the balls cannot be ground to a finer tolerance.

also, ceramics can shatter under impact but if kept in good condition they do last longer.

xrcbuggy 10-16-2005 03:24 AM

hey i just wanted to know what is the best baering out of these: teflon,rubber or metal
Good bearings are steel bearings they have less friction than any other type. For on road car I would not go w/anything but steel bearings, for my buggys I go w/rubber or teflon. If you want good bearings with very good price check this site www.avidcrc.com .

anthony390 10-16-2005 10:12 AM

oh ya how can you tell if it is teflon because i have a bearing thats metal on one side and the other is a blue but doesnt look rubber nore metal...is it teflon and also the blue side has like circles on it but all the same color

help please!?

anthony390 10-16-2005 12:27 PM

ok why should i not use steel or metal bearings for on road :confused: because practicly all i have steel..or is it metal

dakrat 10-16-2005 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by xrcbuggy
Good bearings are steel bearings they have less friction than any other type. For on road car I would not go w/anything but steel bearings, for my buggys I go w/rubber or teflon. If you want good bearings with very good price check this site www.avidcrc.com .

somewhat i disagree.. steel bearing does not have less friction than ceramics.

koabich 10-16-2005 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by anthony390

thanks

Actually, everyone is off topic here on this post. Teflon, rubber or metal is not a bearing but the sheild of the bearing. And the debate over metal versus ceramic (and even ceramic versus ceramic) will go on forever and it's a never ending battle. But i'll tell you one thing, those that have used both a good ceramic and a good metal bearing will NEVER go back to metal bearings. One thing that I have to add is that a crash that is hard enough to shatter a ceramic ball WILL ALSO DESTROY A METAL BEARING. Yeah, sure the metal ball may not shatter but the bearing will still be useless.

Anyway, back to the point. The #1 reson for a sheild on the bearing is to help keep the bearing free of dirt and debris. The side effect of the sheild is that it adds friction to the bearing.
Rubber offers the best protection from dirt and debris, then teflon then metal. Rubber also adds the most friction to the bearing, then teflon then metal with the least friction.

On a side note, after being well used, at times teflon shields can fall off. Also, metal sheids, once dented render the bearing useless. Where teflon or rubber cannot dent...they bounce back from impacts (meaning that bearing used in the hubs or for wheels that have a rubber, plastic or teflon sheild will last longer than metal sheilded bearing in the same locations).

If you run off-road, stick with a good rubber or teflon sheild. If you run on carpet go with a teflon or plastic sheild. Metal sheilds are widely used on carpet but depending on the conditions of the carpet track, metal bearing require much more maintenance (on carpet I have found that metal shelds keep out dirt but not carpet fibers. Metal sheilds can acutally trap carpet fibers in the bearing causing you to have to replace them more often...at least, that's my experience).

cvt01 10-16-2005 09:28 PM

Try www.vxb.com , they have all kinds of bearings with either rubber or metal shield, ceramic or steel ball. And they are cheap.
I bought ceramic ones with metal shield for my xray and love them ( got 60% off in july 30 bucks for 10 ceramic bearings not bad uhh)

factory racer 10-17-2005 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by the_barbarian
if you want the best and have more money then sense then here you go

http://www.bocabearings.com/

your pretty insane or u just have money to spend if you go out and spend 225 dollars on freggin bearings.........wow it hardly makes a difference....im sure if you take those 225 dollar bearings and u put 80 dollar bearing in the same car u wont be able to notice a difference....wow

:eek: :eek: :eek:

dakrat 10-17-2005 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by factory racer
your pretty insane or u just have money to spend if you go out and spend 225 dollars on freggin bearings.........wow it hardly makes a difference....im sure if you take those 225 dollar bearings and u put 80 dollar bearing in the same car u wont be able to notice a difference....wow

:eek: :eek: :eek:

can we say overkill? even worst if you got beat by a stock rtr bearing..