Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface. >

How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Default How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface.

The new on road track at SRS is a lightly etched concrete surface.It is mostly covered and contained but the ceiling is mesh so there will be normal dust coming in. We are looking for proven methods to get the traction up. They first tried blowing off the dust and applying VHT. But the VHT tended to ball up on tires. And of coarse VHT is expensive. They are now trying to build up a thick base layer of soda. The first application did not provide enough traction. The plan is to try and build up this layer this week then blow and apply a fresh top cote on race night. Does anyone have suggestions to get the grip up on this type of surface?
Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZDemille
The new on road track at SRS is a lightly etched concrete surface.It is mostly covered and contained but the ceiling is mesh so there will be normal dust coming in. We are looking for proven methods to get the traction up. They first tried blowing off the dust and applying VHT. But the VHT tended to ball up on tires. And of coarse VHT is expensive. They are now trying to build up a thick base layer of soda. The first application did not provide enough traction. The plan is to try and build up this layer this week then blow and apply a fresh top cote on race night. Does anyone have suggestions to get the grip up on this type of surface?
There used to be a track in Oklahoma that was concrete and high bite. I believe they used to spray WD-40 on the track.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

We used soda on a concrete track we had for a short time...problem was the soda stuck better to the tires than it did to the concrete and glazed over the tires. We found that using sun tan lotion on the tires reduced the amount of sugar that stuck to the tires. It helped but wasn't an ideal solution.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I keep thinking transmission fluid, but can't remember if it was on concrete, perhaps someone else knows more.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There was an indoor track years ago that raced on the concrete floor...but had it coated w/ the same stuff you'd put on a concrete tennis court (w/traction) - I'm sure it was some type of epoxy coating ... and I believe they said that it had crushed walnut shells that provided the grip.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How would asphalt sealers do? I don't know......came to mind and was wondering.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Agree With Insp, Soda. Pepsi cuz of Fructose content. Most on-road tracks use sugar water in gardening sprayer, cheaper than soda, spots where its needed. Track only prepare during races. the wors

Asphalt sealer the makes it slicker for 72hrs. Still will need soda or sugar water.

Epoxy the worst, it make in slicker, You mite as well as using it as a Drifting track.

Last option, tire dressing.

Last edited by Geezatec; 04-04-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

One of the tracks I race at uses this to seal the asphalt and concrete on road / oval track, sealed the track Sept 2014. Race every Sat, they only blow the track before practice, haven't needed a reseal.

http://www.t3t4webservice.com/mann.html

Video from Jan 2015 track still looks good!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXKkgF1vfQU

Old 04-05-2015, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am not sure what the US equivalent is, but in Aus we use Boral coat on our concrete tracks

http://www.boral.com.au/productcatal...px?product=476
Old 04-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tmail55
One of the tracks I race at uses this to seal the asphalt and concrete on road / oval track, sealed the track Sept 2014. Race every Sat, they only blow the track before practice, haven't needed a reseal.

http://www.t3t4webservice.com/mann.html

Video from Jan 2015 track still looks good!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXKkgF1vfQU

Was the track you showed concrete? Looks like the surface is pretty good.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Any kind of sealer is just going to make it slicker. The only way to make the actual concrete rougher is to etch it more with muriatic acid. No idea if that would bring traction up or down though.

Their are concrete nascar tracks. Maybe you could get a hold of someone at one of those tracks and ask if they have any ideas.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This may not be what you want to hear....but here goes. Traction is NOT the only issue that needs attention, as I've stated in a previous posting.

The track is too short for 1/10 touring cars and GT cars, you can run Tamiya minis on it and maybe VTA. I was very surprised to see how short the straight is and how poor the visibility is from the north end of the drivers stand while negotiating the north end portion of the track......and I know I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Solution to the issues at hand:
Go out front and paint a nice big layout in the parking lot where viability is unhampered by 18-24 inch wide support beams covered with decorative bricks. Run the straights in a north / south direction to take advantage of the parking lot. Traction can be improved greatly using a blower and grape soda. Then you'll have a track that will draw in every TC driver within 50 miles.

Until I see a bigger layout it's not worth my time to drive the 40+ miles from east Mesa, make numerous changes to 2 cars to accommodate the small track only to have to change everything back for the Gilbert Hobby Town races on Saturday.

I do like the basic layout of the track but to me it needs to be a lot bigger, and a lot more accommodating for spectators. As it is I don't see much room for people to watch the races. IMHO

...and just to be fair, I think Hobby Town Gilbert could stretch their layout a bit for it to be a faster track, unfortunately some of the parking lot barriers are preventing us from enlarging the racing surface.....but at least we have traction and an unobstructed view of the entire track.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
There was an indoor track years ago that raced on the concrete floor...but had it coated w/ the same stuff you'd put on a concrete tennis court (w/traction) - I'm sure it was some type of epoxy coating ... and I believe they said that it had crushed walnut shells that provided the grip.
The tennis court I practice on sometimes is concrete and has a thick ruBberized surface sprayed on it with good traction. No clue about walnut shells.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZDemille
Was the track you showed concrete? Looks like the surface is pretty good.
It's about half concrete, half blacktop.

Tires > nitro guy run foam, ele run rubber.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tmail55
It's about half concrete, half blacktop.

Tires > nitro guy run foam, ele run rubber.
Interesting. I asked they manufacturer of the product you recommended and they said it was not for use on concrete. I was just curious if your track was concrete and if you had any adhesion or peeling issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.