Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface. >

How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface.

How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 to OttoKrosse. The hobby grows best using parking lots for races. Really increases foot traffic.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZDemille
Interesting. I asked they manufacturer of the product you recommended and they said it was not for use on concrete. I was just curious if your track was concrete and if you had any adhesion or peeling issues.
No peeling or flaking.

Don't know what was done before they treated the surface (pressure washed, acid washed or what) to remove oils from the surface. Track is on a parking lot at the business.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
This may not be what you want to hear....but here goes. Traction is NOT the only issue that needs attention, as I've stated in a previous posting.

The track is too short for 1/10 touring cars and GT cars, you can run Tamiya minis on it and maybe VTA. I was very surprised to see how short the straight is and how poor the visibility is from the north end of the drivers stand while negotiating the north end portion of the track......and I know I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Solution to the issues at hand:
Go out front and paint a nice big layout in the parking lot where viability is unhampered by 18-24 inch wide support beams covered with decorative bricks. Run the straights in a north / south direction to take advantage of the parking lot. Traction can be improved greatly using a blower and grape soda. Then you'll have a track that will draw in every TC driver within 50 miles.

Until I see a bigger layout it's not worth my time to drive the 40+ miles from east Mesa, make numerous changes to 2 cars to accommodate the small track only to have to change everything back for the Gilbert Hobby Town races on Saturday.

I do like the basic layout of the track but to me it needs to be a lot bigger, and a lot more accommodating for spectators. As it is I don't see much room for people to watch the races. IMHO

...and just to be fair, I think Hobby Town Gilbert could stretch their layout a bit for it to be a faster track, unfortunately some of the parking lot barriers are preventing us from enlarging the racing surface.....but at least we have traction and an unobstructed view of the entire track.
Thanks for your commentary but it was not solicited. This forum was created for a specific question. How to get grip on concrete? If you have off topic opinions about a facility feel free to post them elsewhere.

For those that have provided suggestions thank you. This surface is a little different and any out of the box ideas are appreciated.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
This may not be what you want to hear....but here goes. Traction is NOT the only issue that needs attention, as I've stated in a previous posting.

The track is too short for 1/10 touring cars and GT cars, you can run Tamiya minis on it and maybe VTA. I was very surprised to see how short the straight is and how poor the visibility is from the north end of the drivers stand while negotiating the north end portion of the track......and I know I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Solution to the issues at hand:
Go out front and paint a nice big layout in the parking lot where viability is unhampered by 18-24 inch wide support beams covered with decorative bricks. Run the straights in a north / south direction to take advantage of the parking lot. Traction can be improved greatly using a blower and grape soda. Then you'll have a track that will draw in every TC driver within 50 miles.

Until I see a bigger layout it's not worth my time to drive the 40+ miles from east Mesa, make numerous changes to 2 cars to accommodate the small track only to have to change everything back for the Gilbert Hobby Town races on Saturday.

I do like the basic layout of the track but to me it needs to be a lot bigger, and a lot more accommodating for spectators. As it is I don't see much room for people to watch the races. IMHO

...and just to be fair, I think Hobby Town Gilbert could stretch their layout a bit for it to be a faster track, unfortunately some of the parking lot barriers are preventing us from enlarging the racing surface.....but at least we have traction and an unobstructed view of the entire track.

The track is perfectly fine for 1/10 scale cars? Not sure where you pulled that statement from. Its an indoor facility, that's the purpose of the track not to go and race outside. Its very "one of a kind" since it is a smooth asphalt track and we are trying to get traction. The track is perfectly fine to race 1/10 scale cars. Just need to find a little more traction and would be perfect, especially for the summer months where it will be inside.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for your commentary but it was not solicited. This forum was created for a specific question. How to get grip on concrete? If you have off topic opinions about a facility feel free to post them elsewhere.

For those that have provided suggestions thank you. This surface is a little different and any out of the box ideas are appreciated.
And that is the reason for a failed off-road, Karting and soon to be on-road facility.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Stay on topic!!!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbamsey
And that is the reason for a failed off-road, Karting and soon to be on-road facility.
You're an idiot.
The onroad track is great. I enjoy using it with my daughter any chance we get
Old 04-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

The new on road track at SRS is a lightly etched concrete surface.It is mostly covered and contained but the ceiling is mesh so there will be normal dust coming in. We are looking for proven methods to get the traction up. They first tried blowing off the dust and applying VHT. But the VHT tended to ball up on tires. And of coarse VHT is expensive. They are now trying to build up a thick base layer of soda. The first application did not provide enough traction. The plan is to try and build up this layer this week then blow and apply a fresh top cote on race night. Does anyone have suggestions to get the grip up on this type of surface?

Back when SRS announced this plan one of the racers asked on this forum if anyone had run on a concrete surface successfully before and what was done to make the surface usable. The only suggestion that I remember from that thread was the use of paint mixed with play sand to provide some texture to the surface. I did not look for that thread nor do I remember if there was a suggested type of paint or mixture ratio, but perhaps someone that reads this thread may know.

Anyway while I do have doubts about this surface I wish best of luck to you in finding something that works.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:50 AM
Tech Rookie

You can also use carpet to increase the traction on concrete.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Back when SRS announced this plan one of the racers asked on this forum if anyone had run on a concrete surface successfully before and what was done to make the surface usable. The only suggestion that I remember from that thread was the use of paint mixed with play sand to provide some texture to the surface. I did not look for that thread nor do I remember if there was a suggested type of paint or mixture ratio, but perhaps someone that reads this thread may know.

Anyway while I do have doubts about this surface I wish best of luck to you in finding something that works.
Yea, we used to use a 4 to 1 paint to a silica sand gave real good traction on wet concrete this was 20 years ago when we did this in water treatment.i think that diluted down airport paint would work.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As crazy as it sounds, I will vouch for WD-40. Spray it and wipe it. Mop it, really. On the floor....
Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
As crazy as it sounds, I will vouch for WD-40. Spray it and wipe it. Mop it, really. On the floor....

Does sound crazy, did this work for rubber tire and foam (1/12)? Any idea on now it might react with the VHT already on the surface?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If vht has been sprayed, all bets are off. I do know that we were able to get rubber tire to traction roll on a polished concrete garage floor just by spraying WD -40 and wiping it with a rag. Foam, don't know.